Tight Ends | Syracusefan.com

Tight Ends

CsonkaStash

Starter
I feel like we are really missing Ravian Pierce and his incredible talent and physicality as well blocking on screens and sweeps. He had a great chemistry with Devito and they hooked up for some plays too. It is a shame that Gabe Horan was disqualified medically because he had major potential. I guess who will step up Hackett or Benson ? Hackett has the bulk like Pierce did but Horan would have been great at 6'6. I would love to see us throw some more Pop passes to the TE.

We need to run well enough that the TEs can get free releases.

When is the last time SU had a truly elite, NFL-potential, pass catcher at TE. We usually have solid, capable guys with flashes, but I cant recall the last time we had one that we could incorporate into the offense as a consistent ~5 target a game guy.

I feel like we are really missing Ravian Pierce and his incredible talent and physicality as well blocking on screens and sweeps. He had a great chemistry with Devito and they hooked up for some plays too. It is a shame that Gabe Horan was disqualified medically because he had major potential. I guess who will step up Hackett or Benson ? Hackett has the bulk like Pierce did but Horan would have been great at 6'6. I would love to see us throw some more Pop passes to the TE.
In terms of the passing game, last year, Pierce caught 16 balls for 105 yards (6.6 ypc) and 3 TDs.
This year, Hackett and Benson have combined on 6 catches for 57 yards (9.5 ypc). Zero TDs.
We're doing just fine. This output should increase with time and experience for both DeVito and the TEs.

I am not equipped to speak to Pierce's contributions to the run game, pass blocking, etc.

Young Mr. Benson is going to be a weapon in the future.
I am SUPER impressed with his abilities. I mean the kid runs like a deer. He will put on 10-15 lbs this offseason and he is going to be a WEAPON. A couple 2 TE sets with him and Hackett would make me happy.

As the OP said, losing Horan was a loss.

When is the last time SU had a truly elite, NFL-potential, pass catcher at TE. We usually have solid, capable guys with flashes, but I cant recall the last time we had one that we could incorporate into the offense as a consistent ~5 target a game guy.

Riley Dixon, but he sacrificed himself for the good of the team to punt.

In terms of the passing game, last year, Pierce caught 16 balls for 105 yards (6.6 ypc) and 3 TDs.
This year, Hackett and Benson have combined on 6 catches for 57 yards (9.5 ypc). Zero TDs.
We're doing just fine. This output should increase with time and experience for both DeVito and the TEs.

I am not equipped to speak to Pierce's contributions to the run game, pass blocking, etc.
He was a hell of a blocker when I watched him. We still aren’t a nfl destination for te cause we don’t throw the ball inbetween hashes. I have said before that if I was a Mahar type kid I wouldn’t come here cause we don’t throw to them. Watch the tape. It’s hard to understand why we don’t use all the field.

I really like Hackett and think he'll do a very good job overall at TE. Benson, if he can block, will add a faster TE and Elmore, if he can get open, will add some thunder.

we dont use the TEs right now because we cant block with the Oline as well as we want too. We use them more to try to make the D use different sets to honor it whether we actually throw to them or not

Benson is going to be a player. Staff is high on him. Great route runner and decent elusiveness in the open field.

I always thought Tom Ferron was going to turn into something. Then he just disappeared. Blame it on GRob.