Time Traveller in 2003 | Syracusefan.com

Time Traveller in 2003

CuseCPT

All Conference
Imagine in 2003, after SU winning the title, you encountered a time traveler from the November 2022 and they told you the following about what the future held for Syracuse hoops. Which fact would you have been most shocked by?

1 - The Dome would have a new roof
2 - It would no longer be called the Carrier Dome
3 - JB would still be coaching in 2022
4 - Syracuse would be in the ACC
5 - Syracuse would not win a regular season conference title after 2011-2012
6 - Syracuse would not win a conference tournament after 2006
7 - Colgate would have a 2-game winning streak over us in the Dome

I think I'd have been bemused by 1-3, intrigued by 4, and depressed by 6, but absolutely shocked by 5 and 7.

Imagine in 2003, after SU winning the title, you encountered a time traveler from the November 2022 and they told you the following about what the future held for Syracuse hoops. Which fact would you have been most shocked by?

I think I'd have been bemused by 1-3, intrigued by 4, and depressed by 6, but absolutely shocked by 5 and 7.

1 - 4 would be fine with and almost expected to some extent.
5 - 6 would be worrisome, but not catastrophic.

7 is my answer. Because one time is a fluke. Two times is not. If I did not know anything else but that, I'd assume things went sideways.

Prolly 3 and 7.
Although, 7 could be fluky, unless you included the scores.

If I encountered a time traveler, the state of Syracuse athletics would be pretty far down the list of conversation topics.

A good CEO of a company leaves the company in better position than when they left. I like what Duke did with K, but its not easy and who knows how it works out, same as Nova. Look at FSU football, GTown BBall, Nebraska football, Indiana basketball. Not sure what the right window was to step down and hope the rock solid succession plan works. Maybe JB can stay on as CEO emeritus or as a mentor to Hop, or whoever. Age is just a number but like how boards have age limits place to protect shareholders. Good news is bar is set much lower than it was 10 years ago:) My vote would be Hop who can recruit, is part of the SU family and has HC experience. If not Hop, would go outside and get the most proven coach we can.

Last edited:
I guess I don't get #2 as a shocker. If Carrier was still employing people locally as they were then sure. But now, along with all kinds of contractual buyouts a common thing these days even by 02 ( while the perpetuity thing being unique) it's not a shocker. Plus it's not like there wasn't goodwill time wise in terms of preserving the name even by 2002.

bttfgif.gif

If I encountered a time traveler, the state of Syracuse athletics would be pretty far down the list of conversation topics.

<looks around slowly>

Would it though?

I mean, we are a bunch of adults on a message board posting incessantly about things like the 2-3 zone... just saying, it could be part of the convo and not be **that** weird.

I would have thought #7 would only be possible if #3 was not the case.

Everything else would either be expected or pretty believable.
Yeah, if I find out 3 is true, literally nothing else is surprising.

’He‘s how old yet still expects he can connect with teenaged basketball players?’

For me it would be #8. We won’t all have flying cars!

Yeah, if I find out 3 is true, literally nothing else is surprising.

’He‘s how old yet still expects he can connect with teenaged basketball players?’
Oh I actually meant the opposite. I’d only believe we lost to Colgate twice in a row if I thought we had a different coach (and the program had collapsed). I’d have never thought that could happen under JB, regardless of his age.

<looks around slowly>

Would it though?

I mean, we are a bunch of adults on a message board posting incessantly about things like the 2-3 zone... just saying, it could be part of the convo and not be **that** weird.
The time traveler would need a lot of evidence and time to convince me they were from the future. After that, It would be awhile before I moved on from the physics and logistics of time travel. The state of humanity and the earth would be my next focus. Then, of course, it would be if The Cure ever actually released that 14th album Robert Smith has been promising us for ten years.

Edit: I forgot it was 2003 me. I would have asked about Morrissey and Johnny Marr reuniting.

Last edited:
The time traveler would need a lot of evidence and time to convince me they were from the future. After that, It would be awhile before I moved on from the physics and logistics of time travel. The state of humanity and the earth would be my next focus. Then, of course, it would be if The Cure ever actually released that 14th album Robert Smith has been promising us for ten years.

Edit: I forgot it was 2003 me. I would have asked about Morrissey and Johnny Marr reuniting.

2003 me would have asked who the presidents had been since GWB. On my life, if he said Obama, Trump, Biden, I would have probably just told him to f off like Doc Brown when Marty told him Reagan, the actor, was president.

PLEASE GOD DONT TURN THIS THREAD POLITICAL. THIS CAN BE SUCH A FUN THREAD. I JUST MEAN THAT OBAMA TO TRUMP WOULD HAVE ME DOUBTING THIS DUDE FROM THE FUTURE.

I would have also asked what the best rom coms post-2003 are, how The Sopranos ends and if there are finally hover boards.

Also, if he told me Dr Dre performed with Eminem and Snoop and 50 at the 2022 Super Bowl, I would have lost it.

Colgate twice, that would've been pretty surprising. But even with a classic Boeheim on the bench I wouldn't have thought it out of the realm of possibility that Colgate could upset SU. I remember a Burgan team that played pretty badly and only beat Colgate by about five. And Hakim's senior year SU sleepwalked through 35 minutes of a Colgate game and Colgate's guards got hot and made it interesting until late in the second half.

No conference tournament titles since 2006, that's the depressing one. Regular-season dominance is great, but that's been rare for SU over the years. Even our mediocre (read: 23-7 type teams) seasons have often featured exciting league tournament runs. 16 years without that, going out with a whimper against anonymous ACC teams in ACC cities on Tuesday afternoons, that just sucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom