3.1 Florida Tennessee ESPN SEC 9/15
3.1 Nebraska Ohio State ABC BiG 10/6
3.1 Florida South Carolina CBS SEC 10/20
3.0 Stanford UCLA FOX P12 11/30
2.9 Clemson Florida State ABC ACC 9/22
2.9 Tennessee Georgia CBS SEC 9/29
2.9 West Virginia Texas FOX B12 10/6
2.9 Wisconsin Nebraska FOX BiG 12/1

The above represent single game ratings. I mistakenly thought the 3.1 rating FSU/Miami received was a stand-alone but it actually was a joint game with Texas/Baylor so is not on the list.

The conference is the one that got credit for it being their "home" game.

SEC - 10
BiG - 6
Indy - 4
B12 - 4
P12 - 3
ACC - 3

Team appearances regardless if home or away:

Notre Dame - 7
Alabama - 5
Florida - 5
Georgia - 3
LSU - 3
Michigan - 3
Ohio State - 3
Stanford - 3
Texas - 3
FSU -2
Mich State - 2
Nebraska - 2
Oklahoma - 2
South Carolina - 2
Tennessee - 2
Arkansas - 1
Army - 1
Boston College - 1
Clemson - 1
Kansas State - 1
Navy - 1
Oregon - 1
Pitt - 1
Southern Cal - 1
Texas A&M - 1
UCLA - 1
WVU - 1
Wisconsin - 1

14 of the games were played prior to October 15th while 16 were after that date.

However, all Top 8 were after October 15th and 11 of the Top 15 highest were after October 15th.

In other words, if were your control, save your most attractive TV games for after October 15th.

Cheers,
Neil

9.8 Alabama Georgia CBS SEC 11/30
9.4 Notre Dame Southern California ABC P12 11/24
6.8 Alabama Louisiana State CBS SEC 11/3
6.1 Texas A&M Alabama CBS SEC 11/10
5.8 Michigan Ohio State ABC BiG 11/24
5.2 Notre Dame Oklahoma ABC B12 10/27
5.1 Florida Florida State ABC ACC 11/24
5.1 Stanford Oregon ABC P12 11/17
4.8 Alabama Michigan ABC BiG 9/1
4.6 Florida Louisiana State CBS SEC 10/6
4.2 Georgia Florida CBS SEC 10/27
4.1 Army Navy CBS IND 12/8
4.0 Michigan Notre Dame NBC IND 9/22
3.8 Pittsburgh Notre Dame NBC IND 11/3
3.7 South Carolina Louisiana State ESPN SEC 10/13
3.6 Notre Dame Boston College ABC ACC 11/10
3.5 Texas Oklahoma ABC B12 10/13
3.3 Ohio State Michigan State ABC BiG 9/29
3.3 Stanford Notre Dame NBC IND 10/13
3.3 Texas Kansas State ABC B12 12/1
3.2 Notre Dame Michigan State ABC BiG 9/15
3.2 Alabama Arkansas CBS SEC 9/15
3.1 Florida Tennessee ESPN SEC 9/15
3.1 Nebraska Ohio State ABC BiG 10/6
3.1 Florida South Carolina CBS SEC 10/20
3.0 Stanford UCLA FOX P12 11/30
2.9 Clemson Florida State ABC ACC 9/22
2.9 Tennessee Georgia CBS SEC 9/29
2.9 West Virginia Texas FOX B12 10/6
2.9 Wisconsin Nebraska FOX BiG 12/1

Cheers,
Neil

Very interesting to look at especially when broken down by team. Of all the teams who appeared multiple times, I ask you b/c you seem to actually know about this TV stuff, how many are from even remotely desirable? I'm guessing Florida if they are included in jacksonville and/or orlando. Maybe FSU as well? I think this is what so many people -- read presidents and people trying to make up conferences based on DMAs (no, I don't even exactly know what that stands for) miss. What makes ratings and intriguing product/programming is matchups. Teams and games people care about.

It's pretty interesting that many were wondering about GA Tech and the Big 10 due to the Atlanta TV market, yet they aren't on that list despite a matchup in the ACC championship game and a game vs. a rival and pretty big draw in a national championship type season in Georgia.

Michigan State (Lansing, market no. 114 I believe) and Nebraska (Lincoln no. 106) are both on there twice.

Edit: Another couple interesting additions upon looking at this:

-- The SEC and BiG have 16 games of the 30 between them. What do they both have in common (among some other things)? Really strong regional buy-in and rivalries. Teams and games people care about.

-- That list drives home a harsh reality about our new home that I've been arguing for a while -- while the teams/schools are more recognizable, there is still no particular interest in this as a football conference. Of the appearances on the list -- Florida/FSU is only there b/c of that rivalry and nothing to do with the ACC. ND/BC, obviously is the same. So one game from the ACC last year -- clemson/FSU -- makes the top 30 list. Obviously the BE didn't fare any better and I'm happy to at least not be feeling awfully lonely like UConn probably is right now, but arguing that we're in anything better than the new "worst BCS conference" is misguided.

Very interesting to look at especially when broken down by team. Of all the teams who appeared multiple times, I ask you b/c you seem to actually know about this TV stuff, how many are from even remotely desirable? I'm guessing Florida if they are included in jacksonville and/or orlando. Maybe FSU as well? I think this is what so many people -- read presidents and people trying to make up conferences based on DMAs (no, I don't even exactly know what that stands for) miss. What makes ratings and intriguing product/programming is matchups. Teams and games people care about.

It's pretty interesting that many were wondering about GA Tech and the Big 10 due to the Atlanta TV market, yet they aren't on that list despite a matchup in the ACC championship game and a game vs. a rival and pretty big draw in a national championship type season in Georgia.

Michigan State (Lansing, market no. 114 I believe) and Nebraska (Lincoln no. 106) are both on there twice.

While no TV expert, my thoughts on this are as follows:

National TV games are driven more by Football Kings; undefeated teams for that season; what else is the game competing against; and match-ups as you state.

Markets really only come into play when the huge DMA team is decent and they are playing either a Football King having a good year, or an undefeated team who also has some interest from fans in that DMA.

Case in point, the ND/BC game makes the list, but the Wake/ND game does not.

The BiG is hoping that Michigan vs Rutgers at MetLife will be an ND/BC type game while hoping when PSU gets back on track that the Nits vs MD will another one.

No matter what anyone says, football content isn't driving conference networks. There simply isn't enough of it to do so. But the crazy fans who follow those huge football programs want to at least watch the school's remaining sports teams on TV, if not actually show up at them live.

So, in this regard, the BiG is banking on alumni from their huge football factories residing in NYC, DC, and Baltimore putting the pressure on those cities' cable providers in addition to the Terps and Rutty fans to get full price in those markets.

We'll see if they can pull it off or not. They weren't able to pull it off in Philly with PSU in the fold. Perhaps with PSU, Rutty and Maryland, they will?

Cheers,
Neil

While no TV expert, my thoughts on this are as follows:

National TV games are driven more by Football Kings; undefeated teams for that season; what else is the game competing against; and match-ups as you state.

Markets really only come into play when the huge DMA team is decent and they are playing either a Football King having a good year, or an undefeated team who also has some interest from fans in that DMA.

Case in point, the ND/BC game makes the list, but the Wake/ND game does not.

The BiG is hoping that Michigan vs Rutgers at MetLife will be an ND/BC type game while hoping when PSU gets back on track that the Nits vs MD will another one.

No matter what anyone says, football content isn't driving conference networks. There simply isn't enough of it to do so. But the crazy fans who follow those huge football programs want to at least watch the school's remaining sports teams on TV, if not actually show up at them live.

So, in this regard, the BiG is banking on alumni from their huge football factories residing in NYC, DC, and Baltimore putting the pressure on those cities' cable providers in addition to the Terps and Rutty fans to get full price in those markets.

We'll see if they can pull it off or not. They weren't able to pull it off in Philly with PSU in the fold. Perhaps with PSU, Rutty and Maryland, they will?

Cheers,
Neil

Interesting. Appreciate the insight. I don't know that adding MD really helps the BiG in DC as I would say Penn St, ND and then fans from the state of whomever is the current president (i.e. there were massive UT watch parties when Bush was president but I haven't seen many UT fans around since Obama came in; obviously that is purely anecdotal) drive that market.

Regardless, will be interesting to watch. I don't understand the long-term vision, particularly when bound almost exclusively by TV money (at least as it appears). That is a notoriously fluid and fickle situation as far as I know.

This cannot be right, Rutgers has to be on that list a few times, the powerhouse team that they are. I demand a recount!

-- That list drives home a harsh reality about our new home that I've been arguing for a while -- while the teams/schools are more recognizable, there is still no particular interest in this as a football conference. Of the appearances on the list -- Florida/FSU is only there b/c of that rivalry and nothing to do with the ACC. ND/BC, obviously is the same. So one game from the ACC last year -- clemson/FSU -- makes the top 30 list. Obviously the BE didn't fare any better and I'm happy to at least not be feeling awfully lonely like UConn probably is right now, but arguing that we're in anything better than the new "worst BCS conference" is misguided.

Do you think this changes for the ACC if they could actually field some championship contenders?

Many of the games on the list (specifically after Oct 15) were games that mattered in terms of the National Championship picture. I think I count 6 of the top 10 games had to do with a team or teams trying to stay alive for the title.

This cannot be right, Rutgers has to be on that list a few times, the powerhouse team that they are. I demand a recount!

haha...where is Buttgers / Lousiville and the coveted NY market? After all buttgers was playing for a Sugar bowl berth against Florida?

Do you think this changes for the ACC if they could actually field some championship contenders?

Many of the games on the list (specifically after Oct 15) were games that mattered in terms of the National Championship picture. I think I count 6 of the top 10 games had to do with a team or teams trying to stay alive for the title.

I agree, but it's not like the ACC has done this very much in the past 10 years. I looked at the ACC championship game matchups recently and I don't remember exactly, but I think they've only had like 1 game where the two participants came in with fewer than three losses combined. That's a lot of pretty average teams for a pretty long period of time. And I wouldn't think Syracuse and Pitt would help that. Maybe L'ville provided they keep Strong around.

We shall see. I just view it as a generally underwhelming football conference and a surprisingly average hoops conference. If it changes for the better -- which it certainly may -- I'd be thrilled.

interesting that USC-oregon didnt make the list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom