Trill Williams | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Trill Williams

Yeah for high level guys not back of the roster fodder.

Even though he's an UDFA, do you think Trill see's himself as back of the roster fodder?

He's going to be 25 when he finishes his UFA season. At a position like DB, where key athletic traits are expected to diminish by the time you're 30, that can be a substantially bigger payday than being 26.

He's going to be fine, have a long career, and get paid.

Even though he's an UDFA, do you think Trill see's himself as back of the roster fodder?

He's going to be 25 when he finishes his UFA season. At a position like DB, where key athletic traits are expected to diminish by the time you're 30, that can be a substantially bigger payday than being 26.

He's going to be fine, have a long career, and get paid.
Staring through Orange colored glasses maybe. Back over in reality he was just passed over 259 times by GMs who's livelihood is made by trying to make their teams the very best they can be. Of course he has a chance to be fine, have a long career and get paid but to think the odds of that occurring is more probable than not is just burying your head in the sand.

Staring through Orange colored glasses maybe. Back over in reality he was just passed over 259 times by GMs who's livelihood is made by trying to make their teams the very best they can be. Of course he has a chance to be fine, have a long career and get paid but to think the odds of that occurring is more probable than not is just burying your head in the sand.

I agree with eveything you're saying. Just want to be clear, my initial post was speculating what I think motivates players to leave early even if being picked on day 1 or day 2 isn't a guarantee, not what I think will happen.

Crux of my point is I think athletes see value in getting to the pros earlier because of how it affects their career earnings potential.

Or his agent already had a preferred Ufda spot for him considering he signed like 10 mins after draft ended

Or his agent already had a preferred Ufda spot for him considering he signed like 10 mins after draft ended

Generally the best 10-15 UDFA have tons of interest. Marvin Wilson got a 30k signing bonus.

Generally the best 10-15 UDFA have tons of interest. Marvin Wilson got a 30k signing bonus.
Custis last year got 100k iirc for a bonus and he didn’t even make it though preseason iirc

Years ago SU was trying to start something for former players to come back. I got the call and wasn't interested in donating to that one. Not sure it went anywhere.
How long ago was that? I believe the idea of players being able to come back for free was first discussed on the basketball side by some people that tend to be in the know.

Yeah so the “he should have stayed comments” are always interesting. While I get why you say it, it second guesses a motive that you don’t know about. No one here knows exactly why he left. It could be any number of reasons. While unfortunate he didn’t get drafted, he will have a chance to show what he can do. Hopefully he makes it. If not, hopefully new avenues open up for him.
I think when most say someone "should have stayed" they're mostly talking about draft position. At least that's the way it is for me. I don't care to get into all of the other speculative stuff. I don't know his reasoning for leaving but I think he could've been at least where Iffy was with one full consistent season for teams to look at. If he didn't care about draft position or guaranteed money and just wanted his shot, then great. If he wanted more, the extra year could've helped his cause.

How long ago was that? I believe the idea of players being able to come back for free was first discussed on the basketball side by some people that tend to be in the know.

Poles was there and honestly cannot remember if JW was AD or not.

Disagree. He should have used the time to assess where he stood in the draft and backed out prior to the deadline. Don’t hire an agent.Then come back. I see nothing wrong with that system.

I'm in favor of anything that maximizes player options. I think they should have the option of coming back up to the point where they sign a pro contract and they should have the option of coming back to college to get their degree and playing for the college team if they had eligibility left and wanted to restart a stalled career.

I think when most say someone "should have stayed" they're mostly talking about draft position. At least that's the way it is for me. I don't care to get into all of the other speculative stuff. I don't know his reasoning for leaving but I think he could've been at least where Iffy was with one full consistent season for teams to look at. If he didn't care about draft position or guaranteed money and just wanted his shot, then great. If he wanted more, the extra year could've helped his cause.
I hear ya. I am just saying that I am sure he cares about his draft positions but his reasons for leaving could be anything. So maybe coming back was for example not an option for him. No one knows. There are multiple ways things play out. Things may not always be as binary decision wise as fans want to make them out to be. That's all.

Saints needed a cornerback with the release of Jenkins but waited till the third round to draft the kid from Stanford. There could be room at the inn for Trill. Best of luck. You can get yourself a nice amount of etouffe and sazeracs for five figures.

Yeah, it sure makes a lot more sense to go for it in basketball. If you don't make it to the NBA you can still make a great living. Not so much for football. Either you make an NFL team or head to Canada or get a likely rude introduction to the real world. Not much buffer room there. Worst case scenario for Quincy is that he spends a few years in the G league making $7500/month during the season. Worst case for Trill is a lot worse than that, especially if he didn't get his degree.

With that said, my expectation with the expanded practice squad spots still in place that a spot on the PS is his worst case scenario barring injury. They brought in 4 DBs via UDFA so he may just need to beat out Bryce Thompson of Tenn for an active or PS spot. And bringing in $142k a year on the PS for a few years is pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Yeah, it sure makes a lot more sense to go for it in basketball. If you don't make it to the NBA you can still make a great living. Not so much for football. Either you make an NFL team or head to Canada or get a likely rude introduction to the real world. Not much buffer room there. Worst case scenario for Quincy is that he spends a few years in the G league making $7500/month during the season. Worst case for Trill is a lot worse than that, especially if he didn't get his degree.

With that said, my expectation with the expanded practice squad spots still in place that a spot on the PS is his worst case scenario barring injury. They brought in 4 DBs via UDFA so he may just need to beat out Bryce Thompson of Tenn for an active or PS spot. And bringing in $142k a year on the PS for a few years is pretty, pretty, pretty good.
I think it is pretty good. I just don't think it's what guys are expecting when they leave early. If it gets him on the 53 man roster and leads to more, then it all worked out well.

I think we as fans get swayed by the big plays we remember - Trill's TD on the rip and run against Wake. Evaluators look at what the player did earlier in the drive when they were driving thru us like a hot knife thru butter. I think Trill has a shot but I truly don't remember him making a ton of plays other than the few highlight reel TD's.

I think we as fans get swayed by the big plays we remember - Trill's TD on the rip and run against Wake. Evaluators look at what the player did earlier in the drive when they were driving thru us like a hot knife thru butter. I think Trill has a shot but I truly don't remember him making a ton of plays other than the few highlight reel TD's.
Think he was rated top 3 slot corner in the p5 during 2019

Yeah, not so sure this is a good take

The reason you didn’t notice him is because he didn’t get thrown at much cause his guy was not open (must have had mostly crappy wr)

How many times do you remember him being on the business end of a long touchdown given up or big pass play in general?

I don’t remember many missed tackles either

I agree with the first part of your statement, we remember the big plays like those were all the plays. The second part I'm not so sure about. I don't think he got passed over because he did a bunch wrong. I just don't think he had enough on film for them to know for sure how consistently good he'll be. This was the only season he started at safety and what little he played, he played hurt. He's just a bit of an unknown with really good physical tools.

Damn!
A manure sandwich for Trill, SUFB and the fans.
Hope he can catch on with someone, but that was a quick cut.

Damn!
A manure sandwich for Trill, SUFB and the fans.
Hope he can catch on with someone, but that was a quick cut.
Hopefully the "failed physical designation" is just a bump in the road. His father said he had an ongoing injury. Maybe it needs more time to heal/rehab? I certainly hope it's nothing more serious...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom