Top Canadian Talent | Syracusefan.com

Top Canadian Talent

I like the looks of Junior Farquhar, but considering our spotted history with parents of players...I am concerned about that mother Farquhar.
And don't even get me started about Eze Dike.

Jaelin Llewellyn is one guy on that list the staff should be looking at. I'm from Toronto and now a lot about the kid. His family is basketball royalty in the city. His dad played at Wake Forest and his uncle for St Bonaventure. His uncle was actually the better of the 2 but no one recruited Canadians in the 80's. He's more athletic than any guard we currently have and has a good feel for the game. He actually won the dunk contest at the Canadian highschool allstars game last year which included OJ Brissett. He needs some work on his jumper but can come in and give us some good minutes as a backup for a year or 2 before become a legit starting pg. I'd love to see him as a 2nd pg in our 2018 class. He's definitely a program guy but would hope we could get a top pg in 2018. I don't think he has a rating because no one rates Canadian highschool players and he just recently started playing in Virginia. He should be getting a lot of attention real soon.

Jaelin Llewellyn is one guy on that list the staff should be looking at. I'm from Toronto and now a lot about the kid. His family is basketball royalty in the city. His dad played at Wake Forest and his uncle for St Bonaventure. His uncle was actually the better of the 2 but no one recruited Canadians in the 80's. He's more athletic than any guard we currently have and has a good feel for the game. He actually won the dunk contest at the Canadian highschool allstars game last year which included OJ Brissett. He needs some work on his jumper but can come in and give us some good minutes as a backup for a year or 2 before become a legit starting pg. I'd love to see him as a 2nd pg in our 2018 class. He's definitely a program guy but would hope we could get a top pg in 2018. I don't think he has a rating because no one rates Canadian highschool players and he just recently started playing in Virginia. He should be getting a lot of attention real soon.

Terrific info -- thanks.

Interested in Jonathon Kabongo, was a big fan of his brother Myck who was at Texas.

Proximity to Toronto is another big selling point for this program longterm. Outside of MSU and UM, we're the closest P5 school to the Toronto metro area. But we also have the NY metro area 4.5 hours away. Those two things will help us remain a strong program after Boeheim hangs it up. If I was Hopkins, I'd bring in someone really plugged into the Toronto AAU scene as a recruiter.

Proximity to Toronto is another big selling point for this program longterm. Outside of MSU and UM, we're the closest P5 school to the Toronto metro area. But we also have the NY metro area 4.5 hours away. Those two things will help us remain a strong program after Boeheim hangs it up. If I was Hopkins, I'd bring in someone really plugged into the Toronto AAU scene as a recruiter.
Agreed I've never understood why SU hasn't been able to lock up more talent from Toronto. We have been producing more top tier D1 talent then most American cities recently but Tyler Ennis is the only big name recruit from the GTA we've landed until Brissett committed. Leo Rautins is huge in the Canadian scene and holds alot of weight with Canada basketball. We should be on the top of all the top GTA talents lists or at least in the picture. It's crazy considering most of these guys could drive home on weekends in the offseason. I would love to have seen someone from SU going hard after RJ Barrett a few years ago but I think that boat has sailed.

Agreed I've never understood why SU hasn't been able to lock up more talent from Toronto. We have been producing more top tier D1 talent then most American cities recently but Tyler Ennis is the only big name recruit from the GTA we've landed until Brissett committed. Leo Rautins is huge in the Canadian scene and holds alot of weight with Canada basketball. We should be on the top of all the top GTA talents lists or at least in the picture. It's crazy considering most of these guys could drive home on weekends in the offseason. I would love to have seen someone from SU going hard after RJ Barrett a few years ago but I think that boat has sailed.

Thanks for sharing. A good question for Francis and others plugged into the innards of the recruiting scene. Seems like some of those guys went to Findlay Prep which was/is out of the question for us. Rick Barnes was pulling in some of those talents I think.

This is not accurate. Syracuse is closer than either.

Distance from Toronto in miles (Google):

Syracuse 245.4
Ann Arbor 273.8
East Lansing 294.9

Thanks for sharing. A good question for Francis and others plugged into the innards of the recruiting scene. Seems like some of those guys went to Findlay Prep which was/is out of the question for us. Rick Barnes was pulling in some of those talents I think.
The guys who went to Finley, Tristen Thompson Cory Joseph Myck Kobongo etc. Those guys went there because of their ties to Ro Russell who might be the slimiest character in Toronto grassroots basketball. He started that pipeline and for the most part it doesn't exist anymore. Google the name. The guy was basically a scumbag looking out for himself and got lucky with those 3 players and a few others but ruined many in potential players in the process. I'm sure his pockets were more than taken care of when the whole GTA to Finley thing was happening

The guys who went to Finley, Tristen Thompson Cory Joseph Myck Kobongo etc. Those guys went there because of their ties to Ro Russell who might be the slimiest character in Toronto grassroots basketball. He started that pipeline and for the most part it doesn't exist anymore. Google the name. The guy was basically a scumbag looking out for himself and got lucky with those 3 players and a few others but ruined many in potential players in the process. I'm sure his pockets were more than taken care of when the whole GTA to Finley thing was happening
Ro's main connect over at Texas was their assistant Rodney Terry. Terry has been the HC over at Fresno St for the past 4-5 years. That's when Ricky Barnes Canadian pipeline went RIP.

Rumor has it that Belgium has a great recruiting base as well. Remember, Ghent, Belgium is where we targeted and successfully signed Mr. Hustle Kristof Ongenaet.

Any news about possible Belgian targets?

Rumor has it that Belgium has a great recruiting base as well. Remember, Ghent, Belgium is where we targeted and successfully signed Mr. Hustle Kristof Ongenaet.

I thought we got him because he was at an American junior college?

Interesting thing about Ongenaet -- he was recruited by Hopkins just to be a practice body -- an athletic guy who worked hard, we had a scholarship to use, he was a good student for APR purposes, etc. Nobody expected him to ever have to play much, if at all.

Ended up being a pretty good fill in once we had injuries in 08, and a guy who played his way back into the rotation in 09 and gave the team some toughness.

Although JB has generally eschewed JUCOs, would love to find a wing JUCO who could bring some of those same attributes to the team next year and provide us with quality depth at 1, 2, and / or 3.

Interesting thing about Ongenaet -- he was recruited by Hopkins just to be a practice body -- an athletic guy who worked hard, we had a scholarship to use, he was a good student for APR purposes, etc. Nobody expected him to ever have to play much, if at all.

Ended up being a pretty good fill in once we had injuries in 08, and a guy who played his way back into the rotation in 09 and gave the team some toughness.

Although JB has generally eschewed JUCOs, would love to find a wing JUCO who could bring some of those same attributes to the team next year and provide us with quality depth at 1, 2, and / or 3.

Ongenaet was the "Rudy" of Syracuse basketball.

Except for the fact that he was athletically gifted, tall, European...well outside of that ya know what I mean!

True indeed, still his greatness was created in the land known as Belgium.
Yeah, if he could be a resource to players in Europe, we should explore that. Do you remember how UConn got a couple of players from Israel in the early 90's? Those guys were good, mature and skilled players.

This was for the Howard Washington thread but it is locked...

This was for the Howard Washington thread but it is locked...
Please no Howard Washington talk on this thread. There's a reason that thread was closed he's not good enough to play for us. The coaches would have offered him already if they thought he was. Everyone please stop it's frustrating reading about the kid being our only option when he should never step on the court for anyone in the ACC. If he wants to play for SU let him walk on. There is no way we should waste a scholarship on him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom