Train Travel to the Big Apple... | Syracusefan.com

Train Travel to the Big Apple...

I've only taken the train to NYC once, but I enjoyed it. I guess I didn't notice how cramped and dingy Penn Station was.
I've taken it a bunch of times but hanging out in the station was bottom of my list. Whether it is the Rennselaer station or Penn Station. Never a need to spend extra time there.

LIRR area was particularly grim. It was 1000+ people in a small area waiting to make a 5min dash to the track when it popped up. Truly hell.

I've taken it a bunch of times but hanging out in the station was bottom of my list. Whether it is the Rennselaer station or Penn Station. Never a need to spend extra time there.
My mother and her family grew up right near the Rennselaer station. There's nothing good about that station. Except the convenience of parking and jumping on the train to NYC. Or the few times I took it to get to Buffalo and back.

My mother and her family grew up right near the Rennselaer station. There's nothing good about that station. Except the convenience of parking and jumping on the train to NYC. Or the few times I took it to get to Buffalo and back.
It's nothing fancy but the parking is good and cheap. I love the train. Much better than driving.

they made it much nicer about 20 years or so ago.

i did the Albany to Cuse and the Albany to NYC 100s of times each.

train is a nice way to travel, i miss it.

id like to do cross country some day. great views, you can get up and walk around easily and of course...drink.

id like to do cross country some day. great views, you can get up and walk around easily and of course...drink.

Watched this with my wife on PBS last year and we decided that we are definitely going to do this trip sometime, even if we are the youngest people on the train by 30 years.

Watched this with my wife on PBS last year and we decided that we are definitely going to do this trip sometime, even if we are the youngest people on the train by 30 years.

yeah, id do that.

Based on current events, I may hop on that train and never come back. Winters in the Canadian Rockies can't be too harsh, right?

Based on current events, I may hop on that train and never come back. Winters in the Canadian Rockies can't be too harsh, right?
Snowpiercer...

1609972807284.jpeg

Used to go into Grand Central.

Used to go into Grand Central.
yeah, it was real simple to get to Yankee Stadium in the 80s, then it became a chore...then i moved there and didnt care.

once i got past feeling like a 2nd citizen not going to Grand Central, i did start to love it going to Penn for concerts, Knicks and Rangers games though.

Albany to NYC was like $30 round trip in the 80s and early 90s.

Assume they stop to stock up on that trip?

Bunch of us went from DC to NYC for a Yankee Stadium bachelor party trip a few years back. We drank their entire supply. It kinda felt like the New Year's Eve party on Trading Places, without the costumes and females. Plus it was in the morning, which in hindsight wasn't a great idea.

yeah, it was real simple to get to Yankee Stadium in the 80s, then it became a chore...then i moved there and didnt care.

once i got past feeling like a 2nd citizen not going to Grand Central, i did start to love it going to Penn for concerts, Knicks and Rangers games though.

Albany to NYC was like $30 round trip in the 80s and early 90s.
Grand Central is awesome except on a hot summer day.

I used to live in NYC and would do amtrak to Albany/Ren and then drive to syracuse with a friend for games. Enjoyable.

Anyone ever do a cross country train trip? Wife and I were thinking about it trying to do both cities and landmarks. Wasn't sure others thoughts on whether it's worth it.