Today's Swofford Interview with David Glenn... | Syracusefan.com

Today's Swofford Interview with David Glenn...

arbitragegls

All Conference
I will provide some insight next to David's paraphrase:

You can find the interview below, but here is an in-depth text version of some of the things Swofford had to say --(by the way, David Glenn is an authoritative source on all things ACC)
On the recent transitions and movement the ACC has faced:
“The highs have been much more numerous and much better and more frequent than the lows.”
“But it’s been a pretty tumultuous time, and fortunately for the ACC, we’ve landed in a terrific spot where we’re bigger, we’re better, we’re stronge, and better positioned for the future than maybe we’ve ever been.”
“Not that this is an ending point necessarily, but I think things will level out, and we’ll be back to a much more normal life, so to speak, going forward.”
On the ACC’s Grant of Rights:
“I think the Grant of Rights was something that in this day and age—and at this given point in time—was extremely critical to our league going forward. It’s puts us in a position where there are and will be opportunities for us that would not have existed had we not taken that step.”
“It puts an end to what I think were mostly rumors, but still negative rumors. Negative perceptions can sort of chip away at any conference, any organization. This put that to bed.”
“I don’t think there was much reality in some of the things being said—or being spoken about—but at the same time, the perceptions were not healthy and not helpful in terms of the things we were trying to do as a conference.” (The GOR stands regardless of the timing of the ACC Netowrk--GOR not tied to ACC Network)

On The ACC’s Footprint:
“We’re at 105 million, I think, in terms of population, and similar number in terms of television households. That’s greater than any other conference.”
“It’s projected to grow over the next 15 years. We put a lot of analysis into evaluating and putting together the reasoning behind why we would should take the step to going to a grant of rights with our schools.”
“One of the things that we found: It’s projected that in 2030, 55% of the population in the United States will be in the ACC Footprint; that’s pretty staggering.”
“You don’t have to be a genius to figure out that over the long-term this league has enormous potential.” ( And this is primary reason why the ACC Network will come to pass--and it is moving forward)
On the potential for the ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament moving to New York City:
“There is some interest in New York, without question. Some of that, as we look ahead, is dependent upon availability of venues.”
“It’s the media capital of the world, and with our new footprint, it certainly makes sense to take a look at New York.”
“But that’s something that’s in process, right now…It will take a while longer to play itself out. Personally, you want to do what’s best for the league and its future. The schools, ultimately, make that determination—in terms of the sites for the basketball tournament.”(as previously discussed in threads, the availability of MSG is a key point that must be cleared prior to bball tournament moving to NYC)

On the future of the ACC Football Championship Game in Charlotte, NC:
“We’ll probably have that decision made by this year’s game (December 7, 2013). We’ve been in Charlotte three years—two of those years were sellouts.”
“This past year, was an odd year for our championship game, with a couple of schools that could’ve been in Charlotte but weren’t.”
“The game has been more successful in Charlotte than anywhere else we have taken it. Sometimes, we have some discussion about the game being on-campus, which is what the Pac-12 is doing. But I think the success of the game in Charlotte probably bodes well for its future in Charlotte.”(differing opinions on this topic...several universities prefer the PAC 12 on campus solution--still in discussion but as said finalization of what to do coming soon)
On the ACC expanding into Europe:
“We’re in the early points of discussion about that. I brought it up to our schools, and they were very interested in pursuing that.”
“Basketball is an international game that’s played all over the world. Obviously, we have a lot of people in our league—from Mike Krzyzewski and Jim Boeheim with the current United States team.”
(yup, JB to be on USA Olympic Staff)
“I think it’s something that could be an excellent experience for the student-athletes that would participate, and for our schools. Most all of our schools have international campuses, now. It’s something that we’re serious about, but we’ve got a ways to go in terms of the particulars and the logistics of trying to pull that off.”(look for Bball to head this with football to follow...JB and Coach K promoting)
Click on the audio player below to listen to the interview.
Look below the audio player for links to other recent interviews in the Audio Vault.
John Swofford (17:51)
Want to download the audio file to your computer? Click here.

For the most part the Interview confirms much of what we have been discussing. Obviously Swofford has to be careful insofar as being too specific...overall the ACC is moving forward and it is good...some time and patience...
It's Good to be 'Cuse!!!!!!

Basketball playing a few games over in Europe is pretty appealing. The ACC is far and away the best basketball conference so finding potential match-ups that will excite the Europeans shouldn't be too difficult. It'll be interesting to see how college football does, though.

Basketball playing a few games over in Europe is pretty appealing. The ACC is far and away the best basketball conference so finding potential match-ups that will excite the Europeans shouldn't be too difficult. It'll be interesting to see how college football does, though.

China is also in love with Basketball and they too hate the Hoyas.

I'm struggling with this a bit, but perhaps it could work. Things to consider:

1. it probably needs to happen around Jan 8-12... before the 2nd semester starts.
2. The ACC will want to showcase some good teams, yet not sacrifice marquee matchups. (Duke vs UNC, SU won't want to give up a big home game)
3. Getting a court there. They did it for Yukon vs MSU, so it must be possible.
4. Would anyone actually go to see the games?

My best guess is that it could be two double headers with two top-tier teams and two mid-tier teams. The the top-tier teams would not meet.

Anything else and you start to wonder if you're messing with the fairness of the league competition... which you're actually already doing.

College football works when it's Notre Dame in Ireland, or the NFL in London.

The only league games that could be played there would need to be annual games. Nobody would want to give up their once-every-12-year home game against a high profile program. Simply shift the future schedules by a year and nobody loses a home game in the series. The best candidates would appear to be: FSU vs Miami, FSU vs Clemson and VPI vs Miami.

Due to academics this either needs to be the first game of the season or Thanksgiving week. The latter could involve bad weather unless its played indoors. Finding a proper venue could be tough. Since no soccer club will want to sacrifice it's field, it would have to be in a stadium that's not used on a weekly basis... e.g. Wembley. A smaller, yet nice venue, might be better, as I doubt they'd find more than 30-35k that would attend.

I'll be watching to see how this develops.

swofford know the ACC needs and should be playing the hoop tourney in MSG. therefore, it will happen. Barclays wont cut it, MSG or bust.

im ok with the Champ game at Charlotte every year. im also ok with the on-campus option.

off site means you are looking for folks to travel 2x (bowl game). Syracuse should hope for the on-campus, hope we are good enough to host and win, and if not...see you at the Disney Bowl or whatever the #2 or 3 ACC bowl is called.

or a W and its the F4 or Orange.

its the better scenario for Orange fans. in charlotte, we would be outnumbered anywho.

"The schools, ultimately, make that determination—in terms of the sites for the basketball tournament.”
-------------------------

Translation: Don't hold your breath. You'll turn Carolina Blue waiting for it to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom