Conference news updates for 8/11: Big Ten and PAC12 OUT | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Conference news updates for 8/11: Big Ten and PAC12 OUT

Kids are on campus and still practicing at schools that have already cancelled their seasons. By doing so the universities are saying it is too risky to play a three hour game vs another school but ok to go to class, be on campus, and practice with your own teammates. It logically makes little sense. If games are being shutdown so should practice and classes.

You're right. It makes zero sense.

Hypotetical scenario: let’s say the ACC and the SEC decide to play and the ACC bails on the OOC game on the schedule. Can seniors from the conferences that are out transfer freely? Would they? Could Syracuse prosper in a situation like that?

You're right. It makes zero sense.
Football is a billion $ industry. Education is a trillion $ industry. It will be paid in terms of human capital.

Why? Either it is safe to play or it isn’t safe to play. Why would the ACC depend on the B12?

The negative press will overwhelm them. And they certainly don't want the SEC to cancel before them.

Academy kids would be until they finish school and sign their first professional contract. Some of the advanced talents will train with, and play lower level cup matches with the senior squad. One of the Liverpool players that lifted the trophy this season had just turned 17 for example in Harvey Elliott.

That said, curious the breakdown of amount of school work is done in person for football players Vs proxie with tutors during the season? I honestly haven't the slightest the ratio but would think the school could afford them extra education related personnel if need be if they adhere to the same protocol.

As loathsome as I think Saban is, he might be right here in that players would be much better protected in this scenario Vs cancellation and sending them back out into the student body full time.

Talk about a bad look. If students were told to stay off campus and go to classes virtually while football “student athletes” were allowed to live in campus housing and play football. People would lose their minds.

Talk about a bad look. If students were told to stay off campus and go to classes virtually while football “student athletes” were allowed to live in campus housing and play football. People would lose their minds.

Have SU students been told that? My oldest is entering his Sophomore year in Rochester and is heading back this weekend to get settled prior to classes. On campus admission was contingent on students passing a covid test first.

All of the football student athletes live off-campus so that is not an issue. They would continue to live off campus, take online classes like everyone else, and continue to workout and eat within their bubble just like they have all summer. I'm not sure a regular student would have agreed to the level of isolation that the players do on a daily basis. They've done a great job to keep healthy and keep the hope of playing alive.

Soccer leagues aren't being played in a bubble. They are relying on player responsibility and the general low infection rates in Europe to avoid outbreaks. Because Europe has managed coronavirus the plan has worked... we. could have nice things too if 40%. of the population wasn't bunch of selfish people.

I know you shared that you don't follow soccer, post covid season restarts were entirely played in a bubble though. Worth looking into if you're interested.

I get your point about the US population as a whole, suppose my point is there are means to succeed in spite of if the players and coaches desired.

Have SU students been told that? My oldest is entering his Sophomore year in Rochester and is heading back this weekend to get settled prior to classes. On campus admission was contingent on students passing a covid test first.

I have no idea, hence the use of the word “If”.

Is Cuse running weekly tests on all students? A recent study came out that expects infections to reach about 36% of the student body, for schools that dont.

That’s the preview to canceling.
Could be... some also view it as a coordinated message to the Big XII to stay aligned in the P3 as the SEC released a similar statement within seconds of the ACC.

Could be... some also view it as a coordinated message to the Big XII to stay aligned in the P3 as the SEC released a similar statement within seconds of the ACC.

I hope you’re right. I would love to see an alliance with the three conferences.

Of course. Why wait until late September when u cancel those games now?
Paul Finebaum stated the B1G Commissioner has wanted to cancel since months ago. He conveniently came across the myocarditis report and I guess got his scapegoat.

Strange times when Commissioners are actively looking for reasons to justify a premeditated conclusion.

The B1G's handling of this situation has been a complete clusterfok. You have to wonder if this would have been different if Delaney were still the commish.

- Release a schedule then five days later decide to cancel the seaason.
- Decide to cancel the season now when they could have have easily waited a few more weeks.
- Barry Alvarez AD of Wisconsin said today the players will continue to have a 20 hour work week to train, do drills etc. What the fooK? You can do that but can't play football games?
- Every constituency wants to play - players, coaches, fans - but a few administrators fearful of a lawsuit pack it in.
- The individual odds of a college football player dying from covid is < one in 500K. Yet one of the B1G presidents said he lived in fear of a player dying from covid on his watch.
- Yeah and the players are gonna follow protocols now that there is no season, right? Sheet I'd say they're 2-3x more likely to get it now that there is no major incentive to avoid the virus.
- Spring season? lol. Any legit season takes 4+ months from camp through postseason. What are they going to play in the dead of winter in WI, MN and MI? Then turn around a couple of months later and play in the Fall?

Last edited:
- Barry Alvarez AD of Wisconsin said today the players will continue to have a 20 hour work week to train, do drills etc. What the fooK? You can do that but can't play football games?

This makes so sense at all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom