Trill Williams | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Trill Williams

Very talented kid and I hope there is some guaranteed money for him. Felt the decision to jump to the league was rash but I think with his talent it will work out for him one way or the other. Selfishly I would have loved to see him back as a veteran leader in the secondary.

When guys bet on themselves and leave early, it's not just to get drafted high and have guaranteed money.

A big factor to them is hitting their UFA year as young as possible.

Look at the NBA and some guys preferring to go undrafted rather than in the second round. They hit free agency much younger.
Yeah for high level guys not back of the roster fodder.

Trill is yet another cautionary tale. Projected as a solid draft pick only to be stuck with the difficult route of trying to make a team as a free agent. There should be some alternative to players who have been led to believe the NFL wants them enough to draft them, but then leaves them hanging. An opportunity to return to school might be a solution with some caveats.
Not to mention who knows what his agent was telling him. His agent isn’t really out anything with Trill coming out early and I’m betting still gets his commission on the UFA contract

Wish he stayed for another year but the good news is Trill was able to pick where he signed

Looking forward to him earning a spot on the roster. He has more talent and ability than plenty of the names that were drafted

He's going to really need to shine in what will likely be very limited reps. Treat those opportunities like it's the 4th quarter of the superbowl.

Hope he does well.

he really cost himself guaranteed money. If he would have stayed would have excelled and been a second or third round pick. Did not have enough film and no combine.

the biggest issue is I do not think he graduated. Now if the nfl does not work out he does not have a degree to fall back on.

He can't go back to school to finish his degree?

With eligibility left, and coming off a 1-10 season with no exposure comparatively to a successful year. I mean the choice does not seem to make sense, but sometimes kids just really want to be done with the whole college thing too. Not sure but I bet he will work out because he is a baller.

Should’ve stayed too bad
This has been said earlier but IMO there should be a change in the rule regarding the NFL draft and NCAA.

If you are led to believe you are part of a need going into the draft by whatever team, sign with an agent, go through all the conditioning for your Pro Day, (Covid year so nothing happened in Indianapolis), and then the combine, then sit and wait until your name isn't called you are able to go back to your school, continue your education and improve your football prospects for the next year. No penalties for anyone.

You end up smarter and wiser, having gone through the experience, and your chances with another year playing should make you a better prospect.

There is a big gap signing as an undrafted free agent, making a practice squad and actually making the roster for the team you signed with.

The NFL isn't like the NBA. They put more weight on guys proving themselves in college more than just drafting on physical potential. Trill just didn't have enough on field production for teams to draft him despite having pro talent. Hopefully he gets a good shot and catches on. He feels like the highest potential undrafted FA we have had in a really long time, maybe ever.

Last edited:
Of course he can go back but he will have to pay. Also will not have the same support academically.
I believe it has been stated on here that schools typically don't charge former players when they go back to get their degree. I would just think, if the grind of college ball is hard to manage while going to school, it would be harder trying to lock in your spot on a pro team while taking classes, at least until you're established. At the same time, he may not be all that far away from a degree with the way all of these guys take summer classes to stay on track while keeping their schedule manageable during the season.

Think we all need to keep in mind that Trill already has had a significant injury in his career once and perhaps that played a part too.

Undrafted players with eligibility left should be able to come back to college if they want to.

I know, I know. He might’ve gotten some money from somebody who thinks he is a good player and we obviously can’t have that. College sports are stupid.
Probably but I think he just wanted to ride the Cisco train out

I believe it has been stated on here that schools typically don't charge former players when they go back to get their degree. I would just think, if the grind of college ball is hard to manage while going to school, it would be harder trying to lock in your spot on a pro team while taking classes, at least until you're established. At the same time, he may not be all that far away from a degree with the way all of these guys take summer classes to stay on track while keeping their schedule manageable during the season.
I believe this is accurate, at least for Syracuse. Also, the NCAA grades each program in each sport annually based on academic performance (APR), and graduation is an important metric. I believe they take into account players who left school early because they were good enough to go pro, but the higher the number of players graduating, the better. Also is good for the program to retain relationships with successful alums doing well in the NFL.

Years ago SU was trying to start something for former players to come back. I got the call and wasn't interested in donating to that one. Not sure it went anywhere.

He's going to really need to shine in what will likely be very limited reps. Treat those opportunities like it's the 4th quarter of the superbowl.

Always loved this meme...
61D2EEE4-1839-4847-B6F3-3059A724BD3D.jpeg

Yeah so the “he should have stayed comments” are always interesting. While I get why you say it, it second guesses a motive that you don’t know about. No one here knows exactly why he left. It could be any number of reasons. While unfortunate he didn’t get drafted, he will have a chance to show what he can do. Hopefully he makes it. If not, hopefully new avenues open up for him.

I think Trill’s about to draw eyes taking advantage of this summers hottest QB camp battle. A lot of opportunity for big plays.

Syracuse has been locked in with providing assistance for former players to finish their degrees; I bear witness to this from my tenure as a university employee who worked with numerous athletes involved in this process. If Trill works with the highly competent staff of academic support and his home college this can happen, in time, for him!
CF1CEF01-E033-4C38-BC1E-B204325DB2ED.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom