Transfer Market | Syracusefan.com

Transfer Market

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
I thought it would be nice to start a couple new threads for the futbol fans out there, so we don't drive the World Cup thread into the ground.

In this one, I'd like to ask you opinions on transfer activity to date, and what you expect in the next month before the window closes.

As for me, I think Chelsea has done great business so far. Fabregas and Costa have settled nicely. I haven't seen or heard much from Drogba yet, but as a back-up he can be a game changer. Filipe Luis is having some trouble settling at left back so far, which surprises me a bit. I think Chelsea is looking at a 3 man rotation among the fullbacks - Ivanovic (who struggled in central defense against Vitesse) on the right, Luis on the left and Azpilicueta switching between the 2 spots. Good flexibility.

It seems like United is finally awakening from their slumbers and are about to do some serious business, starting with Vidal. They have to add a handful of players before the season starts, so Van Gaal better turn up the heat.

Arsenal have quietly done some very good business, and look to have substantially improved their club. Liverpool has, of course, added a load of quality squad players and are a much deeper team than last season, but the lack of European football last year aided them tremendously. They could play with a smaller squad. Brendan Rogers had more prep time for matches, and players were well rested compared to their peers.

This year United gets that benefit, and Van Gaal will likely kick their asses into the top 4, just on bravado and tactical acumen alone. I"m glad to see Spurs finally do some business, but I wonder if Daniel Levy (the cheapest owner in England) feels like he spent all his money on the new manager. They still need to add to that squad.

I look at Everton signing Lukaku as good business for both teams. Lukaku is a bit immature and wants assurances that he will be a starter. Chelsea can't promise that - you have to earn it - just like Real Madrid didn't "promise" Luka Modric that he would be a starter, and it took him a year to settle in to the team. Lukaku belongs at a club like Everton, where he is clearly "The Man" this year. Let's see what he does and if Everton can challenge for a Champions League spot.

I still feel like Chelsea will get either Cavani or Levezzi from PSG before the window closes. I absolutely DO NOT like the mooted trade of Schurrle for Atletico Madrid defender Miranda. Miranda is a fine defender, if we can't get Varane from Madrid, but I see Schurrle as the starter on the right wing, opposite Hazard this year. The only reason Jose Mourinho would get rid of Schurrle, IMO, is because Mo Salah (now that he isn't being recalled to serve in the Egyptian army for three years) is really playing well in the preseason. Between him and Willian and Oscar, I guess we're covered, but I really like Schurrle. I hope we don't get rid of him.

In case anyone is still questioning whether the World Cup's popularity would have a lasting effect on futbol viewership in the US, you can't help but have noticed the size of the crowd in Ann Arbor for United against Real Madrid on Saturday. Record crowd for the U.S. of over 109,000.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/barclays-pr...r-united-beat-real-madrid-at-michigan-stadium

And now Louis Van Gaal comes home to give 3 or 4 of his players the chop. I also understand they are making a push for 3 central defenders to beef up his options - Vermaelen, De Vrij and Hummels. Hopefully for United fans he gets at least 2 of them.

Bayern's transfer season involved the best free signing of the year in Robert Lewandowski. His arrival forced Mandzukic's sale to Atletico and I'll absolutely be rooting for him at that club. Bayern's other main loss was Toni Kroos to Real Madrid. I liked Kroos, but our midfield depth afforded us the ability to let him go when it became evident he wasn't going to re-sign for anything short of a ridiculous contract.

The other new arrivals add squad depth with quality. Juan Bernat comes over from Valencia and will play LB. This allows Pep to adjust his lineup and you could see David Alaba slot into Toni Kroos' holding midfield role to allow him to get forward more and use his pace and wicked left footed shot more. We also brought in a great backup keeper in Keylor Navas who starred for Costa Rica at the WC.

The rest of the depth comes from within as a pair of teenagers will press for time in the midfield. I'm interested to see if 18 year old Pierre Hojbjerg plays in midfield as he started the DFB Pokalfinale in the last game of last season. As an American, I'm hoping Julian Green gets some run as Pep truly does seem to love his potential. The amount of talent in the squad could give Green some freedom on the pitch. Another player to watch is Franck Ribery. He hasn't been healthy in a year and finally has regained his form in our preseason matches. He's making those incisive runs and hitting the passes that he did two years ago. Excited to see what he does this year, as he should be afforded more rest with the depth we added out wide.

I guess this turned more into a preview of my favorite team for next year than a true transfer market post, but I'll leave you with this as I finish.
image.jpg

Bayern's transfer season involved the best free signing of the year in Robert Lewandowski. His arrival forced Mandzukic's sale to Atletico and I'll absolutely be rooting for him at that club. Bayern's other main loss was Toni Kroos to Real Madrid. I liked Kroos, but our midfield depth afforded us the ability to let him go when it became evident he wasn't going to re-sign for anything short of a ridiculous contract.

View attachment 20403

I agree that Lewandowski is an excellent player, and you can't beat a free transfer. But I don't see Pep using a traditional striker that much - how much better is Lewandowski than Mandzukic, who is replacing? It almost seems like-for-like to me. (And personally I was hoping Chelsea got Mandzukic as their #2 guy behind Costa. I think he would have been great in that role.)

I don't think Julian is going to get much run in Pep's team, although I expect we'll see him in the game against the MLS all-stars on Wednesday for PR purposes.

Signing Fabregas was a genius move, and I hope that Schurrle stays put.

Really want to see Drogba have one final great year. Great addition. I really wish that Lukaku had worked out.

I have a lot of doubts about the back line, but the Blues should be at least a top 3 finisher this year unless the train goes completely off the track.

For me Chelsea and Arsenal have done the best business. I'll say the same thing I do every year, if Arsenal can stay healthy... but they never seem to be able to.

Liverpool did necessary business albeit haven't really added a sexy name. We needed to add in the midfield, defense and attack all of which we've done but it would still be nice to have an out and out game winner from day 1. I'm enjoying the bulding process and watching players progress but missing Sanchez hurt. Having him on the left with Sturridge center and Sterling right wouldve been ideal. The only other remaining name that moves the needle is Reus but its yet to seen if Dortmond entertain offers. Seems all roads in Germany lead to Bayern and if he isn't moved this summer I expect him there next when his buyout clause is on. Dortmund could make quite a bit more money on him now with Liverpool and United both interested.

Can Chelsea buy anymore this window without running foul of FFP? Seems that why City have been so quiet and I'm under the impression Chelsea would have to sell someone to buy.

United still need midfielders but seems Liverpool and Arsenal are willing and able to drive up the price on any big names they target. There is a certain amount of gamesmanship in the transfer market as well. Not only making your side better but also keeping opposition from doing so.

For me Chelsea and Arsenal have done the best business. I'll say the same thing I do every year, if Arsenal can stay healthy... but they never seem to be able to.

Liverpool did necessary business albeit haven't really added a s e xy name. We needed to add in the midfield, defense and attack all of which we've done but it would still be nice to have an out and out game winner from day 1. I'm enjoying the bulding process and watching players progress but missing Sanchez hurt. Having him on the left with Sturridge center and Sterling right wouldve been ideal. The only other remaining name that moves the needle is Reus but its yet to seen if Dortmond entertain offers. Seems all roads in Germany lead to Bayern and if he isn't moved this summer I expect him there next when his buyout clause is on. Dortmund could make quite a bit more money on him now with Liverpool and United both interested.

Can Chelsea buy anymore this window without running foul of FFP? Seems that why City have been so quiet and I'm under the impression Chelsea would have to sell someone to buy.

United still need midfielders but seems Liverpool and Arsenal are willing and able to drive up the price on any big names they target. There is a certain amount of gamesmanship in the transfer market as well. Not only making your side better but also keeping opposition from doing so.

Chelsea are doing great business - they sold Luiz for 50M, remember, and Lukaku for 28M. They got around 6M for Demba Ba and they got 37M for Mata in January. Their net spend is still very low, and they were not in trouble with FFP, unlike 72 other teams in Europe. They seem to have figured out the game of buying and stockpiling young talent to sell them on later at a large profit. They are playing arbitrage while everyone else is shopping retail.

If they buy Cavani for 40M, he would fit in financially without any repercussions.

Chelsea are doing great business - they sold Luiz for 50M, remember, and Lukaku for 28M. They got around 6M for Demba Ba and they got 37M for Mata in January. Their net spend is still very low, and they were not in trouble with FFP, unlike 72 other teams in Europe. They seem to have figured out the game of buying and stockpiling young talent to sell them on later at a large profit. They are playing arbitrage while everyone else is shopping retail.

If they buy Cavani for 40M, he would fit in financially without any repercussions.

I forgot about the Mata money. For this window you're about even 84M out vs 82M in, for January you sold Mata for 37M and brought in Matic 21M and Salah 11M. Chelsea are doing really well to get top money for outgoing players. 50M for Luiz?! Also you sold Lukaku for essentially what Costa cost you.

What did you guys do in the 2013 summer window? I think the FFP is a rolling 3 year period where you cannot report more that 50M in loses on players including wages.

I forgot about the Mata money. For this window you're about even 84M out vs 82M in, for January you sold Mata for 37M and brought in Matic 21M and Salah 11M. Chelsea are doing really well to get top money for outgoing players. 50M for Luiz?! Also you sold Lukaku for essentially what Costa cost you.

What did you guys do in the 2013 summer window? I think the FFP is a rolling 3 year period where you cannot report more that 50M in loses on players including wages.

In the first (most recent) calculation, Chelsea had net losses of less than 50M over 3 years. As I said, 72 teams (IIRC) were under scrutiny from UEFA, but Chelsea was not on the list. They also sold DeBruyne at a 100% profit in the last year, and they offloaded some major wages from Cole and Lampard, and they got Terry to take a substantial pay cut to stay. Wages are part of it, too.

In the first (most recent) calculation, Chelsea had net losses of less than 50M over 3 years. As I said, 72 teams (IIRC) were under scrutiny from UEFA, but Chelsea was not on the list. They also sold DeBruyne at a 100% profit in the last year, and they offloaded some major wages from Cole and Lampard, and they got Terry to take a substantial pay cut to stay. Wages are part of it, too.

Right, I just can't remember expenditures v new signings for any club but my own. Seems quite the task.

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has irritated Borussia Dortmund general manager Hans-Joachim Watzke with comments about Germany forward Marco Reus. Rummenigge was quoted as saying that "everybody knows (Reus) will be available next summer for 25 million euros", prompting Watzke to respond to BILD:
"Rummenigge knows full well that his behaviour is only going to further damage the already tense relationship between Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich."

I thought Reus would be a lock for Bayern next summer. When I read this as a Liverpool supporter though...
jim-carrey.jpeg

Liverpool did necessary business albeit haven't really added a s e xy name. We needed to add in the midfield, defense and attack all of which we've done but it would still be nice to have an out and out game winner from day 1. I'm enjoying the bulding process and watching players progress but missing Sanchez hurt. .

Having now caught up on all the games I missed from the tournament, I still feel that a "name" signing is necessary for Liverpool's attack. They need one more dynamic guy who is more experienced than Sterling and Coutinho. Both of them have really progressed since last season, though, no question about that. Coutinho is much more composed on the ball and has improved his body. He looks much sturdier this year.

Sterling has such confidence right now. He is very dangerous on the ball, and is very willing to make runs at defenders. He certainly looks the part of a starter on a contending squad, and I would be surprised if he doesn't manage 15 goals this year.

Emre Can is fairly big in the holding midfield, but he seemed a bit lumbering and didn't show me so much on the ball. I don't think he's your answer there. A good squad player, but I think you still need somebody who is at the level of Gerrard and Henderson.

I did like your new central defender though, Coates. Very solid player with good instincts. He's a good signing. You could still probably use one more guy there, so that would make 3 more signings if it was me running your team - a dangerous attacking player with guile and experience, another holding midfielder with more on-the-ball skills and one more central defender, and then I think you have a legitimate shot at the title.

Having now caught up on all the games I missed from the tournament, I still feel that a "name" signing is necessary for Liverpool's attack. They need one more dynamic guy who is more experienced than Sterling and Coutinho. Both of them have really progressed since last season, though, no question about that. Coutinho is much more composed on the ball and has improved his body. He looks much sturdier this year.

Sterling has such confidence right now. He is very dangerous on the ball, and is very willing to make runs at defenders. He certainly looks the part of a starter on a contending squad, and I would be surprised if he doesn't manage 15 goals this year.

Emre Can is fairly big in the holding midfield, but he seemed a bit lumbering and didn't show me so much on the ball. I don't think he's your answer there. A good squad player, but I think you still need somebody who is at the level of Gerrard and Henderson.

I did like your new central defender though, Coates. Very solid player with good instincts. He's a good signing. You could still probably use one more guy there, so that would make 3 more signings if it was me running your team - a dangerous attacking player with guile and experience, another holding midfielder with more on-the-ball skills and one more central defender, and then I think you have a legitimate shot at the title.

Would be amazing how a player like Reus would change the entire complection of our team. Coutinho is funny to me because he's tiny and fearless. Watching him dive in on challenges against much bigger players vs Man City was entertaining to say the least. One youngster that I rate to buy is Lacazette from Lyon but again, it's another youngster vs a more polished player.

To me, Lallana is that guy to go with Gerrard and Henderson. He's out injured at the moment but he's the guy I'm looking at in that role vs Can who will be more of a utility/depth guy.

Coates isn't actually a new signing. We signed him way back in 2011 and he's been used sparingly as well as sent out on loan. He's really impressed this preseason and is a monster (6'5 ish) as well as surprisingly quick and decent enough on the ball. I'd like to see us keep him as a 4th option this season. Kind of nice to see some of these younger guys pan out, but much like the SU football rebuild, it takes a bit of patience. Tiago Llori is another one to watch for in the coming years as well as Andre Wisdom.

Seems Agger is likely to be on his way out which would still leave us with Skrtel, Sahko, Lovren, Toure, and potentially Coates as CB's. Ample coverage and as Toure age's out, Llori can be pulled back in similar to how Origi can be pulled in as Lambert age's out.

The overall plan is slowly taking shape but it's still a rebuild and will take a couple years to be fully in stride.

Last edited:
Soooo Pepe Reina is finally officially gone along with his wages. I'm thinking we should be after a keeper to compete with Mignolet right?

Dominoes are about to start falling: DiMaria on the verge of a move to either PSG or United. PSG has to hurry up and sell to make it happen, while United increased their salary offer from 90K per week to 120K per week.

That means Cavani or Lavezzi have to go. United are also mentioned with Cavani, but I don't see the room with Van Persie and Rooney there. Chelsea, meanwhile, only have 1 top striker in Costa. I really want this to happen

http://www.givemesport.com/492621-edinson-cavani-to-be-flogged-to-man-united-or-chelsea?autoplay=on

Dominoes are about to start falling: DiMaria on the verge of a move to either PSG or United. PSG has to hurry up and sell to make it happen, while United increased their salary offer from 90K per week to 120K per week.

That means Cavani or Lavezzi have to go. United are also mentioned with Cavani, but I don't see the room with Van Persie and Rooney there. Chelsea, meanwhile, only have 1 top striker in Costa. I really want this to happen

http://www.givemesport.com/492621-edinson-cavani-to-be-flogged-to-man-united-or-chelsea?autoplay=on

17:53

Paris Saint-Germain have called time on their pursuit of Real Madridwinger Angel Di Maria after being priced out of a deal. PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi said: "We spoke to Real about Di Maria but he was too expensive."

If PSG says he's too expensive that price tag must be absurd.

17:53

Paris Saint-Germain have called time on their pursuit of Real Madridwinger Angel Di Maria after being priced out of a deal. PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi said: "We spoke to Real about Di Maria but he was too expensive."

If PSG says he's too expensive that price tag must be absurd.

Could be a bluff to bring down the price. Still 3 weeks left in the window.

Real has already spent for James Rodriguez and are overcrowded in the mid-field. Either DiMaria of Modric isn't going to play, and they need Modric more. DiMaria is not a classic 10.

Could be a bluff to bring down the price. Still 3 weeks left in the window.

Real has already spent for James Rodriguez and are overcrowded in the mid-field. Either DiMaria of Modric isn't going to play, and they need Modric more. DiMaria is not a classic 10.

Very true. The more I've paid attention to the transfer seasons, the more gamesmanship I see from certain clubs. I'm not familiar with foreign clubs enough to have a good feeling on who's blowing smoke or not.

Very true. The more I've paid attention to the transfer seasons, the more gamesmanship I see from certain clubs. I'm not familiar with foreign clubs enough to have a good feeling on who's blowing smoke or not.

One thing you can always count on - the daily newspaper Marca in Spain hates Jose Mourinho and plants outrageous stories to wind him up, and they are very "naughty" - gossipy rumors that you wouldn't expect in a sports page, frequently planted with a purpose in mind.

Soooo Pepe Reina is finally officially gone along with his wages. I'm thinking we should be after a keeper to compete with Mignolet right?

Reyna took his medical at Bayern (that was a surprise!). Vermaelen supposedly on his was to Barca for 15M. Mangala to City being delayed over 3rd party ownership rights. Alex Song leaving Barca for Inter on a 1 year loan with option to buy.

Latest rumor, Cech to Real Madrid as a make-weight for Rafael Varane - doubtful. Cech wants to play, not sit behind Keylor Navas. If he goes anywhere it will likely be Monaco for around 10M. I prefer to keep him and let he and Courtois fight it out for a half-season and then sell the other in January.

Last edited:
Reyna took his medical at Bayern (that was a surprise!). Vermaelen supposedly on his was to Barca for 15M. Mangala to City being delayed over 3rd party ownership rights. Alex Song leaving Barca for Inter on a 1 year loan with option to buy.

Latest rumor, Cech to Real Madrid as a make-weight for Rafael Varane - doubtful. Cech wants to play, not sit behind Keylor Navas. If he goes anywhere it will likely be Monaco for around 10M. I prefer to keep him and let he and Courtois fight it out for a half-season and then seller the other in January.

He can come to Liverpool for 10m and start if you'd let him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom