Time For Army To Get On The Schedule | Syracusefan.com

Time For Army To Get On The Schedule

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Moving to the ACC we will not be playing Rutgers and UConn anymore as far as I know...I suggest we try to get games going with Army on a fairly regular basis. One idea I have is the teams play for the "10th Mountain Trophy" or the "10th Mountain Flag".
41FPguVDH1L._SL500_SS500_.jpg

After the game is over Syracuse should follow Military Academy tradition and sing the West Point Alma Mater with the Cadets and West Point Players would do likewise with Syracuse.

images

A game at West Point is >>>>>>> better than a game in Piscataway or East Hartford.
Michie_Stadium_South_display_image.jpg
a25d1e0991323ed8i3.jpg
Rentschler_CT_3_03.jpg

Thoughts?

I feel like you've pitched this before...

If so, it was a good idea then and a good idea now. If not, it's a good idea.

Works for me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

West Point (and the entire area) is a beautiful place to visit, especially in the fall. And you can't beat the tradition and atmosphere. I have had the opportunity to attend games at both West Point and the Naval Academy (during the undefeated season). Can't be beat. Get 'er done, Dr.

I love the idea. The two longstanding D1A football programs in New York State. It should already be happening.

wouldn't the tenth have to support army when playing a non-miltary school.

it would be great to play army though and have thousands of cadets in the dome and the 'cuse fans down there.

wouldn't the tenth have to support army when playing a non-miltary school.

it would be great to play army though and have thousands of cadets in the dome and the 'cuse fans down there.

Remember only a small percentage of the Army personnel actually attended West Point...tons of the "Regular Joe's" come from around the NE who are posted at Ft Drum and have no connection to West Point...some of them will cheer for Cuse. You really think CuseTroop would cheer for Army over Syracuse if he was stationed at Ft Drum?

When I was in the Air Force I liked seeing USAFA do well but I wouldn't have put them in my top 10 list of teams back then.

Moving to the ACC we will not be playing Rutgers and UConn anymore as far as I know...I suggest we try to get games going with Army on a fairly regular basis. One idea I have is the teams play for the "10th Mountain Trophy" or the "10th Mountain Flag".

After the game is over Syracuse should follow Military Academy tradition and sing the West Point Alma Mater with the Cadets and West Point Players would do likewise with Syracuse.

images

A game at West Point is >>>>>>> better than a game in Piscataway or East Hartford.
a25d1e0991323ed8i3.jpg
Rentschler_CT_3_03.jpg

Thoughts?
Right or wrong, I don't expect Syracuse to schedule Rutgers or UConn in football as long as they are in the Big East and SU is in the ACC for the same reasons BC will not schedule them.
Same applies to Temple. I think the only way this happens is if it were put of the recent agreement to let SU leave the BE a year early. Looks like there was at least one scheduling requirement tied to that agreement...a home and home series with Villanova. I bet the Nova thing was a bone thrown to the basketball schools to help ease the stink of losing their biggest draw each year.

In my opinion, it makes no sense to play regular season games at Yankee Stadium. It is an awful venue for football and there is little room for tailgating. If we are going to play games in the NYC area, it should be at MetLife. But I think we are going to find that the NYC alums are going to do a terrible job supporting SU football games on their doorstep, as they always have, and we are going to struggle to draw 40K for any game there unless the opponent has a huge fan base (like Notre Dame or perhaps Penn State, Ohio State or Michigan). So I don't think we are going to see many games there...only games against truly big names.

West Point is a nice alternative, a great place to visit, it has good facilities for tailgating, it is far easy to get to for fans from upstate NY and is also an easy drive or train ride for the NYC area folks. As Mark points out, the growing ties between the 10th Mountain Division and Syracuse just make the series more of a no brainer. And let's be honest, playing Army is good because it is almost a sure win, something the program badly needs for OOC games.

Let's do this and get it done ASAP.

I remember Army coming to the Dome and McNabb saluting the cadets in the stands after a touchdown. I have always thought we shoukd play army every year... Should just make it a permanent game every season.

I remember Army coming to the Dome and McNabb saluting the cadets in the stands after a touchdown. I have always thought we shoukd play army every year... Should just make it a permanent game every season.

I'm for the games and I would like the Orange to parade over and salute the cadets as a team. Prearrange this act with Army so everyone that complains about it being an insult will shut up. Saluting the cadets is a small thing to honor these kids. I also like the idea of the teams singing the alma maters, shows that the game is on the field and the off the field we support these kids.

For the record, I have never heard anyone complain about a game at West Point, everyone loved the atmosphere, campus and scenery.

I'm all for playing Army every year, but it's not an easy train ride from NYC. Other side of the river from the train. I think a bus is supposed to be easier.

I'm all for playing Army every year, but it's not an easy train ride from NYC. Other side of the river from the train. I think a bus is supposed to be easier.
You are correct about the train stop being on the other side of the Hudson...But NYC Alumni can charter a boat from Manhattan and sail up the Hudson (with booze) and dock a short walk away from Michie. I did this trip before for another function unrelated to football. Very fun...you can basically tailgate on the water.

http://texanmarktailgate.blogspot.com/2011/05/army-tailgate-and-visitors-guide-11.html

images

a25d1e0991323ed8i3.jpg
Rentschler_CT_3_03.jpg

Thoughts?
wow, I never realized how nice the seetting for Michie Stadium is...an infinitely better option

I'd be fine with this.

Notes about the series.
Games played - 21
Syracuse leads series 11-10

The last time Syracuse lost to Army was in '86. We've only played three times since them.