Tier 3 Multimedia Rights in the ACC | Syracusefan.com

Tier 3 Multimedia Rights in the ACC

MaxwellCuse

All Conference
I think this may be the briefest, clearest explanation of tier 3 rights and how much ACC teams are currently earning from them that I have seen. This information is provided by ESPNJacket, a poster on Georgia Tech's Scout forum who has a fair degree of industry knowledge:

"Third tier rights are hard to compare.

First of all, third tier rights are mostly not about television. In order to make it even worth discussing, we can stick to only television third tier.

The Big Ten has all of the third tier television rights to everything.

In the ACC, ESPN has the rights to everything but obviously does not show the majority of non-football and non-basketball games. When ESPN doesn't pick up a game, the rights revert to the home team.

Third tier television rights are just not important. The Longhorn Network experiment made people think there was some bonanza to be made. The experiment can't even get on cable in Texas.

The ACC has more rights to third tier television content than the Big Ten but it doesn't really matter.

The money in third tier is in radio, signage, coaches shows, etc. plus cross promotion of all of that stuff. UNC makes about $10M off of that. GT and NC State make about $5M. Pretty much everyone contracts that out to IMG or Learfield or whoever. It gets really complicated and everyone splits that stuff up differently in their books so it is pretty much impossible to compare."

For a fully discussion on Tier 3 multimedia rights and the ACC go to the Hive Sports Center on the Scout Georgia Tech forum.

http://mbd.At their request, this n...is site./mb.aspx?s=140&f=2938&t=10551349&p=28

So, it sounds like we can still sell our games not picked up by ESPN to SNY or MSG.

I can see ACC lacrosse programming becoming a moderately profitable entity for the conference...