Tonight's broadcast - Jay Williams | Syracusefan.com

Tonight's broadcast - Jay Williams

BludOrange

All Conference
He's a Duke homer and seems to always focus on the things we don't do well. He'll praise us with one comment but then follows it up with two negatives about our squad. Then he jumps right into how is beloved blue devils or some other alleged blue blood school will exploit these supposed flaws.
How long into the broadcast before he starts saying Duke got hosed by the refs against us?

He is a bit of a moron. But he did have us going to the final 4 in his preseason predictions.

Especially since we have how many games called by guys who went to SU?

We do have a lot. But they don't use broadcasts of two other teams as a recruiting pitch or their alma mata like J Will does.

I actually think Williams does such a bad job setting up proper context for his commentary that it often seems he is way off base when really what he is saying isn't that far off the mark or is at least relative. Yes he's a big Duke homer and does a worse job hiding it than many announcers do with their schools. Oh well.

Eh, after the Duke game when he picked the most exciting game he's ever seen he picked the 6OT game - I'll give him some credit for that.

He is pretty stupid and bad at his job - likable enough guy from what I can tell though so I let it slide. When he was arguing with Greenberg in some segment about the best conference THIS YEAR his reasoning for the B10 seemed solely based on how much history these teams have. Nice, Jay.

My favorite thing about Jay Williams was the NYT piece last year. The whole thing was (if I recall correctly) about him overcoming all these amazing obstacles like getting a free education from Duke, free rehab at Duke after his accident, getting paid by the Bulls even though they didn't have to, having lots of awesome friends, and an unbelievable dream job handed to him that he was completely unqualified for. Oh, he was also sad that he couldn't play in the NBA for a bit after injuring himself - I guess that was the big takeaway.

Never paid much attention to him. Until halftime of the ND game when he went off on his little Syracuse has a lot to prove mini rant. Obviously still butt hurt from Duke losing to us two days earlier, he just looked silly. After the game and tries to backslide with What I mean to say is . . .
Not a great day for Jay. And I don't really disagree with the point he had buried deep down in all that sorrow and frustration. You're on tv Jay. Presentation counts.

Not sure what's the more annoying complaint - the refs sucked and we won in spite of them or these announcers are rooting against us.

I actually think Williams does such a bad job setting up proper context for his commentary that it often seems he is way off base when really what he is saying isn't that far off the mark or is at least relative.
Busting on him for being a former Duke player is just part of the fun of busting on Duke in general.

Mostly I bust on Jay Williams because I think he's really bad at his job.

those duke fans are pretty sensitive. i made one little joke about jay williams tweeting while doing a wheelie on a crotchrocket and I'm banned. jeez.

I think we should back up with the "Jay Williams said Duke got hosed!" stuff considering after that game he immediately took to Twitter and called it a good no call.

Feel free mods to take the liberty and delete these whiny announcer or analyst rants. It's getting tiresome and makes us look foolish.

As a board, can we stop thinking every broadcaster is biased against our team and is a "insert team here" homer? Its just not the case.

Tell that to Duke Vitale. I disagree with your opinion. They way it should be done is when the offense makes a good play you talk about the offense. When the defense makes a good play you talk about the defense. But these ESPN bozos stay one sided regardless of which side makes the play! (Dear Moderators, please don't ban me again for bad language by saying "bozos". That's the most restraint I can muster in terms of bad language about ESPN broadcasters)