Trip Reports | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Trip Reports

Here's a quick report on Aruba (just got back early early this morning):
  • We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Resort.
  • Its pretty much is as everyone says.
  • Convection oven like weather, which I like (though it did briefly rain twice).
  • Did an Island Jeep tour (ABC), some snorkling (Mango Halto, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach), a sunset cruise (Jolly Pirates), offshore fishing (Driftwood), and a visit to the Butterfly Farm.
  • Everything was pricey, but we mostly stayed in the Palm Beach area, which is a tourist mecca.
  • Didn't have a bad meal.
  • I was surprised by how clean things were.
  • I can't recall an Aruban who wasnt genuinely friendly. Many of the locals seemed as curious about us as we were of them. My older boy is very sweet and my younger is very little and has a precious vibe. Adults tend to like to interact with us i think partially for that reason.
  • Loved how everything was fully staffed and that staff was attentive and worked hard at getting things right. It's a marked contrast between hotels and restaurants in the States.
  • I suppose the "One Happy Island" slogan works, but I don't think it perfectly fits. There is a real lack of pretentiousness (Instagrama and Tiktok models not withstanding) and a sincere appreciation for finding joy. I really liked that.
  • We will return, but I doubt before my eldest finishes high school (he is a rising 7th grader).

Never been to Vienna or Berlin before so decided to check the box and go see what's up.

I kinda felt like I would love Berlin, but be lukewarm on Vienna.

Opposite.

Anyway, overall:

Bratislava was cool af, but on the small side. 1 or 2 day place max.
Hamburg was cool and walkable, pretty chill.
Nuremberg cool, and you can do some fun side journeys to Rothenberg, Bamberg. All are pretty nice.
Prague, well, been a lot, everyone has, always cool.
Salzburg was pretty dope, but small like Bratislava. Plenty to see though, and great walkable city. That Hallstatt place that's IG famous is pretty freaking adorable tbh and also easily accessible with a rental car.

Munich was good - great walkable city, transport super easy to pick up fast, food sucks as German food sucks - tooooo heavy. Random people seemed super friendly which is a nice vibe. Did a quick trip down South to the Disney castle (I can say the name, not gonna try to spell it)/Bavarian Alps, gorgeous. Should have spent more time down there. Oh wellz.

Germany had been doing this $9 "All You Can Ride" train deal - which seems utterly insane. Perhaps the greatest deal I've ever stumbled upon. :) It ended at the end of August, but they may try to bring it back in some form by taxing cars. Very interesting and worth reading a bit on if you care about, or find such things, at all interesting. Car usage went down dramatically over the 3 months, etc...

Vienna was tremendous. Loved it.
Berlin is so so. I liked it, but maybe my least favorite city in Europe I've spent time in. Night life is good, but it feels sort of oddly American in some ways. Like a sucky NYC, but with Germans everywhere. Also, traveling with some friends, city felt a bit...like racist or something. I can't quite explain how. Maybe that colored my perception a bit....People were odd. I don't know. My friend picked up on it too - and I trust him and I thought the same, as did my GF. YMMV.

**Note - Sometimes I'll refer to a place as a 1 or 2 day at most, but in some you could do more if time isn't of the essence at all.

Last edited:
Oh, went to France earlier this year too:

Paris is Paris. Great time.
Lyon - I really liked it a lot. Food was as good as advertised. No complaints. Scenice enough, seemed like a lot of young people - vibrant, pretty cool imo.
Annecy - Cute. If you want a day trip or something, it's worth a day.

Did the Brittany Coast from Rouen to Vannes to Nantes and back to Paris again - would highly recommend. The coastline is great, beautiful throughout. You can stay at some amazing spots for what I would consider cheap. I don't know, couldn't recommend doing that road trip highly enough.

Last edited:
I hope to get to a safari one day. My B-in-L will be hiking Kilamonjaro later this year.
my wife and I, and our best friends, are on our way to JFK to fly to Rome. We will spend a week in Italy, culminating with 2 nights at an AifrBnB in Lake Como, then to Paris for a week. Looking forward to the sites, if not the heat.
Updates -
Rome 4 days
Florence 3 days
Lake Como 2 days
Paris 5 days

We sprang for guided tours of some kind almost every day, except Como, which was just a relax and chill break.

Attachments

• 5BEE1C6A-63B0-47EF-99A0-8CF417B32752.jpeg
    5BEE1C6A-63B0-47EF-99A0-8CF417B32752.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 86
  • B2905B73-C2FB-43A3-A5D6-12F3EFD4E109.jpeg
    B2905B73-C2FB-43A3-A5D6-12F3EFD4E109.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 86
  • D8FC4C62-F40A-4DA9-8F87-9CDD61E9E7ED.jpeg
    D8FC4C62-F40A-4DA9-8F87-9CDD61E9E7ED.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 653AED76-8E33-4604-A502-74A528C9ACFA.jpeg
    653AED76-8E33-4604-A502-74A528C9ACFA.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 83
Updates -
Rome 4 days
Florence 3 days
Lake Como 2 days
Paris 5 days

We sprang for guided tours of some kind almost every day, except Como, which was just a relax and chill break.

Dang! That first pic is nice (all the pics are nice, but that first pic is NICE!) :)

Time to revive this thread!

Trip this year was to Banff & Jasper national parks in the Canadian Rockies. We went 6-7 years ago, but didn’t stay in the parks themselves, and thus we were not able to see as much of the park as I wanted. This time we camped in the parks themselves.

We drove our camper van from upstate all the way there, about 36 hours worth of driving time. Which is a lot. However, its absolutely worth it, it is among the most beautiful places I’ve ever been. Unfortunately, everyone else knows that too, and that’s lead to some compromises in the more popular areas.

First, we camped in the Lake Louise soft-sided camping area. This is surrounded by an electric fence to keep the bears out, which is nice. It has decent bathrooms, warm showers and free firewood! Lake Louise itself is an absolutely stunning glacial lake. It’s the most popular place in the park. We rolled into the parking lot at the lake at 7:15-7:30 AM and got one of the last 3 spots. They do have shuttles set up, so if you’re going long after sunup, just plan on the shuttle. First day there we hiked to the Lake Agnes Teahouse -> big Beehive -> plain of 6 glaciers teahouse. We grabbed some tea a the Plain of 6 glaciers before our return hike then we grabbed a couple beers in the bar at the Chateau Lake Louise. The parking lot had thinned out by the late afternoon. The area around the Chateau is a shite show, pretty much always. The hikes in the area are popular, but they thin out pretty quick.
Lake Louise looking away from the Chateau:
LakeLouise.jpg

Lake Agnes Tea House:
LakeAgnesTeahouse.jpg

View from the Bar at the Chateau (I've had worse views):
IMG_1912.jpg

Second Day we went to Lake Moraine. They no longer allow private vehicles to drive up there, it is shuttle only due to the popularity. You must purchase tickets in advance. I booked a sunrise shuttle with a private company, Moraine Lake Bus Company that left at 5AM. We had tea and breakfast on the beach of the lake while we watched the sun come up. There were perhaps 20-30 other people who came on the same shuttles, which is a secluded as this place will ever be. I heard the 7am shuttles weren’t too bad yet. Sunrise was a bit disappointing due to clouds, but what can you do? We did a hike up to the larch valley (not gold yet) and up to Sentinel Pass. A really great hike with great views. Came down and spent a little time at the lake before the rain came in. You can see why the canucks put it on their money.

Tea waiting for sunrise and Moraine before the masses:
vronMorrain2.jpg

Meh sunrise, but I'll live:
IMG_1913.jpg

For instagram:
IMG_1918.jpg

Sentinel Pass:
sentinelpass.jpg

After our time at Moraine, that’s when the badness happened. Our dog, Otto, suffered some seizures and lost the use of his back legs. I drove my wife out to Calgary and she flew home to be with him in his final day. RIP to a great one.

I returned the next day to rejoin my brother and we went over to Yoho National park to do a few short hikes: Laughing falls and Takakkaw Falls and subsequently emerald lake. The next day we moved up to Jasper national park, stopping to hike on the Athabasca glacier, which was really cool. The drive North out of Banff and into Jasper is called the “icefields parkway” and is widely considered one of the most beautiful drives in the world. It truly deserves the moniker. The drive alone and what can be seen just from roadside stops justifies a trip to Banff even if you don’t want to walk more than ¼ mile from your car. There is truly too much to even bother writing it all down. Just go.

We camped at the Wabasso campground which is right on the Athabasca river. Unfortunate amount of beetle kill there recently, but some sections of the campground were still great. Campground had good bathrooms, no showers, however, so just took a bath in the river, which is as cold as you would expect glacial runoff to be. Hikes from there included taking the Jasper SkyTram up The Whistlers and then hiked out to Indian Ridge (not for amateurs - scary loose scree on final ascent). Next day we did Bald Hills near Maligne lake. Weather turned on us that morning, temps were low 30’s in the AM, getting into the 50’s in the evening with off and on rain and remained that way until the last day of our trip. Maligne lake was beautiful even in cruddy weather and you could do several days hiking this area by itself.

After a few days at Wabasso, we moved back into the Northern portion of Banff and stayed at Rampart Creek, which was more rustic campground with traditional drop toilets and no other facilities. Around this area we hiked Wilcox Pass in the sleet, abandoning an attempt for the summit due to wind and weather, but a beautiful alpine valley none the less. The next day we hiked down by Peyto lake, an incredible roadside glacial lake, and followed its water source as far as we could toward Peyto glacier.

We stopped in the town of Banff on our way out with a quick hike up Tunnel Mountain. The town of Banff itself has become a little silly and is mostly “sold out.” The main street is souvenir shops, high end outdoors clothing retailers and chains. There is a Chili’s on Banff Ave. Seriously?

In all, a beautiful place. Unfortunately, my wife missed much of it, so I’ll be delighted to come back. Looking at the thin silver lining to her having to fly back, my brother in I did much tougher hikes in crappier whether and then drank a ton more Molson than we otherwise would have.

Emerald Lake:
emeraldlake.jpg

Indian Pass:
indiancrest.jpg

Wilcox Pass:
IMG_2055.jpg

Wilcox Pass looking toward Columbia Icefields, some bighorn in the foreground:
IMG_2062.jpg

Just got back from the Big Island. We packed in more than usual on this one. In one day we drove down one of the steepest paved and winding roads known anywhere in the US, to sea level, to the black sand beach in Waipio Valley (the valley of the kings). Then later that day drove up to the peak of Mauna Kea to watch the sunset at 13,800'.

Both of these are monitored and mandatory 4 wheel drive. You cannot access Waipio valley on your own at all (walking or driving) unless you're a local and also have 4 wheel drive. If not you can buy a ticket for a ride on a tour van. There's a water crossing at the bottom as well. The movie Waterworld was filmed here, not sure how much or anything. Shout out to my uncles LandCruiser that did all the work that day with 8 of us in it.

On the sunset photo, notice how low the clouds are beneath the mountain tops. It was around 36-38 degrees up there. Rangers check to make sure you not only have 4wheel drive, but demonstrate your 4 LOW works. On the way down at the first parking lot they measure the heat of your brakes. My cousin is one of the rangers and said the highest temp he's seen is 600 degrees. I'm thinking that must've been like the scene in Ford vs Ferrari. Ours was 100, barely touched the brakes on the way down. The lowest recorded is 80 degrees, my uncle said he's headed back to break that low record. Have to also state the obligatory, these photos don't do any of it justice.

20240219_112959 2.jpeg
IMG_5671.jpeg
IMG_5727.jpeg

Just got back from the Big Island. We packed in more than usual on this one. In one day we drove down one of the steepest paved and winding roads known anywhere in the US, to sea level, to the black sand beach in Waipio Valley (the valley of the kings). Then later that day drove up to the peak of Mauna Kea to watch the sunset at 13,800'.

Both of these are monitored and mandatory 4 wheel drive. You cannot access Waipio valley on your own at all (walking or driving) unless you're a local and also have 4 wheel drive. If not you can buy a ticket for a ride on a tour van. There's a water crossing at the bottom as well. The movie Waterworld was filmed here, not sure how much or anything. Shout out to my uncles LandCruiser that did all the work that day with 8 of us in it.

On the sunset photo, notice how low the clouds are beneath the mountain tops. It was around 36-38 degrees up there. Rangers check to make sure you not only have 4wheel drive, but demonstrate your 4 LOW works. On the way down at the first parking lot they measure the heat of your brakes. My cousin is one of the rangers and said the highest temp he's seen is 600 degrees. I'm thinking that must've been like the scene in Ford vs Ferrari. Ours was 100, barely touched the brakes on the way down. The lowest recorded is 80 degrees, my uncle said he's headed back to break that low record. Have to also state the obligatory, these photos don't do any of it justice.

View attachment 238262View attachment 238258
View attachment 238264
Friends of ours were there this weekend for their only daughter’s wedding. We got the invite to their ‘celebration’ party in Richmond VT in July…..

Friends of ours were there this weekend for their only daughter’s wedding. We got the invite to their ‘celebration’ party in Richmond VT in July…..
Oh wow same time then. We did see one wedding on a beach on the Kona side. We all actually watched a good bit of it as we were there watching my nephews snorkel anyways

Oh wow same time then. We did see one wedding on a beach on the Kona side. We all actually watched a good bit of it as we were there watching my nephews snorkel anyways
These are our rich friends. It was at the Four seasons in Kona

View attachment 238262View attachment 238258
View attachment 238264
what a cool sunset

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors