Tomorrow, the Dome stands alone... | Syracusefan.com

Tomorrow, the Dome stands alone...

I've always found it amazing that this has never happened to the Dome with the amount of snow we get.

I know that there are people up there working to melt the snow, but still, I always have so many questions...

- How can the roof support people's weight?
- What is the roof made of?
- How thick is it?

These are the random questions that go through my mind when we have almost a week between games...

The dome's made of teflon-coated fiberglass and its main defense against snow are huge chutes that are clearly visible under the dome that feed heated air along its underside.

The dome's made of teflon-coated fiberglass and its main defense against snow are huge chutes that are clearly visible under the dome that feed heated air along its underside.

But...but...but...can it support someone standing on it?

I've always found it amazing that this has never happened to the Dome with the amount of snow we get.

I know that there are people up there working to melt the snow, but still, I always have so many questions...

- How can the roof support people's weight?
- What is the roof made of?
- How thick is it?

These are the random questions that go through my mind when we have almost a week between games...

my cousin works for the dome and part of his job is to keep the dome from falling. Its a pretty simple formula (to them - well over my head) of heat and monitoring the airflow.

Ive heard the metro dome was strictly user errror in applying that formula. They actually reached out to Pete Sala and the Dome for help in fixing the issue.

550108_1682641150234_1363740383_31550795_1186577093_n_medium.jpg

Back in January 1994 I remember the Dome being deflated as a safety precaution. I had an inside view. There were only Dome personnel inside. Looked like a cross between a deflated hot air ballon and a tent that was put up by flunky boy scouts.

Wonder if there are pictures around when the roof was replaced. It would be great to see an aerial shot of the Dome without the roof.

Back in January 1994 I remember the Dome being deflated as a safety precaution. I had an inside view. There were only Dome personnel inside. Looked like a cross between a deflated hot air ballon and a tent that was put up by flunky boy scouts.

Wonder if there are pictures around when the roof was replaced. It would be great to see an aerial shot of the Dome without the roof.

Here's a construction photo:

38a.gif

Haven't you experienced the wind tunnel affect when you enter the building???

Of course...for some reason I imagined the roof as thin as a tent or something like that, but then I realized that would be ridiculous...

It has been deflated three times I believe. Also, I remember there was one game where there was a leak and water needed to be constantly wiped from the floor. I think in 1997 or 8. Someone can back me up right.

It has been deflated three times I believe. Also, I remember there was one game where there was a leak and water needed to be constantly wiped from the floor. I think in 1997 or 8. Someone can back me up right.

One time the entire roof just went wisp-ping around Syracuse like kid's balloon. Caused a couple of traffic accidents as it bounced around.

Last edited:
But...but...but...can it support someone standing on it?

Yeah, air pressure. Lets assume that the dome roof is a circle with a radius of approximately 70 yards (I'm guessing). If the dome is pressurized to just 0.25 psi above ambient (ie the pressure inside is just 2% higher than the pressure outside) that could support a weight of 5 million pounds (including the roof itself).

Gotta figure out a way to somehow get fans/students closer to the court. A BIG downside even though there aren't many about the Dome.