Time to hit the brakes | Syracusefan.com

Time to hit the brakes

Cuseregular

Hall of Fame
A bit.
image.jpeg

What a wonderful problem to have compared to past problems with the program and I am not normally the one to sound the alarm for concern but haven't seen anything to this effect yet. It has been absolutely exhilarating to read see and hear the unbridled optimism and enthusiasm going on in this town and on here. In all my years following the program (which is many back to 1973), I've never seen the optimism and excitement at the level it is right now (NEVER!).

And there is a very good reason for a lot optimism no question for all of the reasons that have been pointed out on here and in the articles on the on the program whether it be an easier schedule, some good returning talent, etc. That said it is going to be very difficult to maintain and meet last year's level of success, have so few injuries, such a good turnover ratio again, etc., and especially so when you lose "program" type players, in this case one on each side of the ball.

It is hard to underestimate the loss of these program changing players in Dungey and slayton not only with their on the field performance but also influences with their leadership off the field as well in the intangibles area. I have no doubt there are more than capable players in place but it is just so hard to not lose a beat when you lose these kinds of kids (which in my mind Babers was expressing concern over in his interview with Rome today).

So I can't help but feel the gif above applies with the need to temper our enthusiasms a bit, at least a little bit, especially since we are not and will no longer sneak up on anyone getting their "A" game performances now. Specifically I'm not sure we get to 2-0 out of the gate even though it is certainly obvious the overall trend of the program is exactly where it needs to be, I'm thinking that we end up with a 8-4, 7-5 type of season which given all the factors in play I'd be ok with and think would be acceptable at this point in the program's resurrection.

Anything more or better would be icing on the cake and would solidify in my mind that not only do we have one of the best coaches in the country, but probably the best. Regardless if I'm right or wrong it's absolutely awesome to be a Syracuse football fan right now.

I am reveling in the fact that I have been able to be prolific lately in sending out every link possible to all the past naysayers in my sphere who said what is happening, and has happened, was not possible. That Babers would leave after last year, etc, so it's been fun anytime there is an article about the teams rankings, program direction or even as a Darkhorse contender for the playoff to send those links off into the ethers of the Internet to whomever didn't think what is happening was even possible.

So It's all good Cuse fans, and even though I think we need to hit the brakes a bit, let me say thank you Dino for our relevance once again, thank you AD Wildhack for your stewardship, and thank you fans for stepping up to the plate and allowing Dino to even make the semi true statement about a sold out (Syracuse University) "Dome" for every game....let's enjoy the hell out of the ride that the next few months will bring! Go Cuse.

Last edited:
To each his own.

I'm going to floor it, and see how much air I can get over that next hill. And I'm going to keep doing it 'til I crash and burn.

I might even push that nitrous button. We haven't started this well in 20 years. Yeah. I'm getting my car airborne. It's how much you enjoy the ride, that counts.

All due respect, but this is the kinda post that will be bumped at the end of the season when Dino leaves for Notre Dame, USC, or wherever... It will be "told you" and some self loathing statement about how "We're not allowed to have nice things..."

We'll, funk that.

I'll have a nice helping of blisfull delusion with no talk to the contrary... Thank you very much.

Sorry, didn’t endure the last almost twenty years of losing football only to become a realist after a good season. Expect board meltdowns of epic proportions this Fall if we lose. IF. And I’ll be in the vanguard of the irrational. God forbid we lose going into a bye week. Oh those are bad times.

I love ya, Cuseregular, but I'll never understand posts like this. If there is ever a time for unbridled enthusiasm it's at the beginning of a football season where we're ranked in the preseason for the first time in 20 years. If you can't enjoy this feeling now, what can you enjoy?

I mean the downside is just a little disappointment; it's not like Syracuse fans haven't had copious amounts of practice in dealing with that over the past two decades.

7 and over wins is a huge W for this program.

That being said, if we handle our business 10 is possible. Louisville and NC State are question marks at best. The dome will be electric for Pittsburgh and BC.

Wake and FSU could give us problems.

All due respect, but this is the kinda post that will be bumped at the end of the season when Dino leaves for Notre Dame, USC, or wherever... It will be "told you" and some self loathing statement about how "We're not allowed to have nice things..."

We'll, funk that.

I'll have a nice helping of blisfull delusion with no talk to the contrary... Thank you very much.
????????

I love ya, Cuseregular, but I'll never understand posts like this. If there is ever a time for unbridled enthusiasm it's at the beginning of a football season where we're ranked in the preseason for the first time in 20 years. If you can't enjoy this feeling now, what can you enjoy?

I mean the downside is just a little disappointment; it's not like Syracuse fans haven't had copious amounts of practice in dealing with that over the past two decades.
Ohhh I’m enjoying every minute of this and every (possibly) delusional article or post I read as the end of that post suggests. Loving every minute of it and can’t freaking wait For the season to start, and especially what I’m going to call that Clemson experience or every football dream I’ve had for the past who knows how many years comes true with gameday being here and upset of Clemson (again!).

A sober, thoughtful and spot on post from an experienced fan. That said, my approach will be to continue to drive along blissfully, and tap the brakes if I begin to hear scraping metal.
I’m with you bro, just scraped the metal on the breaks a little bit now let’s go, 12-0! Crazy thing, it IS possible if all the planets align, a few breaks re turnovers, Devito is good as I think he can be, and injuries are minimal.

Last edited:
A bit.
View attachment 168772
What a wonderful problem to have compared to past problems with the program and I am not normally the one to sound the alarm for concern but haven't seen anything to this effect yet. It has been absolutely exhilarating to read see and hear the unbridled optimism and enthusiasm going on in this town and on here. In all my years following the program (which is many back to 1973), I've never seen the optimism and excitement at the level it is right now (NEVER!).

And there is a very good reason for a lot optimism no question for all of the reasons that have been pointed out on here and in the articles on the on the program whether it be an easier schedule, some good returning talent, etc. That said it is going to be very difficult to maintain and meet last year's level of success, have so few injuries, such a good turnover ratio again, etc., and especially so when you lose "program" type players, in this case one on each side of the ball.

It is hard to underestimate the loss of these program changing players in Dungey and slayton not only with their on the field performance but also influences with their leadership off the field as well in the intangibles area. I have no doubt there are more than capable players in place but it is just so hard to not lose a beat when you lose these kinds of kids (which in my mind Babers was expressing concern over in his interview with Rome today).

So I can't help but feel the gif above applies with the need to temper our enthusiasms a bit, at least a little bit, especially since we are not and will no longer sneak up on anyone getting their "A" game performances now. Specifically I'm not sure we get to 2-0 out of the gate even though it is certainly obvious the overall trend of the program is exactly where it needs to be, I'm thinking that we end up with a 8-4, 7-5 type of season which given all the factors in play I'd be ok with and think would be acceptable at this point in the program's resurrection.

Anything more or better would be icing on the cake and would solidify in my mind that not only do we have one of the best coaches in the country, but probably the best. Regardless if I'm right or wrong it's absolutely awesome to be a Syracuse football fan right now.

I am reveling in the fact that I have been able to be prolific lately in sending out every link possible to all the past naysayers in my sphere who said what is happening, and has happened, was not possible. That Babers would leave after last year, etc, so it's been fun anytime there is an article about the teams rankings, program direction or even as a Darkhorse contender for the playoff to send those links off into the ethers of the Internet to whomever didn't think what is happening was even possible.

So It's all good Cuse fans, and even though I think we need to hit the brakes a bit, let me say thank you Dino for our relevance once again, thank you AD Wildhack for your stewardship, and thank you fans for stepping up to the plate and allowing Dino to even make the semi true statement about a sold out (Syracuse University) "Dome" for every game...let's enjoy the hell out of the ride that the next few months will bring! Go Cuse.
TL;DR

I’m booking my room in New Orleans right now.

cfp_400x400_A_2020-300x300.jpg

I don't think Cuseregular's post was meant to be a downer, but more of a neutralizer. I agree with him that the general consensus in and around Cuse Football circles is that we're mowing everyone down on our schedule this year. While he and I both share in the optimism AND the nervousness, I truly hope we win 11+ games. Would be epic.

We're not used to these feelings and certainly haven't experienced the preseason excitement like this in a long, long time. Let's take it one game at a time and savor it.

I don't think Cuseregular's post was meant to be a downer, but more of a neutralizer. I agree with him that the general consensus in and around Cuse Football circles is that we're mowing everyone down on our schedule this year. While he and I both share in the optimism AND the nervousness, I truly hope we win 11+ games. Would be epic.

We're not used to these feelings and certainly haven't experienced the preseason excitement like this in a long, long time. Let's take it one game at a time and savor it.

Pre-season expectations have not existed for so long, I have no benchmark on how we usually meet those expectations. I remember McNabb's Freshman year I wasn't expecting much and that was great. His senior year I was expecting a lot and felt that we underachieved.

What were the expectations for the Donnie Mac undefeated season? My memory is shot.

This year I can talk myself into 10 wins but I am thinking 8 which keeps us on an upward trend.

To meet (or exceed) last year’s success we need to:

1) Stay healthy - we didn’t have any major injuries last year which is pretty miraculous.
2) New guys on the Oline need to step up. Last year, we had one of the best o lines in recent memory. How will the new guys fill those shoes?

Wait, wait, wait, wait. We've been clamoring for a season like last year since 2001. We get it. Now, we have hit the brakes! ! I've waited too long to be even keel and slow down my enthusiasm. It had been building for 17 years. Now that it's been released, no way am I going to pull back the throttle. National Championship or Bust!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom