Time to Realize: B1G wants and needs the EAST and mid-Atlantic | Syracusefan.com

Time to Realize: B1G wants and needs the EAST and mid-Atlantic

arbitragegls

All Conference
As we have posted previously, and actually before Gee's comments about the B1G blocking strategy and desire to build the east and mid-atlantic geographic areas for its conference and BTN, the B1G continues to make inroads.

Source believes that Maryland and Rutgers were not the preferred choices (it was Notre Dame, Boston College, and Syracuse), but certainly did what the B1G wanted to accomplish...move into the ACC territory and do so in a relatively big way..."eyeballs" if nothing else. But has the B1G stopped there...NO.

In the recent hours, the B1G took Johns Hopkins as a LAX associate (just so you know the B1G tried to offer Notre Dame an associative membership but was refuted--that is not going to happen--most likely ever). Johns Hopkins brings three positives to the B1G:
  • Ensures an automatic bid for the LAX tourney--6 teams (something the ACC does not as yet have but is working on very quickly among its present non LAX conference members to do so)
  • Another piece of the ACC middle--the mid-Atlantic
  • One of the most prestigious universities as well as the leading research university for medical research and the $$ attributed to it.
Now comes word that the B1G is signing up with the Pinstripe Bowl (the ACC will also play a roll here). This of course is of interest because this too plays into the B1G strategy of desiring the East-middle atlantic geographic area. As importantly,
  • Pinstripe Bowl places B1G squarely in competition to the ACC in the East
  • The PR announcement is this afternoon with folks from B1G, Fox and Yankees in attendance (notice which conference is missing)
  • Remember that Fox has purchased 49% of Yes network...so it has the Yankees in its coverage which means no doubt the BTN gets on Yes network
  • Rumors--and have been informed correct--B1G will also do other events in Yankee stadium...hmmm, football games anyone
  • B1G is looking into Brooklyn and NYC for bbball also...again confirmed.
If you recall my previous post on the JHU conundrum, I believe that Gee's words as revolting as they were concerning Catholics etc, had truth relative to B1G strategy...which is simply to find a new geographic location to make up for the decline of the Rust Belt. The battle for the East and mid-atlantic is not over...it is continuing. Would this have happened in this time frame if Notre Dame and the ACC had not gotten together? I believe not this time frame but at least we know now for sure what is on the plate for the B1G. The wolf is unclothed.
There are good things coming from the ACC--so no despair here (more soon)...but, but we have been warned and being proactive is the only course to follow.
What do you think should be the ACC reaction...discuss and have fun.
It's Good To Be 'Cuse!!!!!

Again, I don't think it matters if the ACC has an auto-bid. Hell, I remember 4 years ago when the BE was putting together a lacrosse conference, many wanted to remain independent. They thought that SU would be hampered in getting a non-auto bid based on a weakened SOS from the new BE games. The ACC is not the BE in lacrosse. It IS better. The auto is not as important to the ACC as it is for the B1G.

Again, I don't think it matters if the ACC has an auto-bid. Hell, I remember 4 years ago when the BE was putting together a lacrosse conference, many wanted to remain independent. They thought that SU would be hampered in getting a non-auto bid based on a weakened SOS from the new BE games. The ACC is not the BE in lacrosse. It IS better. The auto is not as important to the ACC as it is for the B1G.

Agree with you completely...my post is not about LAX...it is about B1G strategy and fact it is meaningful to the ACC success.

Agree with you completely...my post is not about LAX...it is about B1G strategy and fact it is meaningful to the ACC success.

I was replying to this portion of your post:
(something the ACC does not as yet have but is working on very quickly among its present non LAX conference members to do so)

JHU also has an exclusive deal with ESPNU. Obviously not a needle mover but it gets Big10 programs on national TV. So it's another positive for them.

The Big 10 added Johns Hopkins?!?

Conference expansion is getting less interesting by the second.

Will they go after RPI next for the D1 Hockey?

There are probably so many people in B1G land finding what's left of their egos completely crushed by the league having a partial member. That alone makes the JHU addition worth it.

Is the Boneyard predicting an announcement fom Warde Manuel that UCONN is going to sponsor men's lacrosse yet? I can see them pouncing on this news as more evidence that the B1G will eventually see that UCONN is a necessary ingredient if they hope to conquer the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region.

This is why i believe that Uconn will eventually land in the B10. They need teams to complete their eastern division. Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers, Ohio State (I'll count it as East) Uconn, and one or two more is inevitable in my opinion. And if this is what they are going for, Syracuse would help tie things together geographically. Not that I would want this to happen. I like the ACC fit much better.

In any case, realignment has really made these conferences ridiculous amalgamations.

Is next? Can't go any worse than the Buttgers experience.

Agree we need to get the tourney in MSG asap.

Arb -- I don't believe I have ever heard or read that the B1G offered Notre Dame a partial membership but were turned down by the Domers. If that is true, good for ND. That must have realy been a blow to certain midwestern egos.

ive pounded the hell out of this drum...rutgers, as stupid and idiotic and hilarious and foolish as they are...shouldve been added by the ACC to get to 15 right away.

its all about land and eyeballs now.

delany isnt even using a trojan horse, hes setting up shop.

khruschev returns.....

Oh Lord

ive pounded the hell out of this drum...rutgers, as stupid and idiotic and hilarious and foolish as they are...shouldve been added by the ACC to get to 15 right away.

khruschev returns.....

Oh Lord

Agree 100%. The Rutgers addition would have basically locked up the East Coast, sans the DC area (although Virginia's reach may make this point moot).

The B1G's expansion into the East has been silenced since the ACC GOR and what people are starting to realize is how Delany realizes the B1G footprint for population is slowly starting to erode and he has to expand his conference to try and getter better markets under his control. While NJ and MD aren't fast growing states they aren't OH, MI, IL, or PA which are losing population each census and as a result the B1G knows it can't touch the SEC so they are going after the ACC.

However, the ACC isn't being lead by the small Catholics schools who are more interested in the status quo a ala the Big East they have been proactive to try and flush the B1G advancement into their turf. Make no mistake while the SEC may not be friendly with the ACC they respect the ACC more than the B1G and this war is only starting. I started beating the drum yesterday STOP playing B1G schools if possible because their end game is to get Virginia, North Carolina under its umbrella because the states with the largest total population gains are Texas, California, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Arizona, Virginia, Washington, Colorado.
Census_Domestic_Departures_States.PNG

While our state of NY is number one look at the fact three of the B1G's biggest states on this list, and PA is 12th, and NJ a future B1G state is third. The B1G is trying to get more TV sets so they can print more money than God, and the conference in their was the ACC. By trying to destroy the ACC the B1G was looking at more television sets BTN, expands their footprint into one that is right on the SEC's doorstep and gives their access to better athletes, and into the growing population of America, The ACC would be smart to get an alliance with the SEC similar to that of the Pac-12-B1G alliance. While the SEC may scoff it would be better for both conferences in the long term. I bet the B1G would be interested in UConn if a viable 16th school was available, and with the SEC network deal and the fact all schools gave the SEC network their 3rd tier rights for a long time Missouri isn't going to go to the B1G and UConn has no viable partner to get into the B1G.
The real war isn't between FOX and ESPN its between the B1G and SEC. So while I used to hate the SEC with a passion I still don't care for them, but despise the B1G a lot more.
B1G-FOX
Pac-12-FOX/ESPN
SEC-CBS/ESPN
ACC-ESPN
Big XII FOX/ESPN

The B1G's expansion into the East has been silenced since the ACC GOR and what people are starting to realize is how Delany realizes the B1G footprint for population is slowly starting to erode and he has to expand his conference to try and getter better markets under his control. While NJ and MD aren't fast growing states they aren't OH, MI, IL, or PA which are losing population each census and as a result the B1G knows it can't touch the SEC so they are going after the ACC.

However, the ACC isn't being lead by the small Catholics schools who are more interested in the status quo a ala the Big East they have been proactive to try and flush the B1G advancement into their turf. Make no mistake while the SEC may not be friendly with the ACC they respect the ACC more than the B1G and this war is only starting. I started beating the drum yesterday STOP playing B1G schools if possible because their end game is to get Virginia, North Carolina under its umbrella because the states with the largest total population gains are Texas, California, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Arizona, Virginia, Washington, Colorado.
Census_Domestic_Departures_States.PNG

While our state of NY is number one look at the fact three of the B1G's biggest states on this list, and PA is 12th, and NJ a future B1G state is third. The B1G is trying to get more TV sets so they can print more than God, and the conference in their was is the ACC. Destroying the ACC by the B1G gives them more television sets, expands their footprint into one that is right on the SEC's doorstep and gives their access to better athletes. The ACC would be smart to get an alliance with the SEC similar to that of the Pac-12-B1G alliance. While the SEC may scoff it would be better for both conferences in the long term. I bet the B1G would be interested in UConn if a viable 16th school was available, and with the SEC network deal and the fact all schools gave the SEC network their 3rd tier rights for a long time Missouri isn't going to go to the B1G and UConn has no viable partner to get into the B1G.
B1G-FOX
Pac-12-FOX/ESPN
SEC-CBS/ESPN
ACC-ESPN
Big XII FOX/ESPN

UCONN's viable partner would have been Syracuse. That would have given the B10 the contiguous states of Ohio, Pennsylvania, NY, Connecticut, NJ, and Maryland.

UCONN's viable partner would have been Syracuse. That would have given the B10 the contiguous states of Ohio, Pennsylvania, NY, Connecticut, NJ, and Maryland.
Syracuse is a private school and fits the ACC demographics a LOT better than the B1G and I have NO interest in joining the B1G and thankfully because of the GOR we won't entertain the thought. Unless SU wants to become a public SUNY flagship the thought of joining the B1G doesn't really appeal me at all.

Also...don't forget...B1G continues its expansion in the Heartland as the Oklahoma to B1G announcement should occur any day now!!

Meanwhile...on the West/Left Coast...the Pac12 is sitting back watching the carnage on the East/Right Coast...

...The SEC...they don't care as much as long as the keep winning football NCs...

...The Big 12 is just hoping the B1G keeps their eyes on the East Coast and doesn't look South and West!!

This is why I've been saying we need MSG every year instead of alternating. Simply need to keep the B10 out.

Syracuse is a private school and fits the ACC demographics a LOT better than the B1G and I have NO interest in joining the B1G and thankfully because of the GOR we won't entertain the thought. Unless SU wants to become a public SUNY flagship the thought of joining the B1G doesn't really appeal me at all.

Well, if the B1G can't get Syracuse there is always Buffalo!

Or maybe I should say The State University of New York at Buffalo (aka tSUNY@Buffalo)

Agreed. As I said in an earlier post in this thread, I like SU in the ACC much more than in B10.

khruschev returns.....

Oh Lord

If/when the ACC locks up MSG for the conference hoops tournament, they'll have both of their feet well planted.

Delany should use the JHU connect to setup football games at nearby Pimlico. See if he can get Marlo off all those good corners.

Why wouldn't the Pinstripe announce both conference participants at the same time? Seems strange...and clearly indicative of the evil intentions of the B1G to want "ownership" of eastern territory. Seems the ACC would be more attractive to the Yankees. The chances of OSU, Michigan, or PSU playing in the Pinstripe are slim. Mostly they will get the Michigan State, Purdue level teams. It would be great for the ACC to be able to schedule some football games in Yankee Stadium (far more NYC media coverage than Meadowlands) but remember that the Yankees won't allow the field to be used until after conclusion of baseball season meaning November (as they have to protect against possibility of post-season games). The ACC should lock up MSG for the ACCT and keep the B1G out. Though I think the B1G would have the same problem with its fanbase who will not want their tourney moved from Chicago/Indy to NYC on a regular basis. Playing he ACCT in MSG would be effective in switching NY metro area fans from BE to the ACC brand...the star power will be far more attractive.

acc had no reason to add john Hopkins in lacrosse as they will be gewtting an autobid in a few years as there are a couple teams looking to start sponsoring lacrosse in the acc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom