Trouble at Michigan State | Syracusefan.com

Trouble at Michigan State

I wonder what some of these kids that committed to MSU are thinking.

Not directed at you specifically Cuse Legacy, but I wouldn't think that this would impact them much at all or factor much into their decision-making.

Would be different if this involved the coaching staff there.

Not directed at you specifically Cuse Legacy, but I wouldn't think that this would impact them much at all or factor much into their decision-making.

In what Title IX investigators called “a sexually hostile environment," at least 16 Michigan State football players have been named in accusations of rape or violence against women since Mark Dantonio became head coach in 2007.

I think you underestimate the storm clouds on the horizon for MSU. The dominoes are starting to fall. With the AD out and allegations of multiple mishandled rape/assault investigations involving football players, it is very possible (maybe even likely?) that Dantonio is going to ultimately be forced out (much like Briles). At the very least it is an extremely unstable situation for anyone looking to spend the next 3-5 years in a stable program.

Read the article that Whitey23 posted. This is going to get ugly like Baylor.

I think you underestimate the storm clouds on the horizon for MSU. The dominoes are starting to fall. With the AD out and allegations of multiple mishandled rape/assault investigations involving football players, it is very possible (maybe even likely?) that Dantonio is going to ultimately be forced out (much like Briles). At the very least it is an extremely unstable situation for anyone looking to spend the next 3-5 years in a stable program.

Not so much underestimating as it was not seeing those other reports in the sports media. I was responding to the one about the AD resigning. What's coming up now obviously goes WAAAY beyond the Nassar scandal.

Mea cupla.

The caveat here is that this twitter account is run by a MSU student. I can see it becoming true though.
Students can have good sources. Would need a pretty highly placed source here but it could definitely be true based on all the info that's out there.

Even if the time frame provided by the source is wrong, it’s coming. It’s not if, it’s when.

Even if the time frame provided by the source is wrong, it’s coming. It’s not if, it’s when.
I think with the Michigan St President resigning yesterday and the AD today it is going to come sooner than later.

Really upsets me more about how we have been punished given the scale of problems at these other schools.

If they want to send a clear message to schools that may also be involved in this sort of thing, then the death penalty should certainly get peoples attention. I don't understand what it takes to get the death penalty. SMU was paying kids to play...death penalty...Penn State was covers up a child rape scandal...lost a few schollies for a few years. It'll be interesting to see what happens moving forward, especially in the light of the national #metoo movement.

Dantonio's solution to an allegation of sexual violence against one of his players was - wait for it - to have the player talk to his mother about what he had done.

That's...there's just no words for that. Even Art Briles is like, "hey man, you sure about that response?"

Dantonio is done.

Here's the excerpt in the Outside the Lines piece:
OTL: Spartan secrets extend far beyond Larry Nassar

"Allswede told Outside the Lines that about seven years ago, an attorney from the university's general counsel's department came to her office to try to reassure her that coaches were taking allegations of sexual violence seriously. Allswede says the attorney told her how Dantonio, the football coach, had dealt with a sexual assault accusation against one of his players: He had the player talk to his mother about what he had done.

"That did not reassure me at all," Allswede says."

If they want to send a clear message to schools that may also be involved in this sort of thing, then the death penalty should certainly get peoples attention. I don't understand what it takes to get the death penalty. SMU was paying kids to play...death penalty...Penn State was covers up a child rape scandal...lost a few schollies for a few years. It'll be interesting to see what happens moving forward, especially in the light of the national #metoo movement.
Two things. First, it's almost universal opinion the NCAA will never issue the death penalty again. Second, the NCAA, right or wrong, has basically stated they don't consider this type of stuff an NCAA issue. Before long, they may change their tune about number 2. Eventually, they'll have to start worrying about perception.

Two things. First, it's almost universal opinion the NCAA will never issue the death penalty again. Second, the NCAA, right or wrong, has basically stated they don't consider this type of stuff an NCAA issue. Before long, they may change their tune about number 2. Eventually, they'll have to start worrying about perception.
The Big 10 needs to step up to the plate in the Penn St, and Michigan St cases, and put both schools on probation for a few years. The NCAA doesn't have the guts to do the right thing.

So this goes back to when Narduzzi was at MSU. I wonder if he gets pulled in to any of this.

Whoa... do ANY of these people even... maybe read a newspaper or watch TV? Baylor and Penn State ring a bell, morons?

How you keep a culture like that AFTER everything you watched JUST happen to Baylor... amazing.

Whoa... do ANY of these people even... maybe read a newspaper or watch TV? Baylor and Penn State ring a bell, morons?

How you keep a culture like that AFTER everything you watched JUST happen to Baylor... amazing.
I think it was happening the same time as Baylor, it just took longer for it to come out. They were screwed no matter what. Maybe people in charge, and many fans for that matter, need to stop elevating sports to godlike status.

The Big 10 needs to step up to the plate in the Penn St, and Michigan St cases, and put both schools on probation for a few years. The NCAA doesn't have the guts to do the right thing.
Maybe that's an answer. Someone somewhere needs to promote transparency and accountability. It would behoove every school to take a thorough look at what is going on within their institution, and, if need be, clean house and open up before someone else exposes them.

I think it was happening the same time as Baylor, it just took longer for it to come out. They were screwed no matter what. Maybe people in charge, and many fans for that matter, need to stop elevating sports to godlike status.

That's fair. I just read more about the OTL investigation and it did seem to start around the same time as Baylor... just took so long to come out because MSU did everything they could to obstruct and delay the investigation, including going to court to block releasing campus police reports... and then appealing twice (including all the way to the Michigan Supreme Court), losing every step of the way. As opposed to the East Lansing police department, who by all accounts was extremely cooperative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom