Trip to Fort Drum 8/21/16 | Syracusefan.com

Trip to Fort Drum 8/21/16

CuseLegacy

SU Football Team Shortens Drum Trip to One Day
By Brian Dwyer
Monday, July 25, 2016 at 05:18 PM EDT
SU%20FOOTBALL

FORT DRUM, N.Y. -- I first heard a couple of weeks ago. I tweeted it out, but didn't make it a news story or anything. It was just what I was hearing.

The information I got was correct.

Syracuse University's Football team will not be spending a week on Fort Drum this year as part of its training camp. The team will only come up for one day, Sunday, August 21st.

The information I have is that the team will conduct the youth football clinic and still do the paintball tournament and mix in as much as they can in one day.

The change is understandable. There's a new coach (Shafer was a new coach, but when he took over he was already part of the program) wanting to get things right and maintain focus.

Marrone & Shafer always talked about learning leadership and the fact that cell reception is so poor on-post, the players had to be together and communicate. It seemed to always be about more than just what happened on the field. I'm guessing Babers will still stress that as well.

I do know that four days meant a lot to the 3rd Brigade, who led this camp it when it started. It also meant a ton to the 2nd Brigade, which took over when the 3rd Brigade was eliminated due to budget cuts. It meant a lot to the kids and the spouses as well.

Lets hope the youth activities never end and maybe someday the tradition of spending a few days up here comes back (if warranted).

Let's also not forget what that week and those relationships made with Syracuse staff did for one young man who played college ball at Army. He had an NFL tryout, but duty called. He served his country. Alejandro Villanueva was allowed to participate in Syracuse's pro-day. He is now starting on the offensive line for the Pittsburgh Steelers. I met him that first year of this camp. He was still a soldier.

All of this can and probably will still happen. It'll just have to be done based off of one day instead of four.

----

Also, I will now have to wait until fanfest to meet Mike Hart again.

As a Michigan football fan, he was one of the best the school had. Also, showing my age, I was working at WSTM in Syracuse when Mike committed to Michigan. I covered that ceremony. It was back before kids made videos on planes or to mimic the Walking Dead. It was simply some hats and he put on the Michigan one. I'm sure that upset many a Syracuse fan, but I was maybe a little excited on the inside. Just a little.

I've still never seen anything like him.

I covered most of his high school games and if my memory serves correctly, he took it to the house on every carry. (Maybe not every, but he was the one guy I wouldn't even focus a camera on the quarterback. I'd start the zoomed in on his facemask and finish it with him standing in the endzone handing the ball to the ref.

----

Just so you know, I'm also a Syracuse Football Season Ticket Holder.

There's a lot of people that may think this trip was a distraction. Who really knows except for the team? They've never once said anything of the sort.

I can just go by what I saw everyday those kids were on-post. The moments of two people in uniform chatting. One a football jersey the other an army uniform. The mom holding her kid as his eyes popped open. The scrimmages, the autograph sessions. It was and on that one day now, will be about a lot more than football.

That being said, lets also hope the Orange can use this time to get better on the field, win games, stay healthy and do that both the right way.

Syracuse

SU Football Team to Visit Fort Drum Sunday
By Brian Dwyer
Friday, August 19, 2016 at 11:00 AM EDT

FORT DRUM, N.Y. -- I wrote about the decision to chop four days of Syracuse Football down to one on this blog a while back.

Thanks to fanfest being rained out, I will have to figure out some other way to meet Mike Hart again... stupid rain.

We'll have our Alex Valverde out on post Sunday to cover the team's day trip up here.

The team is expected to hold the very popular youth clinic Sunday morning.

Both Syracuse Head Coach Dino Babers and the Commander of the 2nd Brigade will meet with the media to discuss what I think are the very important reasons the team does come to Drum.

The two 'teams' will join each other for lunch and then the one thing that there was NO chance would ever be canceled, the paintball tournament.

Players, coaches and soldiers love this event.

My camera is still yellow from getting tagged a few times last year. (It was my dumb idea to go out on the battlefield).

What won't be happening are the various teamwork and leadership focused obstacle course events and the team scrimmage where players would also meet soldiers and their families for pictures and autographs after. That's too bad, but again, a new coach, a brand new system. I get it.

It's not four days, but maybe that's just me being selfish.

I'll be in my season seats all year long at the Dome, (I promise not to spend all game on my phone watching Michigan on the days they play at the same time.)

Anyway, I'll see you there?

Until then, here's to a very good and rewarding Sunday.

I hope the kids - both the ones on the team and the ones who's parents serve at Fort Drum - remember this day. Most civilians will never know how much it means to service members to have events for their sake. Service members leave their families and friends, all of what they have known their whole life, go to strange places where they know nobody. To see the appreciation of the locals, of the people they serve, the people they stand guard over, means far more than civilians can ever know.

Go Orange!

It doesn't sound good weather wise up that way today, which is too bad for everyone involved.

It doesn't sound good weather wise up that way today, which is too bad for everyone involved.
I think they did the youth football clinic inside the last season because of weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom