Took care of business against a good team; a few thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Took care of business against a good team; a few thoughts

Rocco

Watching you.
Wasn't the prettiest of games, but we made more plays than they did to get back in the W column at 2-2.

Devito looked poised out there on a few of the early keepers that gained some big yardage. He made some great throws on a few of the TD passes, too. Overall, easily his best game yet. As he continues to get his reps with his offense, I'm hopeful they'll continue to gel and improve. Stats... 27/35, 287 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INT... 85 yds rushing with another TD... 5 total TD.

Triston Jackson showed why he's one of the best WRs in the ACC today. A few of the plays he made were high level. We need to keep feeding that kid. He's leaps and bounds better than the next WR. 6 catches, 141 yds, 2 TDs.

Alton Robinson is a BEAST. This was one of the best games of his career, if not THE best. Dude was in the backfield nearly every play bringing pressure and causing a raucous. He's going to be paid handsomely soon enough. I'd love to see him on the GMen.

Sterling Hofrichter is ridiculous. I know it's not a glamorous position, and we certainly don't want to see much of him, but boy, when his number gets called, he more than delivers. He will also get his chance to play on Sundays.

Defensively, we need to continue to work on tackling. The 1st half defense was much better than the 2nd half. The secondary had better coverage on WMU's last few drives, but the soft zone on 3rd and long has to never be called again. It is absolutely worthless, especially when only bringing 3 down linemen. I just don't understand why these kids try to shoulder tackle. When you take out the feet, they stop moving forward. It's that simple.

The OL is obviously still a work in progress. When Tommy steps up into the pocket and fires darts, he shows his true talent. You can tell he's still not comfortable yet because he knows pressure is coming and often times, it's unblocked.

This is how I see it... take care of Holy Cross next week and rest any of the key starters who are dinged up at all. Let some of the younger kids play. With the following bye week, that gives them a full 2+ weeks to get healthy for the ACC schedule. I still have faith and I think the bye week is perfectly timed. They will continue to get better, especially on offense. They need more practice and will have ample opportunities to do so over the next 2-3 weeks.

I still think this team can win 8-9 games, maybe even 10. No one on our schedule is nearly as formidable as Clemson. They're all beatable. LGO.

Encouraged by what I saw on offense today. Tommy did a really good job (outside of that throw into triple coverage and the sack to take us out of FG range) and looked comfortable for the first time this year. Moe ran hard and did a great job as the lead rusher. Trishton is an animal, that stiff arm was nasty.

Defense needs to figure out its coverages, can't have so many open guys running around back there. Luckily the pressure on the backfield helped hide some of those concerns. Great job forcing turnovers and tightening up when we had to in the 4th.

Put up 80 on Holy Cross and work on the offensive chemistry, get healthy during the bye week, and get ready to roll down at NC State.

Encouraged by what I saw on offense today. Tommy did a really good job (outside of that throw into triple coverage and the sack to take us out of FG range) and looked comfortable for the first time this year. Moe ran hard and did a great job as the lead rusher. Trishton is an animal, that stiff arm was nasty.

Defense needs to figure out its coverages, can't have so many open guys running around back there. Luckily the pressure on the backfield helped hide some of those concerns. Great job forcing turnovers and tightening up when we had to in the 4th.

Put up 80 on Holy Cross and work on the offensive chemistry, get healthy during the bye week, and get ready to roll down at NC State.
I want to see Jordan vs Holy Cross.

Alexander had his praises sung by Eric Wood, who was on the sidelines today. According to Wood, the DE for WMU he was matched up against has been good this season. Said he did a great job on him in pass protection. Vettorello got beat a couple times, but we have to be patient with him. Conway was the same way when he first started playing and turned out to be a solid ACC tackle.

Dunno my OL and WR (everyone but Trish) concerns are bigger than they were before the game. Tommy had to be perfect and they spotted us points with a fumble through the end zone and fortunately lost their best player when they had all the momentum and were outplaying us. But we got 2 weeks to work on things and our D can't play worse vs NC State than they did last year so I feel good enough.

Dunno my OL and WR (everyone but Trish) concerns are bigger than they were before the game. Tommy had to be perfect and they spotted us points with a fumble through the end zone and fortunately lost their best player when they had all the momentum and were outplaying us. But we got 2 weeks to work on things and our D can't play worse vs NC State than they did last year so I feel good enough.
We spotted them points with two fumbles by our RBs too. Its a good win, against a WMU team that will have a good season in the MAC. Lester is a good coach. Defense is concerning, especially LB play, but Jones I have faith it will come on as the season progresses.

We spotted them points with two fumbles by our RBs too. Its a good win, against a WMU team that will have a good season in the MAC. Lester is a good coach. Defense is concerning, especially LB play, but Jones I have faith it will come on as the season progresses.
Honestly, they need iffy and trill starting, and Cordy in for specific packages. Frederick and Bradshaw can’t get it done. It’s 4-5 years of consistent weak play from those guys.

Honestly, they need iffy and trill starting, and Cordy in for specific packages. Frederick and Bradshaw can’t get it done. It’s 4-5 years of consistent weak play from those guys.
I can understand your gripe with Bradshaw but Fredrick? No way, he's been awesome for the last two plus seasons.