Tougher November/December Schedule versus Cream Puffs | Syracusefan.com

Tougher November/December Schedule versus Cream Puffs

Dave85

Living Legend
I like this year's much harder November/December schedule versus last year's cream puffs. I think this team had to start playing at a much higher level a lot sooner or die. I think the extra urgency has made this team much better than it would have been otherwise. It has forced everyone to start performing at a higher level sooner. It has forced JB to figure out the best lineups a lot earlier in the season.

A negative may be guys like Paterson, Roberson, and BJ do not get as much development playing time. Or, I am sure people would be moaning if we had 1 or 2 loses. But I think year's team will be much more prepared and ready to play at the highest level in March.

I agree with you. Be nice to get the other frosh more PT and experience if needed due to fouls, but Maui showed us that this team can play with its normal 7 or 8 guys in consecutive days with much success. Look out ACC.

I am not worried about the 8 man rotation. Hell in 2009 we had a 7 man rotation and were the best team in america (until Arinze went down).

I am not worried about the 8 man rotation. Hell in 2009 we had a 7 man rotation and were the best team in america (until Arinze went down).
Yep. It might've been nice for Riley to have had more experience but he just wasn't ready. The reality is our backup center was our starting PF and we had 7 starters. The guys #3 and #5 in minutes played came off the bench (though if Arinze had not been uinjured he woudl have played more minutes total than Scoop).

Yep. It might've been nice for Riley to have had more experience but he just wasn't ready. The reality is our backup center was our starting PF and we had 7 starters.

True about Riley. But I really do think that Roberson has enough talent to get minutes now to help us in February and March. Not sure I can say that of any of the guards (Patterson or BJ) this year.

Cheers,
Neil

Yep. It might've been nice for Riley to have had more experience but he just wasn't ready. The reality is our backup center was our starting PF and we had 7 starters. The guys #3 and #5 in minutes played came off the bench (though if Arinze had not been uinjured he woudl have played more minutes total than Scoop).
Wouldn't have mattered, Riley was terrible.

It's more fun to play name brand schools, for sure. Hopefully we can do more of this now that we're established as a Top 10 powerhouse and football is hopefully on the upswing.

True about Riley. But I really do think that Roberson has enough talent to get minutes now to help us in February and March. Not sure I can say that of any of the guards (Patterson or BJ) this year.

Cheers,
Neil

Agree about Roberson. Banking on the fact that Fair and Grant can a) play together effectively, b) adjust to new roles, and c) log about 90% of the available forward spots seems like an unnecessary gamble.

Roberson's defended well and seems to be a well-rounded player. It'd be nice to get him reps right now.

Agree about Roberson. Banking on the fact that Fair and Grant can a) play together effectively, b) adjust to new roles, and c) log about 90% of the available forward spots seems like an unnecessary gamble.

Roberson's defended well and seems to be a well-rounded player. It'd be nice to get him reps right now.

Fair and Grant have earned the playing time. Especially Fair. Roberson will have plenty of playing time next year to make his mark. If Roberson is so great he will most likely not finish all four years anyway. And waiting one extra year will only allow him extra time to improve his game so he can be higher in the draft. But from what I have seen of his game, he has work to do before entering the NBA draft.

A negative may be guys like Paterson, Roberson, and BJ do not get as much development playing time. Or, I am sure people would be moaning if we had 1 or 2 loses. But I think year's team will be much more prepared and ready to play at the highest level in March.

I like it b/c I just find it more interesting. It's like the football team playing Eastern Michigan and D-IAA state to start a season -- I get the logic but it holds my attention for roughly .4 seconds.

Hoops is obviously going to have teams that aren't at the Cuse's level in the preseason but I think it's more fun when there are some bigger names sprinkled in and when the cream puffs are at least well-coached outfits that can at least make the team work for a bit.

But I take issue with the bolded comment -- are you suggesting that some posters here get irrational after any loss? How dare you!!!;)

Fair and Grant have earned the playing time. Especially Fair. Roberson will have plenty of playing time next year to make his mark. If Roberson is so great he will most likely not finish all four years anyway. And waiting one extra year will only allow him extra time to improve his game so he can be higher in the draft. But from what I have seen of his game, he has work to do before entering the NBA draft.

Seems to me Roberson isn't getting time to develop this year because JB can't manage to choose between 2 of Rak, Keita, and DC, so we have Rak playing out of position for 8-10 minutes a game, minutes that should be going to Roberson so he is ready in Feb-March and ready to take a bigger role next year on the off chance we lose both Fair and Grant.

Maybe Roberson missing out early on was his undoing, or even if given the chance over the next 5-6 games will prove he truly isn't ready, but right now it seems way more like a numbers game at center (our weakest position) than giving Roberson a chance to play with 4 other starters.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom