To improve our program | Syracusefan.com

To improve our program

GooseMutt

All Conference
And you could make a change, what would it be?

I would love to bring in an elite coach to develop our big men and weaponize them offensively. In recent years it seems our centers take up space but are not legitimate threats. We’ve got to become more offensively diverse. ( Hi Rakeem. Miss you!)

Our program’s in pretty great condition, we’re currently whining about current situations in a recruiting class two years from now. I wonder if this is what it feels like to be PSU or Michigan in football?

maybe add one better recruiter on the bench? But eh

Only thing I’d change is a greater focus on recruiting Philly/Baltimore.

I would love to bring in an elite coach to develop our big men and weaponize them offensively. In recent years it seems our centers take up space but are not legitimate threats. We’ve got to become more offensively diverse. ( Hi Rakeem. Miss you!)
Get a new head coach.. Oh sorry, wrong board.

I'm not seeing how we're in a "great position."
We're not ranked. We just lost our prime recruit. We have a coach who we all believe will retire within a handful of years, and we have no clear succession plan.

We have a bunch of recruits that we like, but somehow we still need to rationalize their ranking and self-inflate them, because "they haven't been seen enough" or somesuch, while ignoring that the other kids ahead of them might be facing similar circumstances. I'm not saying our kids aren't better than their numbers, or won't be, but at some point if you accept that your #3-ranked recruit really is #3, you kinda have to accept that the #47 really is #47, especially when the past handful of years has been a pretty truthful translation of recruiting to conference performance.

Yeah, i'd like a qualified, proven, experienced big man coach. That's been on my list for a long, long time. Even as people (Rony?) were throwing acclaim at Bernie Fine. But, who is that guy? And is it really about a 'name' guy? How many other top programs have a 'name' guy at that position? It's about two things: trust—having a recruit believe he will develop under that position coach; and then some sort of assessment of the actual development itself, which is even more difficult to deal with.

Plus, there's the matter of the position of Center itself being transformed. The appeal of the traditional post game is fading a bit. Pre-2020 draft, there were articles written about how Golden State should absolutely not draft Wiseman, because post centers just weren't making championship impact anymore. I wonder how or if that philosophy will trickle down to college, or if inside power can still be a decider in the NCAA. Either way, that's an aspect we need to consider. "Center" is a broader category now, and even 7-footers want to launch threes. So, what kind of big man coach is the right kind of big man coach?

To improve our program... We need JB to be an even better salesman/ambassador/PR guru. Somehow. Designing, developing, and managing those opportunities should be a priority for the Athletic Department. We need better PR. We need better 'Design and Flair.' But, substance-wise, we need our alums to be better and more impactful in the NBA, and that starts with getting better recruits in the first place—it's a cycle. So, basically, it's scientifically impossible.
:)

Have ESPN give Boeheim the free recruiting time Calipari gets during NBA draft coverage.
Gotta have the players in the draft to talk about. Plus, i wonder how proactive Calipari is toward trying to be included in the broadcast. I have a feeling JB might not be 'as' aggressive.

For those complaining about not having "a succession plan" for when JB retires. 1st the last "plan" fell through, what makes you think that the next will be better if its more than 1 season away. 2nd, how many other programs have such a plan in place? With all the head coaches 65 and older, do any really have a succession plan? What's Duke's? UNC's?

For those complaining about not having "a succession plan" for when JB retires. 1st the last "plan" fell through, what makes you think that the next will be better if its more than 1 season away. 2nd, how many other programs have such a plan in place? With all the head coaches 65 and older, do any really have a succession plan? What's Duke's? UNC's?
I wonder if Bobby Hurley is Duke's succession plan, My guess is Unc just hires the best name out there when Roy retires.

Physically move the university to more fertile recruiting grounds so that we don't suck forevermore.

Edit: Never mind, this isn't the football board. ;):)

• Figure out JB's timeline for retirement

• Continue to build the foundation of "program guys" -- which the last two classes have really done well, after we we had depth compromised for several years due to sanctions.

• Recruit a point guard, solidifying the most important position on the floor [in college basketball] -- Kadary could be that guy, maybe it is someone in the class of 2021 [Copeland, the kid from Baltimore, etc.]

Is that a possibility?

Yes absolutely. Melo is one of the first people to be a part of “Team Jordan” and has a lifetime contract (from what I’m told) and usually there is an ambassador of the alumni that got the process started. Charles Woodson was big reason Michigan is a Jordan school and he was original guy like Melo. This is an ongoing avenue they are exploring

A new head coach sooner rather than later, not because JAB is not a good coach, but because everyone from recruits to competitors is thinking of him as a lame duck. The program needs a new coach or problems from this lame duck status will intensify. I know this is unfair, and I being of the same age get why he wants to keep going, but I feel the program needs new blood for its longer term future, Caveat being getting the right replacement.

Yes absolutely. Melo is one of the first people to be a part of “Team Jordan” and has a lifetime contract (from what I’m told) and usually there is an ambassador of the alumni that got the process started. Charles Woodson was big reason Michigan is a Jordan school and he was original guy like Melo. This is an ongoing avenue they are exploring
That’d be sick!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom