Today was it for me. Syracuse basketball needs to move on. | Syracusefan.com

Today was it for me. Syracuse basketball needs to move on.

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
It's time.

I'm a mid 40's guy. Level-headed (for the most part). I've always been super hesitant to take a firm stance here because I was so deferential to the guy who got this program where it was, and also because I saw what change for the sake of change did for the football program 2 decades ago. I've NEVER said its unequivocally time. I'm not a reactionary type.

But I hit my breaking point today when I saw how flat and ill-prepared this team was in a must win game.

This program was built up on Boeheim and through both lack of ability to adapt to the modern game and lack of ability to recruit for it, he is just taking us down. He cannot and will not take us back to the top of the mountain. We absolutely and without question need a change. And it cannot just be moving a younger protege into the role who will tote out an adaptation of the same outdated schemes. We need an absolute reset and recharge.

Jim Boeheim has had a legendary career. It is time for the reigns to be handed over. Not in 2 years.

Now.

I'm so deeply and fundamentally over the slow bleed death of my basketball program. I am here in Tucson watching my son's team play and it's just night and day when you see how a modern coach adapts both in program building and in in-game management.
I’m always resistant to the notion of “the game has passed him by” critiques. It always seems lazy to me.

However, basketball is increasingly unrecognizable from the game that was played even 20 years ago. Advanced scouting, advanced analytics, etc.

If we were still pulling in recruiting classes with top 50 and top 100 players we could probably get by. But we’re not. AND we don’t seem to run a scheme that puts any pressure on our opponents, both offensively and defensively.

We may be the easiest team to prepare for in college hoops.

So, yeah, I agree.

I mean we;re still 3-1 in our last 4 games. Duke brought their A game and we got whalloped.

I agree its time to move on but I'm not giving up hope on a strong finish and winning out. Just sucks if you trekked to the Dome with your hopes up last night.
Duke needed that game as much as Syracuse did. Arguably their most important game of the season. They lose last night and they're looking at a double digit loss season guaranteed. For their NCAAT chances, they'd have been solidified as a bottom half of the bracket team.

Duke needed that game as much as Syracuse did. Arguably their most important game of the season. They lose last night and they're looking at a double digit loss season guaranteed. For their NCAAT chances, they'd have been solidified as a bottom half of the bracket team.
That was duke’s Super Bowl last night

One thing I’ve noticed is we’re all on the same hamster wheel waiting to get off. There’s not a lot more to discuss, but we all will keep discussing it.

I’m with you in that I’m not reactionary. It is the quality of players we have playing more than anything else. Yes, JB is responsible for that etc etc.

This is not a self congratulatory pat-on-the-back or anything, but for those really paying attention, this downfall started not 5 years ago, not 10, but more than a dozen years ago. It’s been a long time coming. (ps yes, we made a FF, S16, etc, but if you have analytical abilities, you saw the crisis happening during the investigation)

It's time.

I'm a mid 40's guy. Level-headed (for the most part). I've always been super hesitant to take a firm stance here because I was so deferential to the guy who got this program where it was, and also because I saw what change for the sake of change did for the football program 2 decades ago. I've NEVER said its unequivocally time. I'm not a reactionary type.

But I hit my breaking point today when I saw how flat and ill-prepared this team was in a must win game.

This program was built up on Boeheim and through both lack of ability to adapt to the modern game and lack of ability to recruit for it, he is just taking us down. He cannot and will not take us back to the top of the mountain. We absolutely and without question need a change. And it cannot just be moving a younger protege into the role who will tote out an adaptation of the same outdated schemes. We need an absolute reset and recharge.

Jim Boeheim has had a legendary career. It is time for the reigns to be handed over. Not in 2 years.

Now.
Paul was in the exact same spot as Jim. Program going down hill. Running antiquated schemes. Recruiting mediocre at best. It was time for Paul to go (before the vote of confidence and the bowl game, not after).

Rumors we might be headed down the same path with an inhouse promotion. Which I believe will set us back even more.
What rumors?

I knew JB should have retired over 5 years ago. I’m surprised many fans are just now coming around. I fully expected the program would decline if he hung on too long. Nothing that’s happened in the past 5-6 years ago has surprised me.

JB is now just tarnishing his once proud legacy. If he hangs on any longer he will completely destroy his legacy.

I knew JB should have retired over 5 years ago. I’m surprised many fans are just now coming around. I fully expected the program would decline if he hung on too long. Nothing that’s happened in the past 5-6 years ago has surprised me.

JB is now just tarnishing his once proud legacy. If he hangs on any longer he will completely destroy his legacy.

Alot of us have said this will get a lot worse for him before it gets better the longer this continues. And so far no lies were told.