Trading points? | Syracusefan.com

Trading points?

Ghost

Gentleman of the Night
I Google this topic on occasion, but maybe someone here knows as I rarely find anything on it. Is there any way to find and trade with people?

I want to ditch Hilton points for more Marriott points....is that anything anyone has experience with, or knows about?

I Google this topic on occasion, but maybe someone here knows as I rarely find anything on it. Is there any way to find and trade with people?

I want to ditch Hilton points for more Marriott points...is that anything anyone has experience with, or knows about?

Some of the loyalty programs let you pool points with family/friends. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure it would simply be some sort of arms length transaction subject to any limitations that the loyalty program might provide. I'd see if doctorofcredit has posted anything on this topic. The pointsguy, millionmilesecrets, or onemileatatime, might have something too, but they are shills for the banks.

I think lots of folks would want to ditch Hilton points. They are worth very little and don't transfer to airlines the way Marriott points do.

Last edited:
Get a Marriot Bonvoy branded credit card.

Also - you can possibly transfer your Hilton points to an airline loyalty account, and that airline might let you transfer those points to Marriott.

Honors Point Exchange

You can often transfer points from say a hotel to the airline, but the exchange rates are frequently very bad and not worth it.

Get a Marriot Bonvoy branded credit card.

Also - you can possibly transfer your Hilton points to an airline loyalty account, and that airline might let you transfer those points to Marriott.

Honors Point Exchange

I'm loaded on Marriott points, 500K, and have about 170k in Hilton points and I was hoping to turn them into Marriott somehow. They're pretty worthless in comparison with how I want to use them. Plus, I hate the Hilton website... Just wasn't sure if there was some easy way that I haven't stumbled upon. :(

I'm loaded on Marriott points, 500K, and have about 170k in Hilton points and I was hoping to turn them into Marriott somehow. They're pretty worthless in comparison with how I want to use them. Plus, I hate the Hilton website... Just wasn't sure if there was some easy way that I haven't stumbled upon. :(

Can't you just use them? 170,000 has to be worth something.

500,000! That's impressive. Are you saving them for anything specific?

I just upgraded to the Bonvoy Brilliant card. I have stays coming up at the Cairo Ritz Carlton, Aloft Syracuse and SLS Beverly Hills. Going to London for a few nights this summer and figure paying for three nights at the Edition will get me the spend I need for the bonus.

Right now I'm saving Chase and Bonvoy points for a trip to Singapore in 2021. Chase to make business class affordable. And Bonvoy for a few free nights at the St. Regis and then switch to the Marina Bay Sands so I can get the all important social media picture in the rooftop pool.

Just use them. Really, for both loyalty programs, try to book at least five consecutive nights so you get the "fifth night free." The longer you hold on to the points, ultimately, the less they are worth because these loyalty programs are always being modified to ensure they aren't losing their shirt.

I've really switched away from rewards points and am now using B of A cards that get me a minimum of $.02625 per dollar spent (and up to $.0525) just to get cash back. The travel bloggers will tell you they can do better with Chase points and Amex points but that's because they mostly travel first or business class during off peak times.

I just upgraded to the Bonvoy Brilliant card. I have stays coming up at the Cairo Ritz Carlton, Aloft Syracuse and SLS Beverly Hills. Going to London for a few nights this summer and figure paying for three nights at the Edition will get me the spend I need for the bonus.

I have a Bonvoy Brilliant card. I got it because I figured I would use the travel certificate for the Syracuse University Sheraton (which is always over $250 per night during football season) and was really disappointed that there was basically no redemption availability there this fall. I'm keeping intthough as I still used the cert at a Marriott in Hilton Head and definitely made use of the $300 credit.

Last edited:
Just use them. Really, for both loyalty programs, try to book at least five consecutive nights so you get the "fifth night free." The longer you hold on to the points, ultimately, the less they are worth because these loyalty programs are always being modified to ensure they aren't losing their shirt.

I've really switched away from rewards points and am now using B of A cards that get me a minimum of $.02625 per dollar spent (and up to $.0525) just to get cash back. The travel bloggers will tell you they can do better with Chase points and Amex points but that's because they mostly travel first or business class during off peak times.

I have a Bonvoy Brilliant card. I got it because I figured I would use the travel certificate for the Syracuse University Sheraton (which is always over $250 per night during football season) and was really disappointed that there was basically no redemption availability their this fall. I'm keeping in though as I still used the cert at a Marriott in Hilton Head and definitely made use of the $300 credit.

That's really obnoxious of hotels to withhold availability like that. I do a lot of off season travel. I love Europe in January. So I have had good luck with the few redemptions I've gotten since I'm fairly new to caring about points. Last year I got two free nights at the St. Regis in Rome. I feel like the travel credit and free night will really eliminate the annual fee and make the card worth it. Bonvoy points really wrack up quick. I only use the card at their hotels and am already up to 100,000 when I was close to zero after the Rome redemption.

Can't you just use them? 170,000 has to be worth something.

500,000! That's impressive. Are you saving them for anything specific?

Right now I'm saving Chase and Bonvoy points for a trip to Singapore in 2021. Chase to make business class affordable. And Bonvoy for a few free nights at the St. Regis and then switch to the Marina Bay Sands so I can get the all important social media picture in the rooftop pool.

I can use them, I just don't really care for Hilton as it seems like they use up more points per stay, and with Marriott I get WAY more perks and a less restrictive cancellation policy - which I like.

I save them up and use them when we go to Europe mainly. I used a lot last year at St. Ermin's in London. I think this summer we're doing Poland for a bit, and not sure on the rest of the itinerary. Probably exhaust some there and wherever else we head - although Poland I may have to research more. Sometimes the prices don't warrant the amount of points they charge in places like that.

The thing I get confused on in re: points is at what point the advice stops being all that helpful on those sites...

I'm Titanium Elite, so, pretty much I get upgraded to the best room every single time for free, all the free breakfasts/dinners/snacks/beverages at non-free-food serving hotels, etc...

Also, in a pinch, I can still book the cheapest room off any site (like Expedia) and get upgraded every time. I also get whatever the multiplier on points is for being Titanium. Do they even factor that sort of thing in on these sites? It seems to me they don't...

Those are some nice trips you have planned!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom