Tobe okafor | Syracusefan.com

Tobe okafor

PauliePeppas

Hall of Fame
2012 bigman just decommitted from loyola maramount 6'11 230...were showing interest according to the recruit scoop...would be a project im sure

2012 bigman just decommitted from loyola maramount 6'11 230...were showing interest according to the recruit scoop...would be a project im sure

Sounds like a project for Big Man U to me.

Just say no to projects right now we are recruiting well. Projects are the reason our APR is also in jeopardy Devin McBride-Brennan, Sean Williams were part of the class that left in 2008-2009 and you lose a point out of four for transfers. Unless, the project stays 4 years which we don't want I wouldn't touch a project would rather if we needed to waste a scholly go after a JUCO or give a scholly to a walkon for a year.

I trust the staff to make the correct decisions more often than not in regards to projects, and I am sure that the staff factors in the academic & apr aspects as well. Some recent "projects" such as AO and Andy have worked out quite nicely.

May have outgrown/out performed his commitment

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I trust the staff to make the correct decisions more often than not in regards to projects, and I am sure that the staff factors in the academic & apr aspects as well. Some recent "projects" such as AO and Andy have worked out quite nicely.
It also has to be difficult to find the backup type people. The BMKs that have the personality to accept a role that may not involve starting.

This problem really is showing in the pg spot right now. Tough to find a good backup pg, the good players want to be starters. Even jucos.

Okafor actually caught my attention in a summer camp game that I watched last summer, which featured players like Stanford Robinson and Chris McCullough to name a few. Okafor was blocking shots left n right and boarded at a high level. Don't remember him doing much on offense though and unfortunately I didn't take notes on him to remember if he had any offensive game. His defense stood out more than his offense that's for sure.

Okafor actually caught my attention in a summer camp game that I watched last summer, which featured players like Stanford Robinson and Chris McCullough to name a few. Okafor was blocking shots left n right and boarded at a high level. Don't remember him doing much on offense though and unfortunately I didn't take notes on him to remember if he had any offensive game. His defense stood out more than his offense that's for sure.

Is he related to Emeka?

Calling him a project implies that there's substantial upside, and I doubt that, based on a couple scouting reports. Maybe a Keita-type backup. MAYBE.

Calling him a project implies that there's substantial upside, and I doubt that, based on a couple scouting reports. Maybe a Keita-type backup. MAYBE.

Just curious but who classifies as a "project" than...cant teach 6'11 230

Someone who has some skills aside from "being tall."

Thats why there are coaches who try to improve your game. Highly doubt they are seriously interested but if thy took him i bet its bc hes more than "tall"...hasheem thabeet couldnt walk straight but was just "tall" no skills whatsoever...he was a project no?

Thats why there are coaches who try to improve your game. Highly doubt they are seriously interested but if thy took him i bet its bc hes more than "tall"...hasheem thabeet couldnt walk straight but was just "tall" no skills whatsoever...he was a project no?

There's a difference between 6'11" and 7'3".

I'm not saying I don't like Okafor or that he doesn't fit. SU could probably use a little more depth at the center spot in case there's an issue somewhere down the line. I would just keep my expectations tempered.

There's a difference between 6'11" and 7'3".

I'm not saying I don't like Okafor or that he doesn't fit. SU could probably use a little more depth at the center spot in case there's an issue somewhere down the line. I would just keep my expectations tempered.

Na i know, im not using this guy as a clearcut example, i would have no expectations for this kid at all. But i would trust the staff that they see something in himif they ever did offer

The problem is that this is the type of guy we pass over, he goes to a place like Cinci and in two years is a thorn in our side. Becomes a paint monster, outrebounds us, gets garbage buckets, a general pain in the ass. I would love to have one of these type of paint monsters on our bench to back up Coleman and Rok. If he has any ability to score, then it's a plus. If he has no clue how to perform offensively, stay away...unless he's a jackrabbit shot blocker rebounder, dunkaholic ala Jeremy McNeil who will get some key garbage points. If he can shoot free throws, that's even better.

Wonder why UConn isn't going after him?

A skinny 6'11 with long arms. #42 in purple.

He has a nice block at the 8 minute mark... and shows a nice dribble drive pass at 11:15.
Has some good footwork. Free throws could use work.

Theres a bunch of his teams games on youtube but he didn't get much playing time.