Tips, Tricks and FAQs | Syracusefan.com

Tips, Tricks and FAQs

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
Tips, Tricks and FAQs

Conversations, the New PM

The conversation feature on this site has a few enhancements over the Scout PM. Like the Scout PM system, you can click on a person’s handle and select to begin a conversation. You can also start a conversation by clicking on your inbox, located in the dark bar upper right hand of the page.

One new feature is that a conversation can be initiated between two people as before, but a conversation can also be initiated between many posters at once just by typing their handle in the “Participants” box separated by a comma. From that initial list, the conversation can even be expanded to others at any time in the conversation by Clicking on “Invite More” below the “Conversation Participants” box to the right of the conversation text area. You can control this feature when you initiate a conversation by clicking the “Allow anyone in the conversation to invite others” box below the conversation text box. As the conversation initiator, you can also lock the conversation.

You are alerted that you have a new conversation or that a conversation you are already in has been updated via a little red flag just over your inbox. The flag is cleared when you open the conversation to read it.

Note that you can choose to receive an e-mail when a new conversation to you is begun or an ongoing conversation you are in has an update. Find this check box in you Profile area under “Contact Details”.

Alerts

The site has an alert system that is controlled via the “Alert Preferences” in your profile area. (Access your profile choices by clicking on your handle in the black bar at the top right of the page, just above the search box). An alert is indicated by a red flag just above the “Alerts” in the black bar at the top right of the page.

Search Feature

This site has a robust search feature. It is accessed via the search box at the upper right of the page just above your own I.D.

When you click on the search box you are presented with some options and even a selection for advanced search options. The advanced search options allows you to fine tune the search domain.

Editing Your Profile/Signatures/Avatars

In the upper right hand corner of the screen you will see your handle. There is also an arrow indicating a pull down menu. Click on the arrow and a variety of options will present themselves. They are:
* Your Profile Page
* Personal Details..... * Your News Feed
* Contact Details...... * Your Alerts
* Preferences... * Watched Threads
* Alert Preferences.... * Likes You've Received
* Privacy........ * Your Content
* Signature..... * People You Follow

* Show online status
* Log Out

Some of these are self-explanatory, feel free to check them out and update, if desired. Please be aware that some signature graphics may become HUGE and you may need to find alternate images.

Some options that may not be familiar to you:

Alert Preferences and Your Alerts – When you click on Alert Preferences, you are given a list of options. You can “watch” a thread and ask to be notified when someone posts in that thread or posts an image in a watched thread. You can also asked to be notified when someone quotes one of your posts or “likes” one of your posts. When one of those four things happen, you will see a red flag by Alerts at the top right of the page or you can check Your Alerts.

Watched Threads – As you read a thread you will notice an option at the top right that says, surprisingly enough, Watch Thread (duh). After you’ve clicked on that, you will be notified in the Alerts (red flag that will show at the top right of your screen) that someone has posted in that thread.

People You Follow – If you click on another poster’s handle, you will see the option to Follow. Then you will be notified when that person posts. You can also follow posters in the People You Follow option by typing their name into the dialog box.

Bees, maybe you can help...when trying to post a new thread, it seems I can't do it. I get a message about a poll topic, etc...but again, there isn't a way to post my thread. What am I doing wrong? thanks

Bees, maybe you can help...when trying to post a new thread, it seems I can't do it. I get a message about a poll topic, etc...but again, there isn't a way to post my thread. What am I doing wrong? thanks

Click the icon in your browser that says compatibility.

Sent from my DROIDX

I have disabled Firefox Adblock for Syracusefan.com, but I keep getting the "Our system has detected ..." pop-up. Sometimes it freezes on the screen and there's no way to "X out." Any ideas?

I have disabled Firefox Adblock for Syracusefan.com, but I keep getting the "Our system has detected ..." pop-up. Sometimes it freezes on the screen and there's no way to "X out." Any ideas?

I think I fixed this. Are you still getting the pop up?

I think I fixed this. Are you still getting the pop up?

The pop up is gone, thanks, but the ads appear only sporadically. Right now there's only one at the bottom of the page. :noidea:

for some reason I cant see any of 4everorange's posts on the humor board. Any idea why?

for some reason I cant see any of 4everorange's posts on the humor board. Any idea why?
Hmmm, I can't either. But I am behind a firewall right now. I will check when I get home.

I was able to see them all once I got out from behind work's firewall.

I'm unable to post pictures - I've tried copying and pasting - that doesn't work. I'm on safari and use a macbook air if that helps. I'd also like to change my avatar pic but can't figure it out. Thanks in advance for help. (I'm certain it's something very simple, forgive me)

I'm unable to post pictures - I've tried copying and pasting - that doesn't work. I'm on safari and use a macbook air if that helps. I'd also like to change my avatar pic but can't figure it out. Thanks in advance for help. (I'm certain it's something very simple, forgive me)
Not sure why you can't post pics. Let's see if anyone else can help - I don't use Safari or a Mac, so not sure if that's the problem.

To change your avatar, go to your profile page (upper left - mouse over your name and click on 'Your Profile Page'. Once there, click on your avatar and a popup window should appear with a button to upload a new avatar. To use, it has to be resident on your computer. But just for the upload - not forever.

Not sure why you can't post pics. Let's see if anyone else can help - I don't use Safari or a Mac, so not sure if that's the problem.

To change your avatar, go to your profile page (upper left - mouse over your name and click on 'Your Profile Page'. Once there, click on your avatar and a popup window should appear with a button to upload a new avatar. To use, it has to be resident on your computer. But just for the upload - not forever.
Thanks - so I need to save it onto my photos or something? Can't just cut and paste?

Have you made the file you wish to upload resident on your computer? If so, click in the "new post" window of the thread you wish to upload a file onto, then click on "Upload a File" and scroll to where you've saved that file. You should be able to get it going from there.

Thanks - so I need to save it onto my photos or something? Can't just cut and paste?

No, copy/cut and paste doesn't do it. And save the file to your desktop, that's the easiest. The file needs to have an IP address somewhere on the internet (which is your computer's) for the feature to work. The site needs to know where the file is coming from so it can upload it via the TCP/IP protocol (IIRC).

I think Cowtown is talking about the avatar only. I can copy and paste pics into a post. That doesn't work with an avatar.

I think Cowtown is talking about the avatar only. I can copy and paste pics into a post. That doesn't work with an avatar.
that's so odd. it doesn't work for me. I even tried plugging in a mouse to right click - still doesn't work

I can post pictures from my iPad no problem.

Go to the picture you want. Put your finger on it and hold for a few seconds. When prompted, take the save image option.

Then go into your post, click on that rectangle next to the emoticon to add an image and when the prompt for the image URL comes up, linger in it until the Paste option pops up. Take that option and press Enter.

That should do it.

I can post pictures from my iPad no problem.

Go to the picture you want. Put your finger on it and hold for a few seconds. When prompted, take the save image option.

Then go into your post, click on that rectangle next to the emoticon to add an image and when the prompt for the image URL comes up, linger in it until the Paste option pops up. Take that option and press Enter.

That should do it.
Thank you! I'll try it. Much appreciated

Tips, Tricks and FAQs

Conversations, the New PM

The conversation feature on this site has a few enhancements over the Scout PM. Like the Scout PM system, you can click on a person’s handle and select to begin a conversation. You can also start a conversation by clicking on your inbox, located in the dark bar upper right hand of the page.

One new feature is that a conversation can be initiated between two people as before, but a conversation can also be initiated between many posters at once just by typing their handle in the “Participants” box separated by a comma. From that initial list, the conversation can even be expanded to others at any time in the conversation by Clicking on “Invite More” below the “Conversation Participants” box to the right of the conversation text area. You can control this feature when you initiate a conversation by clicking the “Allow anyone in the conversation to invite others” box below the conversation text box. As the conversation initiator, you can also lock the conversation.

You are alerted that you have a new conversation or that a conversation you are already in has been updated via a little red flag just over your inbox. The flag is cleared when you open the conversation to read it.

Note that you can choose to receive an e-mail when a new conversation to you is begun or an ongoing conversation you are in has an update. Find this check box in you Profile area under “Contact Details”.

Alerts

The site has an alert system that is controlled via the “Alert Preferences” in your profile area. (Access your profile choices by clicking on your handle in the black bar at the top right of the page, just above the search box). An alert is indicated by a red flag just above the “Alerts” in the black bar at the top right of the page.

Search Feature

This site has a robust search feature. It is accessed via the search box at the upper right of the page just above your own I.D.

When you click on the search box you are presented with some options and even a selection for advanced search options. The advanced search options allows you to fine tune the search domain.

Editing Your Profile/Signatures/Avatars

In the upper right hand corner of the screen you will see your handle. There is also an arrow indicating a pull down menu. Click on the arrow and a variety of options will present themselves. They are:
* Your Profile Page
* Personal Details... * Your News Feed
* Contact Details... * Your Alerts
* Preferences... * Watched Threads
* Alert Preferences... * Likes You've Received
* Privacy..... * Your Content
* Signature... * People You Follow

* Show online status
* Log Out

Some of these are self-explanatory, feel free to check them out and update, if desired. Please be aware that some signature graphics may become HUGE and you may need to find alternate images.

Some options that may not be familiar to you:

Alert Preferences and Your Alerts – When you click on Alert Preferences, you are given a list of options. You can “watch” a thread and ask to be notified when someone posts in that thread or posts an image in a watched thread. You can also asked to be notified when someone quotes one of your posts or “likes” one of your posts. When one of those four things happen, you will see a red flag by Alerts at the top right of the page or you can check Your Alerts.

Watched Threads – As you read a thread you will notice an option at the top right that says, surprisingly enough, Watch Thread (duh). After you’ve clicked on that, you will be notified in the Alerts (red flag that will show at the top right of your screen) that someone has posted in that thread.

People You Follow – If you click on another poster’s handle, you will see the option to Follow. Then you will be notified when that person posts. You can also follow posters in the People You Follow option by typing their name into the dialog box.
I am a fairly new poster but have been reading the threads for a long time. I tried to post a new topic in the basketball section yesterday and noticed it had a blue Moderator button and then the post disappeared. Did I do something wrong? And what is the proper procedure?

Until new posters reach a certain number of posts (10, I believe), posts need moderator approval. Not sure what happened to your thread.

Until new posters reach a certain number of posts (10, I believe), posts need moderator approval. Not sure what happened to your thread.

Bees, I am using Windows 10. I am getting this message just above Reply to Thread:
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Also the red Alerts Flag doesn't disappear like it used to after scrolling over it I have to click on it?

Suggestions - Thanks. BillSU - I used to be able to scroll over a thread topic and see part of the post as well, (see below), but do not have this capability in the last week?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just started using Chrome on a new Windows 10 PC. When I mouse over a thread title, I don't get a preview of the post like I do on other PCs. Do you know if there's a setting for that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom