Timeouts | Syracusefan.com

Timeouts

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
As I’ve already mentioned many times I missed the second half. We finished the game with 1 timeout left, but when we scored with :07 left we still had 3.

How did that happen? In a game with so much happening the last few minutes very surprised we didn’t burn any timeouts. Was it just because we didn’t get any completions in bounds and there were flags? Seems so weird.

As I’ve already mentioned many times I missed the second half. We finished the game with 1 timeout left, but when we scored with :07 left we still had 3.

How did that happen? In a game with so much happening the last few minutes very surprised we didn’t burn any timeouts. Was it just because we didn’t get any completions in bounds and there were flags? Seems so weird.
We had three TOs available down the stretch with about 45 seconds left. They decide to attack with the pass rather than run, which I agree with because Purdue had pretty well stopped our run game. The way those plays turned out. either incompletions or out of bounds or penalty negated any reasons to call a TO in my opinion.

Our final drive consisted of incompletions and penalties so there really wasn't a need to take a time out. I got nervous on Purdue's drive before that because the disloyal idiot that I am assumed they were gonna score a td and i wanted enough time to drive down the field... but it all worked out.

I have no idea why but we took a TO before our extra point (actually right as the ball was snapped and Szmyt knocked it through). That one made no sense.

We then took our second TO before the very last play after Purdue lined up to adjust our defense. That one actually made sense.

I have no idea why but we took a TO before our extra point (actually right as the ball was snapped and Szmyt knocked it through). That one made no sense.

We then took our second TO before the very last play after Purdue lined up to adjust our defense. That one actually made sense.
I thought that was a delay of game penalty before the extra point kick.

Putting a great win behind us, does not using time outs on that last drive eliminate the use of the middle of the field? I would think that is one of the benefits of having them - that you can go into a 1 minute drill not having to only look to work the sideline. Coaches?

Yep… were we trying to ice our own kicker

That was earlier after the pick 6.

That one was hilarious (although a bit concerning that no one was ready). We had like 4 guys out there.

But I was so glad we didn't call TO. An extra point from 5 yards back is still just a 25 FG straight on. So many coaches would panic at that.

One T/O was used to set up the CUSE D before Purdue's last play...likely to be
a 10 tard pass completion followed by several laterals...
CUSE ended up defending the play , after the 1st lateral, very well.

Dino said in his presser that he didn’t want to give the Purdue D time to reset, which makes sense.

Then he weirdly mentioned something about people think they know about timeouts but there’s a reason. Which kind of sounded like he was trying to atone for last years time out miscues

The way this game and year has been so far it doesn’t seem like there’s anything to complain about. Dino outcoached Brohm by a mile

Dino said in his presser that he didn’t want to give the Purdue D time to reset, which makes sense.

Then he weirdly mentioned something about people think they know about timeouts but there’s a reason. Which kind of sounded like he was trying to atone for last years time out miscues

The way this game and year has been so far it doesn’t seem like there’s anything to complain about. Dino outcoached Brohm by a mile

Agreed. Not getting the criticism.

They had 50 seconds, 3 timeouts, and 50 yards to go. Every coach with the ball would sign up for that to win the game.

Agreed. Not getting the criticism.

They had 50 seconds, 3 timeouts, and 50 yards to go. Every coach with the ball would sign up for that to win the game.
Every TO he would've call while Purdue was driving would have added 30 seconds to how much time was left to score.

If he was saving them for some other purpose, so be it.

Every TO he would've call while Purdue was driving would have added 30 seconds to how much time was left to score.

If he was saving them for some other purpose, so be it.
Also potentially giving Purdue more time to score and basically conceding that we couldn’t stop them.

Putting a great win behind us, does not using time outs on that last drive eliminate the use of the middle of the field? I would think that is one of the benefits of having them - that you can go into a 1 minute drill not having to only look to work the sideline. Coaches?

Good observation. At the game, you have to realize that Shrader missed most of those passes on the final drive. It was either incomplete or penalty against Purdue. It was utterly bizarre how the final minute was playing out.

We had 3 timeouts, kept missing passes on the outside, when we could have thrown it over the middle 2 or 3 times to move the chains. Didn't understand those calls, and a few others, but somehow we got it done!

Also potentially giving Purdue more time to score and basically conceding that we couldn’t stop them.
Yes and no.

More time to score, yes, although they didn't come close to running out of time.

And it's coaching malpractice, if you don't prepare for them scoring.

Yes and no.

More time to score, yes, although they didn't come close to running out of time.

And we had our time outs to use if we needed them in our drive or if they tried to burn the clock.

Not sure what point you are making with the malpractice statement. We were prepared for them scoring.

Yes and no.

We gave it back to them with 7 seconds left. It was almost a perfect scenario. Did you want Purdue to have 1 1/2 minutes instead?

I thought Dino made some bad time management decisions in the past but this year so far has been good and seems like a weird thing to complain about after a win

We gave it back to them with 7 seconds left. It was almost a perfect scenario. Did you want Purdue to have 1 1/2 minutes instead?

I thought Dino made some bad time management decisions in the past but this year so far has been good and seems like a weird thing to complain about after a win
Dino's pretty awesome if he planned for Purdue to commit a penalty on every play for the last 51 seconds.

And who's complaining? Not me. Just pointing out that his time management wasn't perfect, in my opinion.

And we had our time outs to use if we needed them in our drive or if they tried to burn the clock.

Not sure what point you are making with the malpractice statement. We were prepared for them scoring.
I was responding to a statement that implied you shouldn't call a timeout because that would be conceding Perdue a touchdown.

Look it worked out thankfully but Dinos still In total denial about how bad he is with clock management. Look at SUs 2nd to last possession, just terrible.

On the last play why wasn’t purdue in a prevent like d? I hate prevent d a lot when there’s more time and teams allow a million catches underneath to get down field but in this case we had like 2 plays left and were pretty far out. No harm in keeping like 2 safeties on the 10 yard line.

on the last play why wasn’t purdue in a prevent like d? I have prevent d a lot when there’s more time and teams allow a million catches underneath to get down field but in this case we had like 2 plays left and pretty far out? No harm in keeping like 2 safeties on the 10 yard line.

Purdue did just about everything you shouldn't do in that 4th quarter. A ton of bad decisions and confusing calls

Look it worked out thankfully but Dinos still In total denial about how bad he is with clock management. Look at SUs 2nd to last possession, just terrible.

I was told here by numerous people that Beck was going to be responsible for time management and it was his forte. I thought Dino was just the CEO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom