Top ten defense next year | Syracusefan.com

Top ten defense next year

shu 49

All Conference
I really think with a few things going our way we may make top ten in d next year. What do u guys and gals think.

Ehhh, Imo D Ends will be spectacular, secondary should be rock solid, but linebackers?????? No I don't think we will have a top 10 defense but I hope to hell I am wrong.

People are allot more bullish on our dline than I am. Love our ends, I think our interior is a big question mark. People don’t realize how good Slayton was taking on two blockers all game and getting pressure up the middle. I am not sure we have that at this moment though I think McKinely could end up being pretty good.

With our style of offense, it’s very difficult to be statistically great on defense.

Our Turnovers forced and margin this year was phenomenal, you’d have to replicate that to even have a chance.

If it did ever come to fruition, we’d have one of the greatest offensive statistical seasons in the history of the game, and likely be somewhere close to the CFP.

It’s a very tough ask.

Nope. Not gonna happen.

Pace of our games makes for a lot of snaps for BOTH teams.

Since D stats are mostly “counting” stats, it only makes sense that we’re going to allow more yards, etc due to our opponents getting more snaps every game.

The positive side of more of everything is - more sacks, more ints, more fumbles.

We don’t need to shut out other teams, just make it so they can’t hold serve with our offense.
Dino & Ward are betting on our D eventually making a few of those big plays to do exactly that.

No that won’t happen, if we are even top 40 that would be great with our pace of play offensively and the question marks highlighted above

People are allot more bullish on our dline than I am. Love our ends, I think our interior is a big question mark. People don’t realize how good Slayton was taking on two blockers all game and getting pressure up the middle. I am not sure we have that at this moment though I think McKinely could end up being pretty good.
I share you’re concern about replacing Slayton (i think our whole fan base shares it)

But what helps me be a bit more confident is that we don’t need to replace Slaytons production per say... we need to replace the DT production.

Let’s say Slayton was playing a 9/10 level and Bear/Black/Ruff were playing at a 7/10 level. Well if the 3 returners get a little better (as most college players do) then we could potentially have two 8/10 level DT playing at any given time. So we didn’t replace slayton but it could look like we “replaced” him in totality.

Shy comes back and I got us being top 25 in defense. I know turnovers in general are mean reverting but with the pass rush and ball hawking secondary I think we stand a punchers chance of surpassing last years TO forced.

Last edited:
Something really really special would have to happen
This type of offense really doesn't allow for a #1 Defense, top 50 is the goal

I agree but wasn’t a to nickel of drop off when ruff went in at end of season. Plus our two nds will demand extra blockers. The other point was our backers if and when Shy gets back with Richards will have a ton of speed and downhill and frosh can come in and get some run. I just feel we are really close.

What I see is a back half that will run 6- 7 deep with Fred, trill, scoop, Cisco,mu, Foster, String, and backed up with Jonas. So actually 8 tough kids back there. I talked about our lb earlier and dline. Maybe statistically I see what ur saying about not being a top ten but when have the people to do way better than we have been. The dline holds the key to all of it. They will have to double block the end they run towards or not block at all but our ends are very good at point of mesh so I don’t see them doubling our inside guys as much cause the ends are too good. Then shy and Richards with Armstrong can chase a lot of guys down. I’m really excited for this group. Wasn’t Clemson a top ten defense last year even though they run a tempo offense although not as fast as we do. The other key I feel is the aggressiveness from ward. We need to attack offense like Clemson does. Can’t wait to see our guys crush it.

Think we have all the pieces to be a very good but not great D. IMHO I am more interested in seeing how Ward continues to evolve with his play calling than I am with the players. Saw some significant growth and adjustments Last season, hoping that process continues.

S/CB -- should be very good -- talented at both safety and CB, and plenty of depth with new players.
LB's -- depends on whether Shy returns and TR is slotted in there (far bigger need for him at LB than DE IMO). With both of those talents and the two studs coming in, I'm optimistic. Without any one of those pieces - Shy, TR AND a freshmen stepping up - LB becomes an area of uncertainty and possible weakness.
DL -- On the interior, Slayton was doubled almost every game and leaves big shoes to fill. We have capable guys returning but I don't see anyone at his level. DE's are among the best in the conference. Mixed bag here.

I really think with a few things going our way we may make top ten in d next year. What do u guys and gals think.

Not even close to top 10.

Even with all the TOs this past season, still ranked #87; 427 yards/game 5.8 yards/play.

Not even close to top 10.

Even with all the TOs this past season, still ranked #87; 427 yards/game 5.8 yards/play.
Yep but how were we after Pitt game if someone can check it out to end of season.

Yep but how were we after Pitt game if someone can check it out to end of season.

After Pitt including bowl game: 411.14 yds/game and 5.34 yds/play
That's with the UNC and NC State games that the D had 500 yard give ups

That is some heavy Orange Kool aid you're drinking here sir. If we're top 60, we're gonna win 10+ again. We don't need to be top ten and never will be under Babers. However, we could end up more efficient on both sides of the ball which is what we need if we're ever gonna actually compete for ACC and CFP titles. We have enough pieces and a favorable schedule next year. If we don't win the division next year, it might be a while before we have another chance this good. I have high expectations for next year's team, especially the offense. Can't wait for the season to start.

I wonder what percentage of power 5 teams run tempo. If it’s a lot, then the top defenses will face the same issue causing some parity

I wonder what percentage of power 5 teams run tempo. If it’s a lot, then the top defenses will face the same issue causing some parity
Kinda why I wanted to know what Clemson was at this year as a tempo team although slower than us.

So if Clemson is first in efficiency as a tempo team why can’t we be up there with tempo. Just asking cause of our tempo.

The real question is whether they can be in the top 10 for the Championship of life

LB's -- depends on whether Shy returns and TR is slotted in there (far bigger need for him at LB than DE IMO). With both of those talents and the two studs coming in, I'm optimistic. Without any one of those pieces - Shy, TR AND a freshmen stepping up - LB becomes an area of uncertainty and possible weakness.

Whether or not Shy is able to make it back, having Kpogba and Mikel Jones on campus for 8 months to get used to the system, plus the 3 guys who redshirted last year who everybody was also very high on, and two other returnees - well, between them all, I think we will get enough guys to step up, even if it is by committee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom