Class of 2016 - Thoughts on the Class | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Thoughts on the Class

tep624

Living Legend
What I like:

3 DE recruits that all appear physically ready to play from Day 1. Gives the staff some flexibility with the depth chart and puts us in a solid position to weather the "Cheech and Chong" storm. When Sheppard and Ealey are available again to play this depth chart is going to look rock solid.

4 really big, really athletic Olineman. Add this crop to the class last year and our Oline depth chart looks stronger on paper than it has since at least Marrone's 2nd or 3rd year. Love this development.

Speed at WR. Butler and Riley are burners. Both should be a nightmare on the dome floor as long as they develop their receiving skills, Butler specifically since he's predominantly played QB in high school. But track speed doesn't fall off trees.

Sleepers - I think Jones and Williams are the sleepers in this class and both have a lot of upside. These aren't the "Jamal McGloster I've never played football but I'm athletic" type sleepers.

What I don't like:

Only one QB. I really like Rex. And Dungey having the clean bill of health is a much a win today as the 2016 kids we landed. But we need more. Would have really liked to have seen someone who was capable of being an immediate contributor to the 1-3 slots on the depth cart and an improvement over Wilson/Mahoney.

Size at WR. We got the speedy guys covered, but we seemed to really whiff on recruiting larger WR's.

Blue Chips - we whiffed on all the 4 stars we targeted.

Now granted, most of my not likes are directly related to the shortened recruiting cycle that this staff had. But the results are the results.

Last edited:
What I like:

3 DE recruits that all appear physically ready to play from Day 1. Gives the staff some flexibility with the depth chart and puts us in a solid position to weather the "Cheech and Chong" storm. When Sheppard and Ealey are available again to play this depth chart is going to look rock solid.

4 really big, really athletic Olineman. Add this crop to the class last year and our Oline depth chart looks stronger on paper than it has since at least Marrone's 2nd or 3rd year. Love this development.

Speed at WR. Butler and Riley are burners. Both should be a nightmare on the dome floor as long as they develop their receiving skills, Butler specifically since he's predominantly played QB in high school. But track speed doesn't fall off trees.

Sleepers - I think Jones and Williams are the sleepers in this class and both have a lot of upside. These aren't the "Jamal McGloster I've never played football but I'm athletic" type sleepers.

What I don't like:

Only one QB. I really like Rex. And Dungey having the clean bill of health is a much a win today as the 2016 kids we landed. But we need more. Would have really liked to have seen someone who was capable of being an immediate contributor to the 1-3 slots on the depth cart and an improvement over Wilson/Mahoney.

Size at WR. We got the speedy guys covered, but we seemed to really whiff on recruiting larger WR's.

Now granted, most of my not likes are directly related to the shortened recruiting cycle that this staff had. But the results are the results.

I would not be surprised to see a JUCO QB no one has spoken about come in. Provides extra security blanket without a 4 year commitment. And the system lends itself to a QB that fits performing just as well as a "big" recruit in another system.

Whiffed on 4 stars but were in the game against big programs - and SU got in late to boot.

An aside - after watching Dino's presser I will be shocked if there are not a ton of transfers after next year. He used the term "my guys" multiple times and is already talking 2017 recruiting. Underachieving WRs, little value TEs and short DBs passed over this year will be lined up to leave.

I like that the scuttlebutt on some of these kids in positions of need is that they can help right away

I would not be surprised to see a JUCO QB no one has spoken about come in. Provides extra security blanket without a 4 year commitment. And the system lends itself to a QB that fits performing just as well as a "big" recruit in another system.

Whiffed on 4 stars but were in the game against big programs - and SU got in late to boot.

An aside - after watching Dino's presser I will be shocked if there are not a ton of transfers after next year. He used the term "my guys" multiple times and is already talking 2017 recruiting. Underachieving WRs, little value TEs and short DBs passed over this year will be lined up to leave.

Yeah I also got the feeling that we're going to see some serious turnover. The way they handled the recruiting class - not as easy to handle kids already on the roster that way but I can think of off hand 5-10 that I wouldn't be surprised to not see around come fall.

What I like:

What I don't like:

The one thing I'll disagree with is that the o-lineman are big. If their listed weights are accurate, they're not so much big as they are tall. Hopefully they fill out those frames (I'm sure they will, 18yrs old + D1 strength and conditioning = quality increase in size) because at their current size I can't see how they wouldn't get pushed around if they had to play as freshman.

Last edited:
The one thing I'll disagree with is that the o-lineman are big. If their listed weights are accurate, they're not so much big as they are tall. Hopefully they fill out those frames (I'm sure they will, 18yrs old + D1 strength and conditioning = quality increase in size) because at their current size I can't see how they wouldn't get pushed around if they had to play as freshman.
Most people are using the word big for the height of the OL. That weight will come once they are in the S&C program. These are the perfect linemen we need for the offense.

Yeah by big I mean tall. They definitely have some weight room work to do but all appear to be very athletic.

VirginiaOrange said:
I would not be surprised to see a JUCO QB no one has spoken about come in. Provides extra security blanket without a 4 year commitment. And the system lends itself to a QB that fits performing just as well as a "big" recruit in another system. Whiffed on 4 stars but were in the game against big programs - and SU got in late to boot. An aside - after watching Dino's presser I will be shocked if there are not a ton of transfers after next year. He used the term "my guys" multiple times and is already talking 2017 recruiting. Underachieving WRs, little value TEs and short DBs passed over this year will be lined up to leave.

Didn't hear that. Thought he said "the guys"...

Didn't hear that. Thought he said "the guys"...
I believe he did say the guys and my guys which was followed up by "my guys that make it of spring practices"

PAcuse said:
I believe he did say the guys and my guys which was followed up by "my guys that make it of spring practices"

Ahh - right. It wasn't in reference to his recruits vs current players. But guys who are available to play in the spring (this month!)

Ahh - right. It wasn't in reference to his recruits vs current players. But guys who are available to play in the spring (this month!)
I did not mean new recruits vs guys already here. But it is clear the spring will determine who his guys are and who his guys are not. If you are one of the WRs who have contributed nothing and don't fit, you might as well pack your bags if you want to play as it isn't going to be here. Same with every other position. There are going to be multiple guys who might have played under Shafer that are going to know pretty quickly that they are never going to play here under Dino. Same conversation he had to move commits to other places.

What I like:

What I don't like:

n

You are right, we did pretty good but next year we have to do and get a lot better player. We missed out like you said on all the 4* targets. If we are going to compete , we have to start it first at recruiting. I just heard on tv 15 minutes ago that USF sign 9 (nine) 4 star recruits down here. I couldn't believe it when I heard it. But I am excited at what we got and can't wait for the season to start. But I hope and feel next year will be our time in the recruiting.

So much for the notion that if you fire a HC you can write off the recruiting class.
On paper, yes, they look good. But, nobody knows anything about this class on a collegiate field.

Regardless, the effort and results were impressive from the staff. It appears to be a solid foundation for the future along with the '15 class.

I just don't want to see guys get all hyped up around here and then hit the complete opposite end of the spectrum if there are early struggles next season, and, for this group of Fr. Too often this board gets infatuated with something and then goes catatonic when it doesn't pan out.

I'd say averages lend credence to the theory that the first class it typically a wash. Fortunately for us, it appears we have a staff that is well above average.

Its a solid building block that hopefully we can continue to build on next class and so on. I think its a best case scenario given the time DB had.

I'd be shocked if we brought in a JUCO QB.

The top uncommitted JUCO QB, according to 247, has offers from Utah State, Western Michigan, and Murray State.

There's the occasional Cam Newton. But the top JUCO kid in 2012 was that Whitner kid who played for UCONN quite poorly.

I'd be shocked if we brought in a JUCO QB.

The top uncommitted JUCO QB, according to . . . , has offers from Utah State, Western Michigan, and Murray State.

There's the occasional Cam Newton. But the top JUCO kid in 2012 was that Whitner kid who played for UCONN quite poorly.

Well, Newton was different in the sense that he had already been a scholarship QB at Florida.

Well, Newton was different in the sense that he had already been a scholarship QB at Florida.
I know. That's kind of my point. Newton was a special case and we're not going to find a stud in the JUCO ranks, especially after signing day.

I think Armstrong has some of the more impressive film of any of the commits. He’s 6-2 / 215 (list) and Dino is projecting him as a MIKE. Found that interesting but I can understand why. He really seemed to LOVE him as a prospect.

I thought they also mentioned he averages 20ppg on the basketball team.

These two things kind of work together. Tall receivers with speed are a rare breed and usually have an extra * or two.

I think Armstrong has some of the more impressive film of any of the commits. He’s 6-2 / 215 (list) and Dino is projecting him as a MIKE. Found that interesting but I can understand why. He really seemed to LOVE him as a prospect.

I thought they also mentioned he averages 20ppg on the basketball team.
Interesting. Where did you hear that they are projecting him as a MIKE? Definitively seems smart and could likely lead the defense but of the three signed LB's I assumed he would be the least likely to play MLB. Ruff is huge and Walton is large. I question if those guys have enough speed to play in space on the outside. Not saying they can't play out there but I am not so sure. I love getting bigger LB's but speed is pretty darn important on the outside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom