Transfer portal offers (DT/WR) | Syracusefan.com

Transfer portal offers (DT/WR)

Doctor44

2nd String
Should we not be offering every single defensive tackle in the portal who is around 300 pounds? That was killing us this year against the run. Kevon Darton played like a man, but is clearly under sized. It'll be nice to have Terry Lockett back, but we really need a reliable 3rd option here, unless they are really confident in some underclassmen putting on a lot of weight and strength.

I feel similar about WR. Gadsen and Alford made some plays, but it seems mostly that they are big targets than they could consistently get open. It would be nice to have a 6'2 - 6'3 receiver who can reliably get open running routes. Disappointing that Anthony Queely didnt develop into that guy.

Maybe the offers are under reported. My sense is that from the recruiting thread and 247 that maybe we only know by guys who are tweeting their offers, but there is a real lack there, when depth is consistently an issue

Any one have any thoughts or insight who it doesnt appear Babers is being more aggressive in the portal with DT/ WR?

Come on man. they aren’t going to offer every 300 pound DT in the portal or every WR. I’m sure they are working on it, I can find 300 pound DT’s at the d3 level if that’s all your looking for. The obsession with DT weight is a bit weird, guys need to be able to play and contribute first and foremost.

recruit athletes not weight, at receiver the same recruit kids that get open not just 40 time.

Come on man. they aren’t going to offer every 300 pound DT in the portal or every WR. I’m sure they are working on it, I can find 300 pound DT’s at the d3 level if that’s all your looking for. The obsession with DT weight is a bit weird, guys need to be able to play and contribute first and foremost.

recruit athletes not weight, at receiver the same recruit kids that get open not just 40 time.
In a 3 man front, that DT is very important for keeping the center and guard off the linebackers so they can make plays in the run game. We were getting killed the second half of the season when teams figured they could just walk for at least 5 yards a run. I'd argue that the DT is the most important position in the 335. Id really like to see a few strong guys on the roster for us to be competitive next year. You could have Zaire Franklin come back who can play and contribute, but hes not going to be able hold the line in the run game. Id be happy with one of the 400 pound guys who just doesnt move, but can keep the centers/ guard off the linebackers

WRs - yea - we need a few guys who can run nice routes and get open consistently. Shrader is really holding the ball late in the season because no one can get open

Yes we need depth at the DL positions
No, we do not need a 400lb weight to not move, it's not how this defense works at all

The lack of depth combined with the injuries along the DLine and LB corp killed us vs the run, they've offered a few nice DL kids that have entered the portal already. I fully expect the stuff to make a run at most of the DLine kids in the portal that fit the 3-3-5 and on the offense side, it appears Oline is the top priority so far.

Let's not forget Jobity, he showed some nice playmaking on a few occasions and of course let's not forget to bake in Rashard brick schithouse Perry as well (yes OG I remember that nickname is not official yet). Perry played at 268 this year. He is a workout warrior and will likely add weight.

Lockett is listed as 270 and until he went down we certainly were not getting pushed around. I just think the fascination with 300 pond DT’s is strange
Especially when it’s been explained time and time again that the d linemen have to be mobile!

Should we not be offering every single defensive tackle in the portal who is around 300 pounds? That was killing us this year against the run. Kevon Darton played like a man, but is clearly under sized. It'll be nice to have Terry Lockett back, but we really need a reliable 3rd option here, unless they are really confident in some underclassmen putting on a lot of weight and strength.

I feel similar about WR. Gadsen and Alford made some plays, but it seems mostly that they are big targets than they could consistently get open. It would be nice to have a 6'2 - 6'3 receiver who can reliably get open running routes. Disappointing that Anthony Queely didnt develop into that guy.

Maybe the offers are under reported. My sense is that from the recruiting thread and 247 that maybe we only know by guys who are tweeting their offers, but there is a real lack there, when depth is consistently an issue

Any one have any thoughts or insight who it doesnt appear Babers is being more aggressive in the portal with DT/ WR?
The portal literally just opened. How do we know how aggressive Babers or White are being?

We should set up a portal war room like this one.

0226BB0F-4D3E-4219-ACDC-C3C61DE6F302.jpeg

Last edited:
Let's not forget Jobity, he showed some nice playmaking on a few occasions and of course let's not forget to bake in Rashard brick schithouse Perry as well (yes OG I remember that nickname is not official yet). Perry played at 268 this year. He is a workout warrior and will likely add weight.
Unless everyone who has seen Perry is wrong, he is probably the best DL recruit to come here since we got Tim Green .from Liverpool.

In a 3 man front, that DT is very important for keeping the center and guard off the linebackers so they can make plays in the run game. We were getting killed the second half of the season when teams figured they could just walk for at least 5 yards a run. I'd argue that the DT is the most important position in the 335. Id really like to see a few strong guys on the roster for us to be competitive next year. You could have Zaire Franklin come back who can play and contribute, but hes not going to be able hold the line in the run game. Id be happy with one of the 400 pound guys who just doesnt move, but can keep the centers/ guard off the linebackers

WRs - yea - we need a few guys who can run nice routes and get open consistently. Shrader is really holding the ball late in the season because no one can get open
And Schrader has look for other receivers instead of just looking for O. Gadsden. He has to trust others and we have them. Hatcher a Iisc

We actually have a few in Umari Hatcher , Donovan Brown , Isaiah Jones, plus the incoming recruit. He just have to have trust in them and get them the ball.

Unless everyone who has seen Perry is wrong, he is probably the best DL recruit to come here since we got Tim Green .from Liverpool.

I think Perry is going to RS and I think he said he was 245 not 268 in an interview or I read it somewhere, try to track it down. He's going to be really good but don't think he makes immediate impact, like next year type of impact but who knows

I think Perry is going to RS and I think he said he was 245 not 268 in an interview or I read it somewhere, try to track it down. He's going to be really good but don't think he makes immediate impact, like next year type of impact but who knows
I think Buffalo Orange said he was at 268 . That is what I was going by for reference.

A story from WVIB in Buffalo said he was up to 265 from working out “at one point” and is listed at 245 now. As long as he’s not Steve Linton, it seems likely he’ll put on weight with some ease.

You don't want to offer warm bodies - you want to offer guys that can actually help and that also fit the scheme. Not every kid that enters the portal is entering because they have the ability to translate elsewhere. Some inevitably will go down a level.

I don't understand the obsession with DT weight either, strength and durability are much more important in our defensive scheme.

I don't understand the obsession with DT weight either, strength and durability are much more important in our defensive scheme.
A clear example of weight not being everything - the best OLine we've had in a long time was the 2012 unit, and none of them weighed 300 pounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom