Too Damn Predictable | Syracusefan.com

Too Damn Predictable

Nicknack

All Conference
One of the things that many on this board, including myself, have complained about is that our Boeheim coached teams have become so damn predictable. That said, I do give Jim credit for changing it up some with the zone (towards the latter part of the season). Against Duke, with Buddy out, Jim showed he still knows how to coach. He mixed things up which almost led to a huge upset. It was great to see. The problem though, is that he doesn't seem to do that unless forced.

I'm not a Coach K fan (hope he loses tonight by 50), but he gets it. Now, he does have much better talent but still, he mixes it up. Watching the Duke/Texas Tech game the other night showed this. In the second half, Duke switched to the 2-3 zone and completely confused the crap out of TT. They weren't ready for it at all and Duke got a lot of stops because of that. Eventually, TT realized they had to adjust by flashing a guy to the middle and their offense started going again. Good teams make adjustments.

Everyone knows we're going to the 2-3 and won't change our D regardless. That makes game planning against us SO much easier. The exception to this is when we field players who play the zone at a high level. Then we can just dare teams to beat our zone. The problem is that we can't get those kind of players any more (or at least not enough of them). The other issue, well documented on this board, is that good teams now days have 4-5 guys who can drain a 3.

In any event, I just with Boeheim (in his final year or two) would throw more curve balls by mixing things up, particularly with the personnel we have. Keep opposing coaches off guard rather than being so easy to prepare for.

Especially when you lack talent. If we’re more talented than most of the teams we play like we used to be, then I can understand a “this is what we do, make them adjust to us” mentality.

But when we’re bad-mediocre talent wise, that’s not a wise strategy IMO. Relying on ISO Buddy and a crappy version of the 2-3 zone….ugh. What a loooooong freaking year.

One of the things that many on this board, including myself, have complained about is that our Boeheim coached teams have become so damn predictable. That said, I do give Jim credit for changing it up some with the zone (towards the latter part of the season). Against Duke, with Buddy out, Jim showed he still knows how to coach. He mixed things up which almost led to a huge upset. It was great to see. The problem though, is that he doesn't seem to do that unless forced.

I'm not a Coach K fan (hope he loses tonight by 50), but he gets it. Now, he does have much better talent but still, he mixes it up. Watching the Duke/Texas Tech game the other night showed this. In the second half, Duke switched to the 2-3 zone and completely confused the crap out of TT. They weren't ready for it at all and Duke got a lot of stops because of that. Eventually, TT realized they had to adjust by flashing a guy to the middle and their offense started going again. Good teams make adjustments.

Everyone knows we're going to the 2-3 and won't change our D regardless. That makes game planning against us SO much easier. The exception to this is when we field players who play the zone at a high level. Then we can just dare teams to beat our zone. The problem is that we can't get those kind of players any more (or at least not enough of them). The other issue, well documented on this board, is that good teams now days have 4-5 guys who can drain a 3.

In any event, I just with Boeheim (in his final year or two) would throw more curve balls by mixing things up, particularly with the personnel we have. Keep opposing coaches off guard rather than being so easy to prepare for.
Wasn’t the first time that Duke used the 2-3 zone either. They have done it a number of times. This was from 2018.

JB has also adjusted his zone. This year we saw a 1-3-1 , a 1-1-3 zone, matchup zone, triangle &2, etc. He has made adjustments. He has used pressure defense but as we should realize this team was not athletically suited for pressure this year. We need more flexibility with our players to make effective defensive adjustments like we’ve had in the past.

If this thread was pick one thing that JAB does that bothers you is that we never switch to M2M on an inbound play. How many times has an opponent scored on a very short clock because we didn't cover someone.

JB still seems sharp as a whip and more than capable of making excellent adjustments. For obvious reasons this year, he simply chose not to until the very end.

JB still seems sharp as a whip and more than capable of making excellent adjustments. For obvious reasons this year, he simply chose not to until the very end.
Whips are sharp? Can’t remember last time I cut myself on a whip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom