Trip Report: Maryland Tailgate | Syracusefan.com

Trip Report: Maryland Tailgate

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
We lucked into a great spot for a tailgate. We had shade, grassy strips of land and indoor bathrooms. We parked (Lot L and C1) on the north side of Reckord Armory. Luckily the stairs leading the basement were unlocked and it allowed us to use the ROTC bathrooms.

I'd guesstimate 2-300 Cuse fans in the vicinity. Our tailgate had easily 100+.

I want to give thanks to John JSOrange97
and family for stepping forward and buying the foodstuffs and doing the pork rolls. Also for Cliff weedsportwarriors for carrying down the Fine Mess Grill and helping with the grilling.

We had a great selection of craft beer from Dogfish Brewery from JoeSU and other varieties from Dave and Brien. Finally thanks to those that helped bring Coney's, sausage chips, drinks... Domedog84 SUbear jccuse Cusefan95 bigmike

Finally a big shout out to care taker and Lexy for bringing items to the tailgate and introducing us to many new friends.

Noon kickoffs are tough. Just when you get started and things are going well you are already shutting it down. All had fun though. The next road trip tailgate will be at FSU.

My dad and I took a wrong turn and made it just in time to grab two of the last snappy grillers and a bottle of water and say hi to a handful of folks. Didn't get to say hello to you unfortunately, but it looked like everyone had a great time before the game.

Walked over post game to say hi but it looked like a ghost town, understandably.

Was on the other side of the building, great scouting report on the location.

Walked over post game to say hi but it looked like a ghost town, understandably.

Did your group find out about the bathrooms? I was worried when I first set up but DNabb found it early.

Post game? I was stuck sitting in traffic but then

I was driving back to NY

Oh hey, Consigliere our PA yesterday was great. JSOrange97 can probably tell you more about it.

Talked to JSOrange97 about it yesterday. He is sending me an Amazon link and we'll put it on our wish list. Took in over $1000 yesterday with our record setting 50 - 50. If that's any indication that $20k tailgate trailer may be in my sights!

How were the Maryland fans?
For the most part, I didn't hear much feedback. They were probably as stunned as we were.
At hlaftime we moved down a level to get out of the blazing sun (thanks for the suggestion, Mark!), and there were a couple 20-something guys behind who were talking smack, fueled by alcohol and testosterone, but thankfully they left early.

Last edited:
We drove the wrong way in US 1 for about 15 minutes before our small convoy got turned around. Then we went to the wrong tailgate (stopped at that first one in lot L), unloaded, reloaded, and finally got over to the right place hahaha. We had a great time and our friends (first timers) really enjoyed themselves! Can’t wait to see everyone again on Saturday!

Finally a big shout out to care taker and Lexy for bringing items to the tailgate and introducing us to many new friends.

And we have a solid commitment that our Jersey contingent of the Fine Mess Tailgate is growing by at least 2 this year. See you Saturday, care taker . Better days ahead!

For the most part, I didn't hear much feedback. They were probably as stunned as we were.
At hlaftime we moved down a level to get out of the blazing sun (thanks for the suggestion, Mark!), and there were a couple 20-something guys who talking smack, fueled by alcohol and testosterone, but thankfully they left early.
I couldn't like this post enough, getting out of the sun was HUGE (Thanks Mark!!!). My two little ones would have never made it under that sun.

The ones around us behind the Maryland bench were super cool. Two young guys in front of us talked a lot of trash but my dad is really good at playing along and diffusing that and we ended up having a good time with them. Other fans around us talked about how they weren't sure how to feel about what they're seeing and are kind of in shock. Definitely got the sense they've gotten used to losing and are cautiously optimistic that things can turn around - probably feels similar to us. Felt like we had their respect, I'm sure people were being nice and didn't want to pile on but they were very complimentary of our team and voiced that they thought we were good and just had everything go wrong.

Talked to a long time fan on the way out. He was very cordial and clearly surprised by the Terp's performance. Told him we were disappointed but expect these speed bumps with an emerging program and let him know we would be BIG UMD fans in two weeks when the Terps host Penn State. His response "We won;t have a prayer in that one!" Guess they have a way to go before they learn what winning should feel like!

A Brief summary on my experience, first Great Tailgate I had my two daughters with me for their first ever away game (obviously they are bad luck and wont be going again lol) the food was fantastic. After the tailgate we went to the bookstore got harassed by some Maryland Students about how we were in for a long day. Normally I like the banter and never get offended but swearing in front of two little kids on more then one occasion got old quick. They hear that enough from me during the game(kidding). But Alas, apparently they knew something I didn't. Bought some T shirts for my son who couldn't make the trip, got some great advice to move seats from Mark into the shade and left T shirts in section 304 SMH another souvenir for some lucky fan. The game we all saw , it looked like we were completely out classed and out hustled. Lastly I never used the APP before but WAZE was a life saver, It maneuvered me around campus to leave the game with no traffic jams at all, made great time and was back home in my man cave for second half of LSU game. As I am a gluten for punishment I will be back in Section 115 for Saturday night praying we do not get blown out on National TV twice in a row.

We had a great time at the tailgate and so did our friends that we've converted to Cuse fans.
Great spot and the kids had a fun time throwing around the football and running all over the place.
Thanks to everyone that was cooking and doing behind the senses stuff, just having a small glimpse into the operation (bringing soda and water) it's impressive how well it all works and how organized TexanMark is.
It was nice meeting some new folks and old, we can't wait to see more folks again at the Clemson game!
Also thanks to the two guys that took the time out to throw with our friends son and ask him about him playing football, he really enjoyed it.

Every body was fine except for a couple of young jerkballs trying to egg me on on the walk back to the car. "What do you think of Boeheim?" "So, you like the Zone?" I told them that their new coach hadn't killed anybody, which was good.

Other wise everybody was fine

Last edited:
Did your group find out about the bathrooms? I was worried when I first set up but DNabb found it early.

I was there with three kids, believe me found it right away.

I'll leave this here since it's the fan game attend thread - the behavior of some of our "fans" when the team left the field for halftime was disgraceful. I was in section 2, the booing and vulgarity directed at our team - and some of the knuckleheads that double down on their loutishness, seriously stay home. Not one of them has the nerve to direct it to a player of their parents who were throughout the area.

Proud Mom Moment: my kids have never been REALLY into football. This past week, I’ve been teaching my middle kiddo some players on the ride to school (at the rate she’s going she’ll know this years team by the time she’s 50) but she learned Devito. She’s so thrilled, and she been following me around going”Mom, mom. Tommy Devito is our quarterback” nonstop. Well, the pic I’m including is her pointing Tommy out to her BFF at the game (and apparently accidentally flipping the bird... whoops)

My son, again, is usually just along for the ride. Yesterday he was distraught at the game “I hate this game! I’m not going to be able to flip the banner tonight!!!” We talked about being a good sport but I loved seeing him getting into it.
A44B87C0-5935-45DF-819E-4938EE980780.jpeg

I'll leave this here since it's the fan game attend thread - the behavior of some of our "fans" when the team left the field for halftime was disgraceful. I was in section 2, the booing and vulgarity directed at our team - and some of the knuckleheads that double down on their loutishness, seriously stay home. Not one of them has the nerve to direct it to a player of their parents who were throughout the area.
This is what I'm worried about in the dome. Us 30,000 die hard nincompoops generally just stay quiet when things aren't going our way or we're sucking. Both of those things are goings on happen Saturday and the 10-15,000 bandwagoners are gonna be booing their heads off.

Just when Dino, et. al. start seeing the fruits of their labors theyre gonna be turned off by the rabble rousers and wretched refuse of band wagon fans who just can't handle things not going their way for a minute. Man it's gonna be ugly as anyone doing it in our section I don't recognize as a regular I'll inevitably say something and part of the reason I'm not overly excited to be sitting in the dome for this one.

As much as I couldn't stop shaking my giant head when they just let the halftime clock run out while looking like they were trying to something, yeah, SU fans turned ugly in a hurry yesterday.

My crowning achievement was sitting low enough to scream at the Field Judge for not calling PI on that 2nd drive, yelling no one was in the area, and him hearing me. He knew I was right. Probably doesn't change anything, but if their 2nd drive ends with a long FG attempt instead of a TD, it would have stretched the pain out some, maybe gave us even a little confidence.

For those that went to this game, all I can envision is Flounder from Animal House when they destroyed his brothers car. "My advice to you is to start drinking heavily"...Bluto

Proud Mom Moment: my kids have never been REALLY into football. This past week, I’ve been teaching my middle kiddo some players on the ride to school (at the rate she’s going she’ll know this years team by the time she’s 50) but she learned Devito. She’s so thrilled, and she been following me around going”Mom, mom. Tommy Devito is our quarterback” nonstop. Well, the pic I’m including is her pointing Tommy out to her BFF at the game (and apparently accidentally flipping the bird... whoops)

My son, again, is usually just along for the ride. Yesterday he was distraught at the game “I hate this game! I’m not going to be able to flip the banner tonight!!!” We talked about being a good sport but I loved seeing him getting into it. View attachment 169643
Syracuse.com had a picture of you