toughest tourny loss from 2000 on | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

toughest tourny loss from 2000 on

Dayton for me personally. Not so much the game but started 25-0 and ended 3-9. Fair, ennis, grant all left. Started this stint of mediocrity.

I was super invested in that season. Went to Maui, drove up to cuse for multi games (from NYC). Got a flat tire on way to NC state game. That was a headache. Sad how that season ended in the first weekend.

That is a hot take. I will say though that I was all set to go to the regional in Newark the next weekend, so that was especially disappointing. But I did follow through with travel plans and drink the sorrows away in New York while watching exactly no basketball that weekend.
- Poor officiating/controversial call
- In conference, nearly rival status (just below UL) opponent
-high ceiling experience laden SU team
-round of 32

checks off a lot of grief boxes

- Poor officiating/controversial call
- In conference, nearly rival status (just below UL) opponent
-high ceiling experience laden SU team
-round of 32

checks off a lot of grief boxes

Also total screw-job on the seeding/placement:

-- In the first year of the Turner/CBS TV deal, we got stuck playing the last game of the weekend, like 9:00 on a Sunday night, when nobody had done that before.
-- Playing a conference rival before the regionals is typically not done.

Vermont doesn't rank very high for me but it does suck that Gus Johnson was going crazy and we can't enjoy that call as a neutral observer.
Enjoy Gus Johnson? I'm confused.

Also total screw-job on the seeding/placement:

-- In the first year of the Turner/CBS TV deal, we got stuck playing the last game of the weekend, like 9:00 on a Sunday night, when nobody had done that before.
-- Playing a conference rival before the regionals is typically not done.
Goes unmentioned because its been nearly 10 years, but there was definitely some good competitive bad blood between our early 2010’s teams and DJO, Crowder, Butler etc on Buzz’s Marquette. Seemed like our games were always close. Marquette was like nova jr

Vermont - that was a great team that was coming on strong and was criminally underseeded.

Butler is #2 (I know you said only one). That was such a joyous year of basketball it was heartbreaking to have it end. Once AO went down my championship dreams died, but to lose to that team with those referees who did everything they could to hand butler the game. That was awful.

1. Butler 2010
2. Michigan 2013 (still think we were robbed by bad calls at the end)
3. Ohio State 2012 (maybe the worst officiated game I've ever seen).
Man that's a lot of pain in a short period of time.

Butler and not even close for me

I totally understand this take.

I guess it was different for me, because my expectations for that great team diminished when it was clear that Arinze wasn't going to play in the NCAA tournament. I'm still pissed that they allowed a Butler player to body slam Rick Jackson without a call, and that we blew a 6 point lead with about 2 minutes to go, but that loss wasn't as painful to me as 2012 because my expectations lowered.

Last edited:
Tough call. Without AO, the Butler game was tough, but I had lost realistic hope when AO went down.

so that makes it between Vermont and Mich St for me.

Sparty was really good and it was in their backyard, a win would have been absolutely epic, but I kind felt like it was just a matter of time before we lost that game.

Vermont was just an epic choke. A game we should win and could have made a run. Felt really bad for Hak.

it’s Vermont for me.

heres your nominees!

2000 michigan st sweet 16
2001 kansas 1st round
2004 alabama sweet 16
2005 vermont 1st round
2006 texas a&m 1st round
2009 oklahoma sweet 16
2010 butler sweet 16
2011 marquette 2nd round
2012 ohio st elite 8
2013 michigan final 4
2014 dayton 2nd round
2016 north carolina final 4
2018 duke sweet 16
2019 baylor 1st round

you can only pick 1. the loss you personally took the hardest and was the hardest for you to get over. mine is butler. i freaking loved that 2010 team, and even without ao i still thought we were going to final 4.
Butler and Ohio State are both up there because our teams were just so good those years and we just had terrible luck. And we should and could have still won both. I still cannot get over the fouls in the OSU game.

i blame Vermont on me Rick. I've never seen Syracuse lose in the NCAA in person (i'm 7-0). Went to Montana St/Drexel/Georgia/Kansas/Manhattan/Ok St/Wisconsin games. I decided last second to not go to the Vermont game.

Beer on me at the Blarney (in the virtual syracuse community that is created in 10 years) Rick

damn you

Michigan. We were the only team that could beat Lville...And would have beat them.
And that charge on Triche. So hard to take a bad call in the final four.
Michigan. Agree, so many little things in that game, I remember South going up early for a putback bunny he would always make and there was a partial block, didn't make it.
I remember thinking Damn! if we can't get that little thing, it could be a tough nite.

Michigan State 2nd, cause we put together such a fine team, shame to watch them lose.

heres your nominees!

2001 kansas 1st round
2004 alabama sweet 16
2005 vermont 1st round
2006 texas a&m 1st round
2009 oklahoma sweet 16
2010 butler sweet 16
2011 marquette 2nd round
2012 ohio st elite 8
2013 michigan final 4
2014 dayton 2nd round
2018 duke sweet 16
2019 baylor 1st round

you can only pick 1. the loss you personally took the hardest and was the hardest for you to get over. mine is butler. i freaking loved that 2010 team, and even without ao i still thought we were going to final 4.
1. Arinze - Convinced we win it all with him
2. Fab Melo - Kentucky was better but you never know. Think we make it to finals.
3. Losing the second half 51-24 vs Michigan State

Sorrentine and Mopa-Jila (whatever his name was) can burn.

Crazy how many of those games we got screwed by the refs. Those are the hardest as it feels like they were stolen. Playing like crap happens and you can only blame yourself. Easier to get over those.

heres your nominees!

2001 kansas 1st round
2004 alabama sweet 16
2005 vermont 1st round
2006 texas a&m 1st round
2009 oklahoma sweet 16
2010 butler sweet 16
2011 marquette 2nd round
2012 ohio st elite 8
2013 michigan final 4
2014 dayton 2nd round
2018 duke sweet 16
2019 baylor 1st round

The better question from that list might be what hurt the least. I think in that case it is one of only three.

2019 we stunk so no big deal and we weren’t beating Gonzaga.

2016 was house money playing against a really good team.

2009 we ran into a good team and it felt like we overachieved that season overall. Gritty team.

If we had the chance to add Arkansas 95 does that change things for people. That being my frosh year at Syracuse it was very painful but i didn't have years of pain built up.

Felt like if we beat Arkansas the road to the final four was there for us.

Butler will always be #1 because we were the hunter that year.

If we had the chance to add Arkansas 95 does that change things for people. That being my frosh year at Syracuse it was very painful but i didn't have years of pain built up.

We had them -- we freaking had them.

01 Kansas was the round of 32. We beat Hawaii that year in the first round. We never had a chance in that game as we were killed inside. Probably the least upsetting tourney loss of the last 20 years if people barely remember it.

The better question from that list might be what hurt the least. I think in that case it is one of only three.

2019 we stunk so no big deal and we weren’t beating Gonzaga.

2016 was house money playing against a really good team.

2009 we ran into a good team and it felt like we overachieved that season overall. Gritty team.

2016 was so fun that by the time they got to UNC, who (if I remember correctly) owned Syracuse earlier on. House money as you said. Also, I blacked out during that game and have not watched it entirely sober

2004 alabama sweet 16
I'm actually surprised that 2004 team had as good of a year as it did considering GMac was basically the only player on the roster who could make a shot outside of 5 feet.

Butler will always be #1 because we were the hunter that year.
If we go all the way back...

1. Indiana
2. Kentucky
3. Arinze
4. Illinois
5. Iowa
6. Fab Melo
7. Michigan State
8. Richmond
9. Vermont
10. Navy

This just might be the most depressing thing I've ever posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom