Trill Williams | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Trill Williams

Phins up!

Hope he can find a place on the taxi squad or something to get his foot in the door, LEARN, and most importantly get healthy. Kid has NFL ability, just needs to latch on.

I’m confused, if he failed a physical 2-3 days ago, what changed that will allow him to pass a physical now?

Since he was an UFA, the Saints were under no obligation to sign him. They obviously LIKED him to give him an invite to their off-season program, but when he failed the physical they moved on. Sounds like they may have been trying to sign him anyway, despite the doctor's ruling -- but since they put him on waivers, other teams could claim his rights.

Miami might have the same result, when they conduct their physical examination. Or they might sign him anyway. Hope he latches on.

I’m confused, if he failed a physical 2-3 days ago, what changed that will allow him to pass a physical now?
It might be different than that. Could be cap mechanics, I think. Like, he had a certain amount of guaranteed money conditional on passing the physical. Since he didn't, it voids the contract and the guaranteed money, but the Saints might have been willing to rework the contract to include less guaranteed money and reduce their risk or something like that.

I'm kinda talking out of my butt here, but I think NFL capology allows for that kind of thing.

It might be different than that. Could be cap mechanics, I think. Like, he had a certain amount of guaranteed money conditional on passing the physical. Since he didn't, it voids the contract and the guaranteed money, but the Saints might have been willing to rework the contract to include less guaranteed money and reduce their risk or something like that.

I'm kinda talking out of my butt here, but I think NFL capology allows for that kind of thing.
I'm no expert, but when placing a player on waivers, teams are claiming that player under the terms of their current contract. So, presumably, NO was hoping he would clear and then sign him under new terms but the phins took him under his original contract.

I'm confused as to why the Saints cut him if they planned to just pick him back up again. Sure, he failed the physical, but, if you're gonna just turn around and try to get him again, keep him and give him another physcial in a week or two. The doctors should have an idea of the prognosis and whether he may pass in a week or two.

I'm no expert, but when placing a player on waivers, teams are claiming that player under the terms of their current contract. So, presumably, NO was hoping he would clear and then sign him under new terms but the phins took him under his original contract.
Interesting.

I'm confused as to why the Saints cut him if they planned to just pick him back up again. Sure, he failed the physical, but, if you're gonna just turn around and try to get him again, keep him and give him another physcial in a week or two. The doctors should have an idea of the prognosis and whether he may pass in a week or two.

Teams can sign anyone they want -- healthy or injured. Maybe the doctors and the front office weren't entirely on the same page, and him being on waivers wasn't something the front office desired to occur.

Interesting.
Just thinking this through, but OTOH, I think most of these contracts don't become "official" until the player passes a physical. So if that's the case, and his contract is void, I don't know why an undrafted player without an executed contract would be subject to the waiver process.

Just thinking this through, but OTOH, I think most of these contracts don't become "official" until the player passes a physical. So if that's the case, and his contract is void, I don't know why an undrafted player without an executed contract would be subject to the waiver process.
I know that the NFL gives "grades" on certain body parts in the physical. I wonder if that's a contingency at play here.

I know that the NFL gives "grades" on certain body parts in the physical. I wonder if that's a contingency at play here.
Really? Did not know that. Is the grade intended to scale the injury/risk potential?

Hopefully these machinations will someday be an historical footnote to a 15 year NFL career, like Johnny Unitas playing catch with Art Rooney's sons. :cool:

From an ESPN article about surprise players in each NFL minicamp.
Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 11.00.17 AM.png

Undrafted Free Agent Addition (Waivers): Trill Williams, DB, Syracuse​

After the team selected Hunter Long in the third round (Pick 18), the options were limited for late-round impact players. The team only had two picks on the third day (Coleman and Doaks), which made this exercise a bit trickier. However, it appears the Miami Dolphins may have lucked out and claimed a few impactful undrafted free agent players. The first of those notable free agents is Syracuse hybrid defensive back, Trill Williams.

Williams possesses some attractive qualities to be an effective player at the next level. Based on those abilities and his potential upside, the big defensive back should have been drafted and could be a steal long-term for this Miami squad. He’s a big cornerback with the physicality and length to challenge bigger receivers and tight ends.

He also has fluid hips, terrific short-area quickness, and solid reaction time. Williams reads receivers well in and out of their breaks and does an exceptional job jarring pass-catchers off their routes. This skillset ensures Williams a roster spot and immediate time as a slot corner or rotational third/fourth safety off the bench. After being claimed as a waiver addition from the Saints, Miami may have a solid in-house replacement for the departed Bobby McCain.

Undrafted Free Agent Addition (Waivers): Trill Williams, DB, Syracuse​

After the team selected Hunter Long in the third round (Pick 18), the options were limited for late-round impact players. The team only had two picks on the third day (Coleman and Doaks), which made this exercise a bit trickier. However, it appears the Miami Dolphins may have lucked out and claimed a few impactful undrafted free agent players. The first of those notable free agents is Syracuse hybrid defensive back, Trill Williams.

Williams possesses some attractive qualities to be an effective player at the next level. Based on those abilities and his potential upside, the big defensive back should have been drafted and could be a steal long-term for this Miami squad. He’s a big cornerback with the physicality and length to challenge bigger receivers and tight ends.

He also has fluid hips, terrific short-area quickness, and solid reaction time. Williams reads receivers well in and out of their breaks and does an exceptional job jarring pass-catchers off their routes. This skillset ensures Williams a roster spot and immediate time as a slot corner or rotational third/fourth safety off the bench. After being claimed as a waiver addition from the Saints, Miami may have a solid in-house replacement for the departed Bobby McCain.
Dope

He is a gamer. You can’t keep gamer’s off the field! He will have a long career, just like Cisco and iffy. What a great group. So sad they had to deal with an incompetent offense, they deserved to win more here.

I could see Trill taking over returner duties.

Trill may be in the right place at the right time…

The biggest domino just fell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom