No cause of death found for ex-QB Finnerty

Blogs

Analysis of Steve Gregory's 2012-2013 play

Steelers OTAs: A Golden opportunity for Steelers defensive backs

CNY

I-81's Future in Syracuse

University News

Immersed in Multimedia at Syracuse University

Route 81 should be torn down and a boulevard should be built.

The city needs this to spur growth and development.

I hope the stretch through the city is removed once and for all.

Route 81 should be torn down and a boulevard should be built.

The city needs this to spur growth and development.

I hope the stretch through the city is removed once and for all.
As long as I can use I481 to get around the city. Pissing people off doesn't exactly encourage them to get anywhere near the city, much less encourage growth or development. Nothing like a slow slog through traffic to drive people away.

As long as I can use I481 to get around the city. Pissing people off doesn't exactly encourage them to get anywhere near the city, much less encourage growth or development. Nothing like a slow slog through traffic to drive people away.
It's 1.4 miles in downtown and the boulevard will likely improve intra-downtown traffic.

It's 1.4 miles in downtown and the boulevard will likely improve intra-downtown traffic.
Why do I want to get off a freeway for any miles whatsoever? Thats what off ramps are for. It just doesn't make any sense. Do you have any idea of the number of additional vehicles (and most wanting nothing to do there) will do for traffic? Improvement does not come to mind. Going from a steady 55 MPH to stop and go may be your idea of fun. It isn't mine.

Why do I want to get off a freeway for any miles whatsoever? Thats what off ramps are for. It just doesn't make any sense. Do you have any idea of the number of additional vehicles (and most wanting nothing to do there) will do for traffic? Improvement does not come to mind. Going from a steady 55 MPH to stop and go may be your idea of fun. It isn't mine.

You really don't get it.

A highway splitting downtown real easte ruins commercial development - and did exactly that.

Removing a highway that disrupts commercial and residential growth will be a good thing.

Take 481

You really don't get it.

A highway splitting downtown real easte ruins commercial development - and did exactly that.

Removing a highway that disrupts commercial and residential growth will be a good thing.

Take 481
Don't want another Erie blvd. Should be a tunnel through the city, surface streets for local traffic.

Capt. Tuttle said:
Don't want another Erie blvd. Should be a tunnel through the city, surface streets for local traffic.

Right.

Who wants commercial development downtown.

Ugh.

You will get half your wish. A tunnel doubles the cost.

You don't have to get off a freeway for any miles whatsoever. If you want to stay on 81, stay on 81 (481) . If you want to go into downtown, take the downtown exit (old 81 to boulevard) and drive around downtown just like people do now. It'll actually make it easier to get around downtown and if you don't want to get off the highway because you don't plan to stop in downtown...don't.

Right.

Who wants commercial development downtown.

Ugh.
You don't have to get off a freeway for any miles whatsoever. If you want to stay on 81, stay on 81 (481) . If you want to go into downtown, take the downtown exit (old 81 to boulevard) and drive around downtown just like people do now. It'll actually make it easier to get around downtown and if you don't want to get off the highway because you don't plan to stop in downtown...don't.
You have one valid point. It will make it easier to get around. Fewer people, fewer cars. More parking spots always available. I think I'm getting it.

What still baffles me is why interstates throughout the country are the major development corridors. Guess ease of access isn't really important.

You have one valid point. It will make it easier to get around. Fewer people, fewer cars. More parking spots always available. I think I'm getting it.

What still baffles me is why interstates throughout the country are the major development corridors. Guess ease of achttp://syracusefan.com/threads/thursday-articles.52893/#post-657718cess isn't really important.
Maybe you don't understand the boulevard plan. The interstate will go around downtown, not through it. The portion of route 81 that leads to the 1.4 mile downtown boulevard will remain though no longer called 81. It is a highway that will come right into downtown. How's that worse than today? Let's say you are coming in from south of Syracuse and you want to do downtown. You take the Old 81 highway in...and that leads to the 6 lane boulevard. Right now, you can take 81 and you have one exit option off 81 to downtown. In addition, the boulevard, with none of the north-south "highway" traffic for those going to Canada or southern points that would bypass the downtown, will make getting from point to point downtown easier.