Troy Weaver passes on Jazz GM job to stay in OKC | Syracusefan.com

Troy Weaver passes on Jazz GM job to stay in OKC

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
We owe Troy Weaver a lot.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympi...r-promoted--team-looking-for-replacement.html

http://www.nba.com/thunder/team/basketballops1.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Troy Weaver | Vice President / Assistant General Manager

ops_weaver_troy.jpg
Troy Weaver begins his fourth season with Oklahoma City and his second as the team’s VP/Assistant General Manager. Weaver joined the Thunder in May of 2008 and assists General Manager Sam Presti with roster development and day-to-day basketball operations. In addition, he coordinates the team’s player personnel matters including NBA Draft preparation, player free agency and summer league roster.

Weaver held the position of director of player personnel for the Utah Jazz in 2007-08. He spent three seasons (2004-07) as head scout for the Jazz before his promotion to director of player personnel.

Prior to joining the Jazz, Weaver was an assistant coach at Syracuse University for four seasons (2000-04). The Orangemen won the 2003 NCAA National Championship led by Weaver recruit Carmelo Anthony. In addition to his experience at Syracuse, Weaver spent time as an assistant coach at New Mexico (1999-2000) and Pittsburgh (1996-99).

Prior to his collegiate coaching days, Weaver amassed an 85-17 record as an AAU coach in Washington, D.C. He guided the DC Assault to the 1996 AAU Tournament of Champions.

Weaver graduated with an associate’s degree from Prince George’s Community College (MD) in 1991, where he also played one season of basketball.

Extremely underrated talent evaluator.

And talent developer, too. Weaver spent 4 years coaching the forwards and put at least one of them on the All Big East first team every year - Damone Brown (3rd team) and Preston Shumpert (1st team) in 2001, Shumpert again in 2002, Hakim Warrick (3rd team) and Melo (first team) in 2003, and Hak again in 2004. Since he left, only Demetris Nichols in 2007, Wes Johnson in 2010 and Kris Joseph (2012) have made the BE 1st team from the forward position.

Maybe Troy had something to do with Andy Rautin's mysterious appearance on the OKC summer league bench (he was with the bucks). Anyway, great recruiter and coaching asset.

Pretty certain that when Weaver was a scout with Utah he convinced the front office to sign undrafted, free agent Wes Matthews. Not too shabby.

And talent developer, too. Weaver spent 4 years coaching the forwards and put at least one of them on the All Big East first team every year - Damone Brown (3rd team) and Preston Shumpert (1st team) in 2001, Shumpert again in 2002, Hakim Warrick (3rd team) and Melo (first team) in 2003, and Hak again in 2004. Since he left, only Demetris Nichols in 2007, Wes Johnson in 2010 and Kris Joseph (2012) have made the BE 1st team from the forward position.

Far be it from me to be contrary, but how much credit should Weaver get for Shumpert's consecutive All Big East selections? Kid was a very good player who was well on his way with Louis on the coaching staff; he would've been All Big East in 2001 and 2002 if Billy Celuck had been coaching the forwards.

Nevertheless, an interesting run of recognition for the forwards in that era; surprised that subsequent years have been so lean. Probably a combination of increased talent in the (larger) Big East at the forward spots and a couple years in which Syracuse had some struggles. (And, it seems, years in which the Big East refused to name forwards to its first team - rather difficult to get all-league honors when your position is excluded.)

Also, surprised and disappointed to revisit the 2011 All Big East list and see that a.) Ricky Jackson was left off the first team and b.) the six-member first team consisted of five guards and Marshon Brooks. I don't recall, but that must have brought about some pretty impressive rants on this board.

Pretty certain that when Weaver was a scout with Utah he convinced the front office to sign undrafted, free agent Wes Matthews. Not too shabby.

I think he had moved on from Utah at that point.

Also, cue OttoMets' forty-seventh "too bad Paul Harris sprained his ankle; he would've been a decent pro" lament here.

Extremely underrated talent evaluator.

I say this in the most complimentary way possible for Troy... Is he underrated?

He was just offered the highest possible job in the talent evaluator field... and he chose to turn it down.

I take it as he really LOVES okc, or he knows he has more opportunities knocking.

We owe Troy everything...

I bet JB isn't coaching anymore, if not for Troy bringing in Carmelo Anthony.

We owe Troy everything...

I bet JB isn't coaching anymore, if not for Troy bringing in Carmelo Anthony.

And it's probably the difference b/w legend and very good

And it's probably the difference b/w legend and very good

Has any other big name coach been screwed over more than Boeheim? Keith smart shot 1987, facing one of the greatest teams of all time in 96, the A.O. injury in 2010, and Fab getting an A at chucks instead of other classes? Boeheim should at least have 2 by now.

Has any other big name coach been screwed over more than Boeheim? Keith smart shot 1987, facing one of the greatest teams of all time in 96, the A.O. injury in 2010, and Fab getting an A at chucks instead of other classes? Boeheim should at least have 2 by now.

keith smart and facing a great team isnt really bad luck.

in 96 we were a top 15 team at best. we werent even in the top 3 of the conference.

AO was tough to watch, I will certainly give you that. And IMO he gives us a cakewalk in the final.

And Fab could have/should have been handled better. JB doesnt baby players, sometimes players need to be babied.

Far be it from me to be contrary, but how much credit should Weaver get for Shumpert's consecutive All Big East selections? Kid was a very good player who was well on his way with Louis on the coaching staff; he would've been All Big East in 2001 and 2002 if Billy Celuck had been coaching the forwards.
There is no doubt that the talent of the players is a necessary precondition, but it is not sufficient. Neither Shump nor Damone were on any of the All BE teams, not even Honorable Mention, until Weaver came on board, and Hak's rise from lightly recruited, barely Big East material to consensus All American had to have some coaching influence, no?

SU placed at least one forward on the All BE first team every year from 1988 to 1996 (Coleman to Owens to Johnson to Moten to Wallace). Maybe it is just coincidental, but between the graduation of John Wallace and the introduction of Troy Weaver, no Syracuse forward made the All BE first team . . . all we have to show in that interregnum is a 2nd team honor for Todd Burgan and a 3rd team selection for Ryan Blackwell. Then only 1 (Nichols) in the first five years after he left. Weaver's four year run of first teamers (and 6 overall) right in the middle certainly stands out.

Melo, of course, would have earned the honor in any circumstance

There is no doubt that the talent of the players is a necessary precondition, but it is not sufficient. Neither Shump nor Damone were on any of the All BE teams, not even Honorable Mention, until Weaver came on board, and Hak's rise from lightly recruited, barely Big East material to consensus All American had to have some coaching influence, no?

SU placed at least one forward on the All BE first team every year from 1988 to 1996 (Coleman to Owens to Johnson to Moten to Wallace). Maybe it is just coincidental, but between the graduation of John Wallace and the introduction of Troy Weaver, no Syracuse forward made the All BE first team . . . all we have to show in that interregnum is a 2nd team honor for Todd Burgan and a 3rd team selection for Ryan Blackwell. Then only 1 (Nichols) in the first five years after he left. Weaver's four year run of first teamers (and 6 overall) right in the middle certainly stands out.

Melo, of course, would have earned the honor in any circumstance

It definitely stands out. I'll have to admit that I know way too little about the day-to-day coaching from 2001 to 2004 to know what effect Weaver had on our players. Still unconvinced.

I don't doubt that Boeheim would have no championships and very possibly no longer be the Syracuse coach were it not for Weaver and his recruiting success. Don't know enough about his coaching abilities; always considered him an AAU connection.