True Story | Syracusefan.com

True Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaytonCuse

Walk On
True, but sad story about the prior UC bearcat HC, now HC at Toothless U. When he went on recruiting trips, they could only book him on nonstop flights. You say not a big deal, everyone wants nonstops. But that was not the reason. His staff would have to take him to the airport and make sure he got the flight. If the flight had a connection, he would miss the connection. He would get off the 1st flight and find the airport bar and stay until it closed, thus missing his connection. So if a nonstop was not available, an assistant coach would have to go with him to keep him out of the bars. There were several trips where he never made it to a recruits home. This probably explains why he looks homeless and unshowered. I also have true stories about John Thompson Sr, Johnny Bench and Marge Schott.

1616256999424.jpeg

I think he has major alcohol problems. Think he has at least one dui.

True, but sad story about the prior UC bearcat HC, now HC at Toothless U. When he went on recruiting trips, they could only book him on nonstop flights. You say not a big deal, everyone wants nonstops. But that was not the reason. His staff would have to take him to the airport and make sure he got the flight. If the flight had a connection, he would miss the connection. He would get off the 1st flight and find the airport bar and stay until it closed, thus missing his connection. So if a nonstop was not available, an assistant coach would have to go with him to keep him out of the bars. There were several trips where he never made it to a recruits home. This probably explains why he looks homeless and unshowered. I also have true stories about John Thompson Sr, Johnny Bench and Marge Schott.
this is -- and I say it without an ounce of irony or derision -- the content I come here for

Last edited:
“God has a special providence for fools, drunkards, and the United States of America.”

Annnnd...

I have two true stories about Marge. The first is there was a very small window when you could have a meeting with her. She was never up before 1000 am and was too drunk by noon to have an intelligent conversation with her. Her two dogs were terrible. They were always in the office with her and there was dog hair and dog odor everywhere in that office. They were also not always potty trained too. Yuck. Secondly, my wife would sometimes get Reds tix that where 8 rows behind hers. She would always show up late and stagger down the steps to her seat. My wife and I would always comment that it was amazing how drunk she would be. As mentioned above, she would always sign her autograph for the kids.

I like Huggy. I think his players like him, and he's a good coach.

I never liked Marge Schott or Johnny Bench. Wouldn't mind hearing a negative Bench story :)

Bench had a huge ego and was often conceited and unapproachable. There were jealousies between him and Pete. He did a lot for various fund raising and charities, especially those that helped kids and especially during the season. I guess if you are the greatest at your position in the Major Leagues, you are entitled to have a big ego.

My one Huggy story which isn’t real terrible. We were I think in Pittsburgh in the NCAAs. SU and WVU were in the same location and staying at the same hotel. I stayed at the hotel also so i got to see players and coaches the whole weekend. It was the year WVU had the Jones kid. WVU lost so were done. That night, I’m standing in the lobby just chatting with some other SU fans. Huggy gets off the elevator with a couple guys that were obviously not coaches. Looked shady to me. He walks by us and said hello. Opens up the lobby door to outside and there’s a big black Lincoln waiting for him. We went outside too just to hang. One of the guys with him opens the car door and helps him into the front seat. Huggy sits down and between his legs on the floor is a blue cooler. While the door was still open and we could see, he opens the cooler and pulls out a beer and started handing beers to people in the back seat. He pops open his own beer, sees us looking at him, and kind of tips his beer at us as if to say cheers. His door is closed and the car pulls away. That’s all I got.

I met Pete Rose at his restaurant in Boca, when he was doing a radio show there. I interrupted him and some dude at a table for an autograph, then I asked him if he could reply to a few questions with 1 word answers, I wanted to get his impression of a few things. He said sure. So I said Texas Rangers, he said flash in the pan. I said Lou Pinella, who was managing the Reds. He replied, umm ok? With a question mark, which I found interesting. I then said Marge Scott. His reply was "misunderstood" so there's my Pete and Marge story. Dude belongs in the hall of fame. LGO!!!

I would like the Jt story. I don't what is wrong with the guys on this board not to have asked for it before now.

I met Pete Rose at his restaurant in Boca, when he was doing a radio show there. I interrupted him and some dude at a table for an autograph, then I asked him if he could reply to a few questions with 1 word answers, I wanted to get his impression of a few things. He said sure. So I said Texas Rangers, he said flash in the pan. I said Lou Pinella, who was managing the Reds. He replied, umm ok? With a question mark, which I found interesting. I then said Marge Scott. His reply was "misunderstood" so there's my Pete and Marge story. Dude belongs in the hall of fame. LGO!!!
Misunderstood? She said Hitler was good at the beginning but went too far. There is another word for that. And it isn't misunderstood. As for Pete, ever been in a major league clubhouse? I have. There are signs everywhere that say don't gamble. It is the one mortal sin in baseball. Rose is fine where he is at.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors