Today:TEEL Time Interview with Swofford | Syracusefan.com

Today:TEEL Time Interview with Swofford

arbitragegls

All Conference
...there is a lot here...and some is reading between the lines. After all, Swofford is the STEALTH NINJA! So I am going to provide a few hints for your reading:

1. It will not take 3 years for the ACC Network to be up and running--much less in fact
2. Divisions are not going to be the same in football as they are today--there are changes that are being discussed much more substantially than alluded to in interview--will take a while longer to get done
3. Bowls are eager to sign up the ACC...and in fact, look for the ACC to have minimally nine-10 bowls that ACC teams could get to with qualifying record beginning '14-'15. Note that discussions concerning the Big 5 rotating teams into different bowls is moving forward... albeit not as quickly as expected
4. International games are really being discussed...bball may happen quicker. Expect ACC bball and football in Europe and possibly China (bball) within next three years
5. What was not discussed in interview was ACC conference scheduling with another conference--more on this coming soon.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/te...wofford-acc-divisions-revenue,0,4602904.story

So far it appears to be going as our board has discussed...this board certainly has discussed most of these ramifications well...and as always, IT IS GOOD TO BE 'CUSE!!!!!

Good news Thanks, Arb. As to realigning the divisions, I hope they stay away from he OBE v Oldd ACC.

I wouldn't hate reworking divisions but count me against a straight north south alignment. As for the acc network id expect it to be up and running within 2 years since we seem to be about where the sec was last year at this time with "project x"

Good news Thanks, Arb. As to realigning the divisions, I hope they stay away from he OBE v Oldd ACC.

I agree, though it wouldn't be all that bad playing Miami and Va Tech every year.

I do want to play Clemson and FSU as much as possible and for whatever reason have always wanted to play Ga. Tech on regular basis.

I bet that a South-North split (with Miami in the North) is whats being discussed. Both UVA and VPI will adamantly oppose that, since they'd be the ones from the southern flank most likely to be placed in the North.

Unless they retain the same divisions they presently use, how else could they divide them?

I am skeptical about the possibility success of the overseas games, but I'm overjoyed at the forward thinking.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I am skeptical about the possibility success of the overseas games, but I'm overjoyed at the forward thinking.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
I think basketball is a no brainer, especially in China and Europe. Football would be different

On the possibility of bball in China. Would love to play Gtown there. Talk about a home court advantage! After the Chinese players literally kicked the Hoyas ass on the court in that riot, they may be the only other fan base whose hatred of them approaches ours.

I think basketball is a no brainer, especially in China and Europe. Football would be different
I would add Canada and Mexico for Football and Canada for Hoops.

The part about the Big 5 rotating bowls would be great. Give teams a chance to go to bowls they otherwise never had a chance. You lose fan interest (and travel) if you go to the same bowl or two every single year.

We should definitely make sure Pitt gets a rotation in the BBVA Compass Bowl in Birmingham. I think that would be a good destination for them.

The part about the Big 5 rotating bowls would be great. Give teams a chance to go to bowls they otherwise never had a chance. You lose fan interest (and travel) if you go to the same bowl or two every single year.

We should definitely make sure Pitt gets a rotation in the BBVA Compass Bowl in Birmingham. I think that would be a good destination for them.
I'd rotate Pitt on a continuous loop between Birminham and Shreveport. I heard they loved Birmingham so much they asked for it three years in a row. Shreveport is like Birmingham but smaller...I'm sure they would love it there too!

I bet that a South-North split (with Miami in the North) is whats being discussed. Both UVA and VPI will adamantly oppose that, since they'd be the ones from the southern flank most likely to be placed in the North.

Unless they retain the same divisions they presently use, how else could they divide them?

they could do straight zipper divisions:

florida state-----------Miami
Virginia Tech---------Virginia
NC State---------------North Carolina
Wake Forest----------Duke
Clemson---------------Georgia Tech
Pittsburgh-------------Louisville
Boston College--------Syracuse

Zipper-Pod Format:

Coastal South: Miami-GT-UNC-Duke
Atlantic South: FSU-Clemson-NCSt-Wake
Coastal North: UVa-Pitt-Syr
Atlantic North: VT-Louisville-BC

Then;
Rotate between two N-S combinations
One permanent cross-pod rival (matched above)
One rotating game against 2 or 3 other cross-pod members

UVa still wouldn't like it, but they would like it a lot better.

I think the challenge with the zipper format is that it necessitates playing an annual cross-division game, which means you're only playing the other 6 cross-division teams once every 6 years. That just sucks. I mean maybe that's what the league has to live with, but it still sucks.

Personally I'd try and make sure that necessary annual rivalry games are housed in the same division. That way schools would be playing 2 different cross-division teams every year, and then at least you'd see everyone in that division once every 3 1/2 years. Still far from ideal, but better.

Maybe...

Division A:
Florida State
Miami
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Syracuse
Pitt
BC

Division B:
UVA
VaTech
UNC
NC State
Wake
Duke
Louisville

As things stand today that may be a little competitively unbalanced, but that stuff ebbs and flows over time.

Coastal----------------Atlantic

Boston College-------Syracuse
Pittsburgh------------Georgia Tech
Louisville--------------Clemson
Miami------------------Florida State

This one could work. Cross Division Rival in the same position in the order. This pleases FSU with having Georgia Tech and Clemson in their division. It also keeps the GT, UVA, UNC, Duke cluster together, which all of these want. It preserves UVA-VT, UNC-NCSU, FSU-Miami. It sets up BC-Syracuse. Pitt-GT and Louisville-Clemson would be new.

Switch FSU and Miami, and, you got a deal. ;)

Zipper-Pod Format:

Coastal South: Miami-GT-UNC-Duke
Atlantic South: FSU-Clemson-NCSt-Wake
Coastal North: UVa-Pitt-Syr
Atlantic North: VT-Louisville-BC

Then;
Rotate between two N-S combinations
One permanent cross-pod rival (matched above)
One rotating game against 2 or 3 other cross-pod members

UVa still wouldn't like it, but they would like it a lot better.

That is some outstanding out of the box thinking.

UNC-UVA can be scheduled as an OOC game in years they don't meet in-conference. Thoughts on that?

I think the challenge with the zipper format is that it necessitates playing an annual cross-division game, which means you're only playing the other 6 cross-division teams once every 6 years. That just sucks. I mean maybe that's what the league has to live with, but it still sucks.

Personally I'd try and make sure that necessary annual rivalry games are housed in the same division. That way schools would be playing 2 different cross-division teams every year, and then at least you'd see everyone in that division once every 3 1/2 years. Still far from ideal, but better.

Maybe...

Division A:
Florida State
Miami
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Syracuse
Pitt
BC

Division B:
UVA
VaTech
UNC
NC State
Wake
Duke
Louisville

As things stand today that may be a little competitively unbalanced, but that stuff ebbs and flows over time.

there is no chance they put Miami and florida state in the same division though since both divisions want a florida team

There is always the Velcro Pod approach.

UNC-UVA can be scheduled as an OOC game in years they don't meet in-conference. Thoughts on that?[/quote]

Absolutely. In fact, since they don't have OOC instate rivals, all four of the NC schools and the two VA schools should schedule a ninth game against one of the three other schools that aren't in their division that year. Two of the other ones that should happen every year are Duke vs NCSt and Wake vs VT (they are in the same league two hours apart, but they hardly ever play each other).

UNC-UVA can be scheduled as an OOC game in years they don't meet in-conference. Thoughts on that?

Absolutely. In fact, since they don't have OOC instate , all four of the NC schools and the two VA schools should schedule a ninth game against one of the three other schools that aren't in their division that year. Two of the other ones that should happen every year are Duke vs NCSt and Wake vs VT (they are in the same league two hours apart, but they hardly ever play each other).[/quote]

Thats a fantastic idea. It would eliminate the need for a game versus an FCS team, or, a bottom feeder FBS team. The ADs of those schools should be talking about that idea, and, bring it to the rest of the league, to see if its something thats worthy of being explored.

Those would be games against opponents that the fans of each school care about, and, would show up for. Win-win.