Thoughts on Things | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Things

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Right now Oronde is on track to get 57 receptions for 900 yards and 9 TDs for the regular season. My guess is that he ends up with over 1000 yards receiving and at least 10 TDs receiving. Seems like Coach Anae is not afraid to go to his best a lot and Oronde is our best by a long shot.

Disappointed with Courtney's play to date. He has lost some playing time and did not look comfortable last game when he was in. Seems like he is having problems adjusting to the new system. Hopefully he has a good game against Wagner and finishes the season strong.

Besides OG, Alford is the only guy I see getting open consistently against press coverage. He is probably our best blocker at WR too (kind of faint praise). Hope he gets his act together. I think he is our best bet to emerge as a solid #2 once we hit the solid defenses that are coming (NC State, Clemson, ND, Pitt, even FSU, Wake and BC are pretty solid). I think it would be a good idea to feature him in the Wagner game early and hopefully get his confidence up.

Pena was a bright spot at WR last week. I think he earned more targets this week and I hope he gets them. He is dangerous once he gets the ball in the open field.

I think Hatcher, Adams and Brown are the three guys not playing with the most potential for big plays. I am hoping one finds his way into the rotation. Based on the depth chart and what happened last week, looks like Hatcher is most likely to get a chance, followed by Adams and Brown.

On the offensive line, it sounds like Coach Babers is ready to experiment with some new lineups at OL. If there was ever going to be a game to try a new player, it is the Wagner game.

Hoping we see Enrique at RT. He is the logical guy to get a chance to play with the first team. The interesting question is, who does he replace? Thinking they will probably go with a rotation at OG featuring Davis, Bleich and Ellis. All three have had injury problems and could benefit from some rest in games. If two of the three emerge as being clearly better, give them most of the playing time.

Will someone else be given a chance at center? Vet has shown himself to be a capable RT. That would be interesting. Just don't see any viable candidate there. Josh doesn't seem ready. When OGs were tried at center, it didn't last long, which tells me they are not good fits there. Maybe Hoeh can step up here? It would be really interesting if Cruz played center and Vet played RT. That might be our most athletic lineup and might help open holes for inside running. I don't know that Enrique has worked at center though.

It will be interesting to see what happens on defense against Wagner. Wondering if we might move Johnson to one of the safety positions, temporarily anyway, to help address depth issues after the injuries we have suffered.

Good post, Tom. I share your concerns about OL optimization, and wonder if some experimentation will occur this game, prior to the bye week -- essentially giving the staff two weeks to get a "new" OL settled in.

Wonder if Ellis gets shifted to bench, Davis slides in, and Cruz gets a shot outside. A relatively experienced Ellis would then bolster the second unit, along with Cruz [the true frosh] and maybe one or two others, like Ialoa.

1 play from the Virginia game sums up the issue with Alford. It was a 3rd down in the end zone and he beat his man inside and should have went up for the ball and pulled it down with force. Instead he over reacts to a tug from the beat DB (missed call by the refs) and didn't make an attempt at the pass.

He needs to play tougher because he looks like he possesses the physical tools. It's akin to an average euro basketball player not playing tough.

Right now Oronde is on track to get 57 receptions for 900 yards and 9 TDs for the regular season. My guess is that he ends up with over 1000 yards receiving and at least 10 TDs receiving. Seems like Coach Anae is not afraid to go to his best a lot and Oronde is our best by a long shot.

Disappointed with Courtney's play to date. He has lost some playing time and did not look comfortable last game when he was in. Seems like he is having problems adjusting to the new system. Hopefully he has a good game against Wagner and finishes the season strong.

Besides OG, Alford is the only guy I see getting open consistently against press coverage. He is probably our best blocker at WR too (kind of faint praise). Hope he gets his act together. I think he is our best bet to emerge as a solid #2 once we hit the solid defenses that are coming (NC State, Clemson, ND, Pitt, even FSU, Wake and BC are pretty solid). I think it would be a good idea to feature him in the Wagner game early and hopefully get his confidence up.

Pena was a bright spot at WR last week. I think he earned more targets this week and I hope he gets them. He is dangerous once he gets the ball in the open field.

I think Hatcher, Adams and Brown are the three guys not playing with the most potential for big plays. I am hoping one finds his way into the rotation. Based on the depth chart and what happened last week, looks like Hatcher is most likely to get a chance, followed by Adams and Brown.

On the offensive line, it sounds like Coach Babers is ready to experiment with some new lineups at OL. If there was ever going to be a game to try a new player, it is the Wagner game.

Hoping we see Enrique at RT. He is the logical guy to get a chance to play with the first team. The interesting question is, who does he replace? Thinking they will probably go with a rotation at OG featuring Davis, Bleich and Ellis. All three have had injury problems and could benefit from some rest in games. If two of the three emerge as being clearly better, give them most of the playing time.

Will someone else be given a chance at center? Vet has shown himself to be a capable RT. That would be interesting. Just don't see any viable candidate there. Josh doesn't seem ready. When OGs were tried at center, it didn't last long, which tells me they are not good fits there. Maybe Hoeh can step up here? It would be really interesting if Cruz played center and Vet played RT. That might be our most athletic lineup and might help open holes for inside running. I don't know that Enrique has worked at center though.

It will be interesting to see what happens on defense against Wagner. Wondering if we might move Johnson to one of the safety positions, temporarily anyway, to help address depth issues after the injuries we have suffered.
I completely agree about building Alford's confidence. He looks like he has the tools. He needs to be more aggressive and come down with some of these catches. If it isn't a lack of confidence then it may not be something that can be fixed this season. At least if we can get him to put up big numbers vs Wagner other DC will have to consider planning for him.

Hard for me to see how a guy averaging less than 1 catch a game is a viable #2.
Yeah. He has the physical characteristics, but he's not more productive than Queeley.

I'm mystified that Queeley is so out of the mix. Was his injury really bad? Is he just not picking up the offense?

No idea what's going on there.

I completely agree about building Alford's confidence. He looks like he has the tools. He needs to be more aggressive and come down with some of these catches. If it isn't a lack of confidence then it may not be something that can be fixed this season. At least if we can get him to put up big numbers vs Wagner other DC will have to consider planning for him.

We don't even target him that much. Are we using him as a decoy? Is he not getting open ever? Is Shrader's sideline issue the cause?

The kid is averaging 0.8 catches and 15.8 yards per game for his career. This season is right in line with those averages. If he were only getting Pena type of mins as a specialty guy, it wouldn't be an issue.

I do wonder if you put Wes in at center, play the 3 OG, and move vet to RT or put Cruz at RT. Wouldn’t mind seeing what that line could do.

I’m choosing Wes because they just think he’s athletic and can block given that they have put him in rhinos spot. On your o line center is the one spot (imo) you can be lighter and more athletic. Especially when you are flanked by mastodons.

That’s also when we switched Vett out of the center position And run game opened up.

We have taken him out of the center 3 consecutive years and every. Single. time. The run game got better.

I thought it was the other way around. Moved Vett from OT to C, and moved Servais from C to OT.

And also started Berg in place of the quitter.

I think Jackson is better suited to working on the inside, he's more comfortable working in space than against a matchup.

Alford can take the next step if he gets more physical. He let's DB's bully him. Definitely agree that if he gets more aggressive and shows that he can deal with the physicality of playing on the outside and competing for balls he will be hard to stop. I want to see Shrader throw to leverage with Alford.

Without a doubt, we have to get Pena more touches in space. He is a game breaker. Have to get him the rock way more.

Same goes for Tucker, when he is available on the outlet out of the backfield that should be an automatic throw when the qb comes off his read.

Would like to see Hatcher get some run. I'm guessing he's not quite strong enough, but I think he's a dynamic route runner with hands. He's going to be a really good one.

I don't know what's going to happen with the OL. I think it's more scheme than personnel though, although I thought Cruz looked really solid in the spring. Im curious what it would look like with him at tackle and move Davis back inside. Davis doesn't seem comfortable on the outside but I thought he was a hell of a run blocker when he was at guard.

I think Jackson is better suited to working on the inside, he's more comfortable working in space than against a matchup.

Alford can take the next step if he gets more physical. He let's DB's bully him. Definitely agree that if he gets more aggressive and shows that he can deal with the physicality of playing on the outside and competing for balls he will be hard to stop. I want to see Shrader throw to leverage with Alford.

Without a doubt, we have to get Pena more touches in space. He is a game breaker. Have to get him the rock way more.

Same goes for Tucker, when he is available on the outlet out of the backfield that should be an automatic throw when the qb comes off his read.

Would like to see Hatcher get some run. I'm guessing he's not quite strong enough, but I think he's a dynamic route runner with hands. He's going to be a really good one.

I don't know what's going to happen with the OL. I think it's more scheme than personnel though, although I thought Cruz looked really solid in the spring. Im curious what it would look like with him at tackle and move Davis back inside. Davis doesn't seem comfortable on the outside but I thought he was a hell of a run blocker when he was at guard.

Agree 144% with all of this.

Courtney just hasn't been the same guy since he got moved out of the slot.

Tucker outta the backfield is just easy money.
Check down to him every. single. time. if the first read isn't there.

I like Hatcher too - he's a taller Taj, and Taj wasn't exactly a brute physically. ;)

Davis is a guard. Period.
He's a liability at Tackle, just doesn't have the mobility for that spot.
Let's get Cruz working into that Tackle position, and let him compete for more and more time there.
Dude is the future, and the future is now.

Will be interesting to see the adjustments the coaches make for NC St and the gauntlet through October & November.
Cruz at R-OT makes sense, with a 3 guard rotation. Think Vet is the center - no great back-up to replace our starter there.
RB — think Tucker would benefit if his back-ups get some opportunity. Certainly this week, but even in the tougher games ahead.
WR - need someone to replace the production of Jones. Whoever is productive in practices - as fans we haven’t seen enough to rank Hatcher, Adams, Brown. But finding the right guy is important to restore balance to the offense.

Will be interesting to see the adjustments the coaches make for NC St and the gauntlet through October & November.
Cruz at R-OT makes sense, with a 3 guard rotation. Think Vet is the center - no great back-up to replace our starter there.
RB — think Tucker would benefit if his back-ups get some opportunity. Certainly this week, but even in the tougher games ahead.
WR - need someone to replace the production of Jones. Whoever is productive in practices - as fans we haven’t seen enough to rank Hatcher, Adams, Brown. But finding the right guy is important to restore balance to the offense.

I defer to coaches like CIL and Money on this -- but to me, it seems like Vett and Ellis [despite his massive size] BOTH struggle in run blocking. So the two playing in tandem next to each other is an even bigger issue.

Davis is a natural RG. Sliding him inside and inserting Cruz -- a natural OT -- at RT should go a long way toward improving that deficiency. I'm guessing that it would be beneficial to pass pro, as well, long term.

I'm also going to be paying attention to the guys behind Darton at DT, now that Lockett is gone for the season. I'm hoping that both Fuentes-Cundiff and Bassette are capable of replacing some of that lost production. Both were quality "gets" as recruits, and we probably need them both to help fill the void.

Wonder if we'll see an OL of Berg, Ellis, Davis, Bleich and Vet? Don't know if he can snap, but Davis is def. better inside, and Vet was better at RT. Maybe we'll see a Wagner experiment. As far as blocking I'm with you and ClkWrkOrange ... we're better at zone than gap ... as long as our RB is patient.

Receiver ... to me the X factor is Pena. He's dangerous in space, and I think more effective than Cooper in the slot. In fact, he's valuable enough that I think Jackson should be fielding KO's (Pena is so fearless it's like suicide ball). Alford is a great kid ... but wow he's got a lot of bad habits: lets smaller DB's bully him; doesn't drag a toe on boundary catches; fails to turn away from coverage after the catch (allowing DB's to strip him), etc. We have a fantastic QB coach .. so I'm sure these things are being worked on. Other than that I'd like to see Hatcher or Brown get in the mix given the injury to Jones.

Good things from Sparrow on D ... he catches on quickly and makes plays. So do Lowery and Linton. Johnson has prototypical Safety size, hope we see him there, along with some snaps for Oliver.

Last edited:
It feels like we are back in the off-season with this much time in between real games

I defer to coaches like CIL and Money on this -- but to me, it seems like Vett and Ellis [despite his massive size] BOTH struggle in run blocking. So the two playing in tandem next to each other is an even bigger issue.

Davis is a natural RG. Sliding him inside and inserting Cruz -- a natural OT -- at RT should go a long way toward improving that deficiency. I'm guessing that it would be beneficial to pass pro, as well, long term.

I'm also going to be paying attention to the guys behind Darton at DT, now that Lockett is gone for the season. I'm hoping that both Fuentes-Cundiff and Bassette are capable of replacing some of that lost production. Both were quality "gets" as recruits, and we probably need them both to help fill the void.

I just wish we had a natural center who could walk and chew gum (snap and block).

Vett looked pretty good at tackle last year before the VT cheap shot. Would have given Cruz another year to get stronger.

I just have this weird feeling they haven’t been using Tucker as the safety valve in the early games because they knew/felt they could beat the teams

By not constantly checking down to Tucker, when the NC States, Clemsons etc watch film they are hoping that they won’t key in on the easy check down that seems to always be there

Totally a conspiracy theory LOL

I just have this weird feeling they haven’t been using Tucker as the safety valve in the early games because they knew/felt they could beat the teams

By not constantly checking down to Tucker, when the NC States, Clemsons etc watch film they are hoping that they won’t key in on the easy check down that seems to always be there

I mean, maybe though. Shrader straight looks him off when he's wide open.

That'd be a weird way to play it, since we were seconds away from losing to both Purdue and UVA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom