To press or not to press | Syracusefan.com

To press or not to press

mark79

All Conference
That is the question…. With our depth, experience and multiple available seven footers defending the rim, I think we should use it every game to see what it can do. Given it was a small team in Pace, but it was very disruptive. What do y’all think?

That is the question…. With our depth, experience and multiple available seven footers defending the rim, I think we should use it every game to see what it can do. Given it was a small team in Pace, but it was very disruptive. What do y’all think?
If Symir and Woody are in the game yes, but if either one of them are not on the court I sure hope not, don’t have the speed or athleticism for it to be successful.

We aren't a very quick team and are basically playing with 3 guards and 3 forwards. Pressing tends to get a team in foul trouble. Not sure we have a lot of depth and not sure this makes a lot of sense for this team.

I did like the trapping we did in the corners...

We pressed Pace on 4 possessions and caused 3 turnovers, a pretty great return against a team playing 5 guards (or at least 5 guys with guard skills).

Torrence looked deadly in the press, and it's nice to know we have it when we need it. But the press you saw can't be used regularly, we'd have to figure out a different strategy if we wanted to press every game.

Our press works well for what it is, a change of pace blitz that is going to cause a few quick turnovers against an unsuspecting opponent. Its not meant to be a sustainable defense. If we ever have to use it like that we are in trouble, because once teams break the initial trap they should get an easy shot every time.

We pressed Pace on 4 possessions and caused 3 turnovers, a pretty great return against a team playing 5 guards (or at least 5 guys with guard skills).

Torrence looked deadly in the press, and it's nice to know we have it when we need it. But the press you saw can't be used regularly, we'd have to figure out a different strategy if we wanted to press every game.

Our press works well for what it is, a change of pace blitz that is going to cause a few quick turnovers against an unsuspecting opponent. Its not meant to be a sustainable defense. If we ever have to use it like that we are in trouble, because once teams break the initial trap they should get an easy shot every time.

This. Even though it was JB experimenting, I like it being dropped in for a few possessions here and there.

Symir, Benny, Jesse, Buddy, Frank might be the best pressing lineup. I didn’t think Frank would be a forward, but I think there’s a chance he could have 09-10 rick jackson versatility in limited spots. Seems like a candidate to guard the inbounds with the opportunity to immediately trap.

I think with Cole Benny Joe and Torrence with either Frank or Jesse back-
we can press without giving up (many) layups. I'd use it to get the dome rockin' or for comebacks.
We'll see tonight...maybe.

Wonder how Buddy's ankle is doing?

I think nothing ventured nothing gained. Let’s try it with multiple lineups and see what clicks.

We’re gonna have some wrinkles and will need a press!

It is nice having the luxury of a couple three seven footers at the end of a press who can make a difference. Haven’t really had that in awhile.

I wouldn't read too much into the Pace or LeMoyne games. JB's use of the press in the preseason or for OOC games is often different from the way he will use it in ACC play. I doubt he will use the press anymore than situationally once the season gets rolling and then typically only when we are behind. The emphasis, as it always is, will be on half court defense and not giving up easy transition baskets.

I do think that this year's team might be better at trapping in the half court because of the size and overall court awareness of the team as a whole.

Nope.

I wouldn't read too much into the Pace or LeMoyne games. JB's use of the press in the preseason or for OOC games is often different from the way he will use it in ACC play. I doubt he will use the press anymore than situationally once the season gets rolling and then typically only when we are behind. The emphasis, as it always is, will be on half court defense and not giving up easy transition baskets.

I do think that this year's team might be better at trapping in the half court because of the size and overall court awareness of the team as a whole.

Trapping, yes; full court press, no, not a good idea. We lack the foot speed at too many spots. Plus we're not that deep at either guard or forward, to be honest.

I think it's going to be limited to situations where we are desperate and behind, but it'll be rare. I thought last year's team had the athletes for it. This year, not so much.

Trapping, yes; full court press, no, not a good idea. We lack the foot speed at too many spots. Plus we're not that deep at either guard or forward, to be honest.

I think it's going to be limited to situations where we are desperate and behind, but it'll be rare. I thought last year's team had the athletes for it. This year, not so much.
Yeah, I wasn't remotely suggesting we would be a pressing team, only responding to the OP. I think JB will press with the same frequency that he typically does and only when behind late in the half. We lack foot speed overall, but Benny seems to be exceptionally quick from the small sample in the Pace game. The guy in the front of the 1-2-1-1 is the guy that most needs quickness and length.

I do think we have the BBIQ to be a decent pressing team. But, from a coaching perspective, you have to fully commit to being a pressing team, including devoting practice time daily, to be any good at it even with great athletes.

maybe we wait until all the guys stop having ankle issues to ramp up the pace even more too.

We pressed pace .. exactly..

We have three 7 footers ? I can’t find them on the roster ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom