Tiger Woods wasn't good today ... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Tiger Woods wasn't good today ...

Cantlay with a 2 shot lead with nine to go. A win would bring him to about #18 in the world. Quite the story for someone who started his comeback from significant personal injury and tragedy just a few years ago. He didn't play any events from between October 2014 to February 2017. For some reason I always remember the 60 he shot in Hartford as a teen, but forgot it was 7 years ago.

He was below #1500 in the world when he started his comeback last February at Pebble Beach.

Bryson wins in OT, but the headline is still “Tiger settles for 72”.

The golf media really needs to move on.

Couldn't agree more. It's good that Tiger is back competing but it's an insult to both the other great players and golf fans that are more than just occasional observers.

Bryson wins in OT, but the headline is still “Tiger settles for 72”.

The golf media really needs to move on.

I dont think they need to move on, but at least try to be reasonable to all the other golfers doing great things, ie winning.

The leader, Joaquin Niemann also adds some intrigue to this event. A 19 year old, former top amateur from South America, who may become one of the top players in not that many years.

How many South Americans have been in the world top 10? I think Camilo Villegas reached it, and that was for a very short time. Another player whose career faded very quickly.

But would still love to see Tiger win this. The last 3 holes have been so-so. Can't keep relying on hitting your 5 feet Par testers.

Angel Cabrera comes to mind.

Angel Cabrera comes to mind.

Cabrera peaked at 12 and that was before the years he won the majors in 2007 and 2009. Cabrera had a knack (a good one) to only really rise in certain majors. 2 of his 3 PGA tour wins were major victories, and 1 of his 5 Euro Tour wins was the tour flagship event.

But he was just extremely inconsistent outside of those 2 major wins + his BMW win. He did not put up enough good results to ever get in the top 10.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. It's good that Tiger is back competing but it's an insult to both the other great players and golf fans that are more than just occasional observers.

The first question I ask is how well Tiger did because I find it is a captivating story... but then I ask several other questions because there is some other great stories and competition out there.

But ultimately sports headlines cater to the masses. Many sports fans that do go to these news sites, do only want to know one thing when it comes to golf. Both haters and fans.

Last edited:
Cabrera peaked at 12 and that was before the years he won the majors in 2007 and 2009. Cabrera had a knack (a good one) to only really rise in certain majors. 2 of his 3 PGA tour wins were major victories, and 1 of his 5 Euro Tour wins was the tour flagship event.

But he was just extremely inconsistent outside of those 2 major wins + his BMW win. He did not put up enough good results to ever get in the top 10.

He reached #9 one year, likely 2005 or 2007.

http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=5717

I used that same page when I made my original comment (missing the obvious data in the top), but there are real inconsistencies in the information.

We are both right based on the data. You can look at form tables on the side to see where he was after every event. If you open up the form table and you look at his ranking after every event (which I did in his good years) he never got higher than 11. (Edited from 12)

Not sure why it is inconsistent but one of the two have to be wrong.

Last edited:
The first question I ask is how well Tiger did because I find it is a captivating story... but then I ask several other questions because there is some other great stories and competition out there.

But ultimately sports headlines cater to the masses. Many sports fans that do go to these news sites, do only want to know one thing when it comes to golf. Both haters and fans.

I get it. But it's still a disservice to so many great golfers and to serious golf fans. At some point they (media and casual golf fans) need to get over their Tiger fixation.

I used that same page when I made my original comment (missing the obvious data in the top), but there are real inconsistencies in the information.

We are both right based on the data. You can look at form tables on the side to see where he was after every event. If you open up the form table and you look at his ranking after every event (which I did in his good years) he never got higher than 11. (Edited from 12)

Not sure why it is inconsistent but one of the two have to be wrong.

The OWGR website only shows the player's position after each event in which they participate. In 2005, Cabrera finished week 38 (HSBC Match Play) ranked 11th. He did not play again until week 41 (WGC AMEX). In between, it looks like he peaked in weeks 39 & 40 by NOT playing, and subsequently fell back after the AMEX after his T18 finish was surpassed by David Toms (T6) and Jim Furyk (T15).

The OWGR website only shows the player's position after each event in which they participate. In 2005, Cabrera finished week 38 (HSBC Match Play) ranked 11th. He did not play again until week 41 (WGC AMEX). In between, it looks like he peaked in weeks 39 & 40 by NOT playing, and subsequently fell back after the AMEX after his T18 finish was surpassed by David Toms (T6) and Jim Furyk (T15).

You are correct. The ratings were very tight between Furyk, Perry and Cabrera. He got to #9 in week 40.

http://dps.endavadigital.net/owgr/doc/content/archive/2005/owgr40f2005.pdf

It's been 12 years, but most of the world top 25 at that time are totally irrelevant today. I would have expected there were a few more but you have basically have Tiger, Phil and Sergio as relevant. Then you have to go all the way down to #41 in Henrik Stenson.

You could also include Adam Scott, but I just heard today that he didn't even qualify automatically for the US Open. He has really fallen.

Tiger 4 stright birdies to get within 1 at TPC Avenel. Not the strongest field (WGOR SOF of 34) = he is behind 5 players who share the lead. Molinari and Hossler though are solid players who share the lead.

Let's see if can reverse his 2018 trend of Sunday fades

Let's see if can reverse his 2018 trend of Sunday fades

He started his fade as soon as I posted. Ended up losing one shot down the stretch, and is now 6 back.

But overall this year, I think I saw that he was #1 in Saturday scoring, and #80 in Sunday scoring. Just does not handle pressure great anymore.

He started his fade as soon as I posted. Ended up losing one shot down the stretch, and is now 6 back.

But overall this year, I think I saw that he was #1 in Saturday scoring, and #80 in Sunday scoring. Just does not handle pressure great anymore.

I think it's more of the physical toll. His steroid and surgery addled body can't win after 4 rounds anymore.

I think it's more of the physical toll. His steroid and surgery addled body can't win after 4 rounds anymore.

Given that they play 18-27 holes of practice golf, somehow his body is able to turn it up more than anybody on tour between holes 55-72 of the week, but then it falls apart at hole 73-90. Not linear at all like you are suggesting. It's mental - he is feeling great pressure just to win a few events, and once he gets in contention it really ramps up.

Same as when he won 8 tournaments in 15 months in 2012 and 2013, and yet struggled mightily at majors because the pressure was high as every event passed to even have a shot at Jack's record.r e

Last edited:
I would replace Rory

That post was from 19 months ago. These threads over long time frames always get confusing.

Given that they play 18-27 holes of practice golf, somehow his body is able to turn it up more than anybody on tour between holes 55-72 of the week, but then it falls apart at hole 73-90. Not linear at all like you are suggesting. It's mental - he is feeling great pressure just to win a few events, and once he gets in contention it really ramps up.

Same as when he won 8 tournaments in 15 months in 2012 and 2013, and yet struggled mightily at majors because the pressure was high as every event passed to even have a shot at Jack's record.r e

I think there is some wear and tear/fatigue in there somewhere. It's a young man's game. You often see some of the oldsters be in contention at the majors for a round or two only to fade badly after that. Some part (how much who knows?) of that is conditioning (both physical and mental). I think the same holds for Tiger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom