Trip Reports

chugg21

Gritty, High IQ, Scrappy, Gym Rat, Lunch Pail Guy
Every word spot on. Although I'd take Waikiki over Cancun every time, I hope never to go to Cancun again.

I really wouldn't go back to Oahu, but here we are headed there next week, for the better half's job. At least we got one week there, and one week in Kona to even it out.
Only good use for Cancun is the airport. I'm fond of Cozumel or Tulum though they are pretty Americanized. I miss living on the west coast and being able to take a 2 hr flight to Cabo and then a 2 hr drive to La Paz. Now that is as good as Mexico gets.

chugg21

Gritty, High IQ, Scrappy, Gym Rat, Lunch Pail Guy
Have you been to Waimanalo Bay? Not Waimanalo Beach (seems like there's a hobo camp there now). The Bay park is gorgeous. It's a random turn into the woods in between the regular beach park and Bellow's Air Force Base, right across from the polo field. One of the best kept secrets on the island imho. If you really want to get away from the crowds go to Mokuleia Army Beach on the North Shore. I spent a day there and there were only about 10 people and a sea turtle on the beach with me. It's the beach they used for the first season of LOST. Another 1/4 mile down the road is a YMCA camp that will be immediately familiar to LOST fans.
Had an airbnb on North Shore that was incredible. Could walk out to the beach from the backyard. Drive over to Mikes Huli-Huli chicken. Only problrm was finding a decent place to watch the Broncos-Panthers super bowl.

ssbriefcase

All American
Have you been to Waimanalo Bay? Not Waimanalo Beach (seems like there's a hobo camp there now). The Bay park is gorgeous. It's a random turn into the woods in between the regular beach park and Bellow's Air Force Base, right across from the polo field. One of the best kept secrets on the island imho. If you really want to get away from the crowds go to Mokuleia Army Beach on the North Shore. I spent a day there and there were only about 10 people and a sea turtle on the beach with me. It's the beach they used for the first season of LOST. Another 1/4 mile down the road is a YMCA camp that will be immediately familiar to LOST fans.
I don't think so? Then again, I went to a ton of beaches I don't remember the name of, mostly north shore ones, which are great don't get me wrong. I'll refer back to this thread, if I do it. Thanks.

Shrmdougluvr

I pity the poor fool who don't eat my cereal
Spent the long weekend in Ogunquit, Maine, where I take my family at least once a year. Collectively, I'd say it's our favorite place. Given the season, it's not a traditional beach weekend per se. Not a ton to report, but we absolutely love the area. This time of year I'd say about half the visitors are octogenarians and Quebeciens. A few quick points:
  • The drive out Friday late afternoon/evening is the worst that I can recall. We were pretty much bumper to bumper if not stop-and-go beginning around Springfield almost the entire way to the Maine boarder (though we actually kinda sailed through Worcester which was odd). When we were in San Diego, we noticed (had to I suppose) the mini-traffic signals for letting vehicles onto the highways. They need something like that on the Mass Pike and that Lowell corridor. Too many onramps dumping too many cars onto the highway constantly backing things up;
  • Ogunquit was lovely as always. When we go during the shoulder season, we usually stay at the Sparhawk. While the rooms are dated, the landscaping is Disney-quality. Big hit with Mrs. Shrmdougluvr;
  • Town is stepping up efforts to maintain the Marginal Way. Its notable and the walk remains breathtaking. With my boys now 8 and 5, i felt comfortable taking them out to explore the rocky outcrops;
  • Did a Lobster cruise from Perkins Cove. It's a keepah. Usually try to get out on boat at least once during the long weekend. This cruise is always a hit with the kids and i find the tour guides/captain to be extremely knowledgeable and interesting (not surprisingly). On this trip i learned that Lobsters have some genetic trait that keeps their cells from aging the way pretty much every other living organisms cells do. Essentially they never "age"; and
  • Can always get a good meal at the Steakhouse in Wells, if you're willing to wait 80-120 minutes (yeah kindles).
Anyway, I highly recommend to anyone living in New England, or Mid-Atlantic area. Feel free to message me if you want more specific insights.

Edit- Big miss on my part:
  • After like 15 trips in 13 years (I've lost count), we finally made it into Congdon's Donuts in Wells. Holy cow! Really higher-level stuff. Totally lived up to the hype (like Cafe Du Monde).

Last edited:

orange79

Internet Sleuth
Staff member
Spent the long weekend in Ogunquit, Maine, where I take my family at least once a year. Collectively, I'd say it's our favorite place. Given the season, it's not a traditional beach weekend per se. Not a ton to report, but we absolutely love the area. This time of year I'd say about half the visitors are octogenarians and Quebeciens. A few quick points:
  • The drive out Friday late afternoon/evening is the worst that I can recall. We were pretty much bumper to bumper if not stop-and-go beginning around Springfield almost the entire way to the Maine boarder (though we actually kinda sailed through Worcester which was odd). When we were in San Diego, we noticed (had to I suppose) the mini-traffic signals for letting vehicles onto the highways. They need something like that on the Mass Pike and that Lowell corridor. Too many onramps dumping too many cars onto the highway constantly backing things up;
  • Ogunquit was lovely as always. When we go during the shoulder season, we usually stay at the Sparhawk. While the rooms are dated, the landscaping is Disney-quality. Big hit with Mrs. Shrmdougluvr;
  • Town is stepping up efforts to maintain the Marginal Way. Its notable and the walk remains breathtaking. With my boys now 8 and 5, i felt comfortable taking them out to explore the rocky outcrops;
  • Did a Lobster cruise from Perkins Cove. It's a keepah. Usually try to get out on boat at least once during the long weekend. This cruise is always a hit with the kids and i find the tour guides/captain to be extremely knowledgeable and interesting (not surprisingly). On this trip i learned that Lobsters have some genetic trait that keeps their cells from aging the way pretty much every other living organisms cells do. Essentially they never "age"; and
  • Can always get a good meal at the Steakhouse in Wells, if you're willing to wait 80-120 minutes (yeah kindles).
Anyway, I highly recommend to anyone living in New England, or Mid-Atlantic area. Feel free to message me if you want more specific insights.
Did you hit Barnacle Billy's for a rum punch? That Place is good, too.

Shrmdougluvr

Did you hit Barnacle Billy's for a rum punch? That Place is good, too.
Nope. We go to Jackie's Too for lunch while in Perkins Cove. Honestly, i don't think we've been to Barnacle Billy's for like 7-8 years. We kinda settled on Jackie's as our favorite down there, so we just usually go there. My wife would probably enjoy that rum punch though, so maybe a stop on our next trip is in order.

CuseFaninVT

Living Legend
Quick one for me today. Went to Lake Placid this weekend to celebrate my parent's 50th anniversary and 70th birthdays. Rented a house in town sufficient to house them, myself and family and the families of my 3 other siblings. Nice place, called Claus Lodge if you search for it on VRBO or HomeAway.

Went over early on Friday to catch a mountain bike ride with my next oldest brother. He got some recommendations from a local bike shop and we hit the trails up near Whiteface in Wilmington. The Hardy Road Trailhead. Ante Up, All In, Double Time and Good Luck. The last one was pretty awesome and much more technical than I expected.

Most of our meals were cooked by family members in the house, and they were all good. Plenty of good Vermont beers and non-VT wine fueled our campfire until well into the wee hours. Saturday we took the gondola to the top of Whiteface and then did some sight seeing in Lake Placid. Sunday was pretty cool. My sister works for one of the main sponsors for ORDA and arranged a private showing of the Miracle on Ice hockey rink including the locker room where we surprised the folks with their very own personalized USA hockey jerseys.

Travel over to Lake Placid was really easy on Friday. Took the ferry over from Charlotte to Ess e x, which you can see in the Friday Positivity thread. The leaves on the ride over to Placid were probably the best I've ever seen.

Team USA Locker Room.jpg

Shrmdougluvr

This thread has kind of stagnated, but here goes:

Just got back from a week with the family (wife and boys [8 and 5]) in Grand Cayman and here's the cliff's notes report:
  • Flew Delta round trip out of Albany w/ connection in Atlanta. The MD-88s out of Albany suck and hopefully will soon be retired. The new Airbus 321 to GCM, and the 757-200 out of GCM were very nice and had the TVs/Entertainment built into the headrests;
  • Concourse E at Atlanta International sucks;
  • Had an amazing trip (both wife and I liked it more than San Diego;
  • Stayed at the Westin on 7-mile Beach. It's basically a Westin but with the whole Caribbean theme. Quite nice. Pool was ok, but the kids dug it;
  • 7-Mile Beach is as nice as advertised. Amazing white sand, clear blue/green warm water. Ocean was placid but with just enough of a swell for the kids to enjoy. Did a lot of water sports (no snorkling or Scuba though);
  • Did two full days at the beach; two full days at the pool. Not enough chairs at either site so had to be pretty resourceful to ensure getting properly set up;
  • Stingray City is kinda campy and obviously touristy, but it was great and worth it;
  • Rum Point was ok (worked it into an excursion with stingray city);
  • The Turtle Center was cool. We only did the basic turtle part; and
  • Hell was a tourist trap, but it was worth the trip just to see more of the Island.
We didnt get around as much as we often do on our trips because I did not rent a car (thus we did not explore George Town [probably sucks based on name], Bodden Town, etc.). Holy cow were the locals super pleasant - and not superficially. Not just the staff at the hotel. The Island itself struck me as a little bereft of a true culture. That's not the worse thing, but it is definitely, particularly in the tourist areas, Americanized (not overwhelming so). We didnt eat high end but generally the food was good. Lot's of Mahi Mahi "Cayman Style", which uis a sauce similar to what we use on sausage and peppers. Everything was very clean, and safe. Honestly, i'd describe it as being pretty modest and earnst (even on New Years' Eve everything was under control; no ridiculous bathing suits; no sloppy drunks). Lots of taxis and "public buses" made it really easy to get around. Very expensive.

Now the challenge is finding another place we can fly to in 4-6 hours, that is clean, safe, and friendly, but not so expensive.

Shrmdougluvr

Straight through. From what I can tell, we charted a course over Marathon (on the Keys) and then through Cuba because I could pick out the Bay of Pigs.

Last edited:

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Straight through. From what I can tell, we charted a course over Marathan (on the Keys) and then through Cuba because I could pick out the Bay of Pigs.
Nice...I figured so but wanted to ask.

Have you taken your kids to Maine and the Maritime Region? They are probably at the age where going on a ferry or two would be cool. If time is tight I would drive to Portland, ME and take the Fast Cat Ferry to Yarmouth, NS. Then drive to Halifax and swing by PEI and back down through New Brunswick and Maine. Another option is to take the ferry from Digby, NS to St John, NB. on the way back.

https://www.novascotia.com/about-nova-scotia/getting-here/sea/bay-ferries-the-cat

Nova Scotia to New Brunswick Ferry | Schedule | Bay Ferries

Just my opinion on Cape Breton. Don't do it with kids. Too much driving and not enough
kid friendly things to do. PEI has Anne of Green Gables and the warmest waters of the north Atlantic for swimming. St John, NB is a cool city but probably more so for adults. If you like Lobster and Scallops you'll be in heaven. Best scallops ever in Digby, NS.

Last edited:

Shrmdougluvr

Nice...I figured so but wanted to ask.

Have you taken your kids to Maine and the Maritime Region? They are probably at the age where going on a ferry or two would be cool. If time is tight I would drive to Portland, ME and take the Fast Cat Ferry to Yarmouth, NS. Then drive to Halifax and swing by PEI and back down through New Brunswick and Maine. Another option is to take the ferry from Digby, NS to St John, NB. on the way back.

https://www.novascotia.com/about-nova-scotia/getting-here/sea/bay-ferries-the-cat

Nova Scotia to New Brunswick Ferry | Schedule | Bay Ferries

Just my opinion on Cape Breton. Don't do it with kids. Too much driving and not enough
kid friendly things to do. PEI has Anne of Green Gables and the warmest waters of the north Atlantic for swimming. St John, NB is a cool city but probably more so for adults. If you like Lobster and Scallops you'll be in heaven. Best scallops ever in Digby, NS.
We go to Ogunquit ME at least once a year for a long weekend, usually out of season. It's funny, at dinner, my five-year-old was just complaining that we dont let him go in the ocean when we go up (as opposed to Grand Cayman where he practically grew gills). We talked about trekking to Canada from there. I think first we are going to do Acadia.

DMDMD

unencumbered by the thought process
We go to Ogunquit ME at least once a year for a long weekend, usually out of season. It's funny, at dinner, my five-year-old was just complaining that we dont let him go in the ocean when we go up (as opposed to Grand Cayman where he practically grew gills). We talked about trekking to Canada from there. I think first we are going to do Acadia.
You won’t regret Acadia.

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
A great park...however, we were there in July and I got in the water...and lasted for about 3 mins. It felt like swimming in Lake Ontario in late May.

The shallow waters of PEI are much warmer than any ocean water in Maine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom