Truly, the beginning of the end of college sports | Syracusefan.com

Truly, the beginning of the end of college sports

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
A kid who hasn't played a day of basketball gets a $500K NIL offer.
People said the $1M for the QB coming in to Alabama was a BS story.
I am showing you that these stories are real.

Now, add to that what just happened with the portal decimating our rosters in both sports, a huge amount of player turnover, with no happy landings for 75% of these kids.

We lose our best recruit since Mali, maybe better, over basically not having a marketing plan already developed for him, for how much he can make from NIL here.

These kids were already single minded about being pros. Now, every "Johnny Football" out there, or basketball whiz from Hickory Notch can get a commercial deal.

Under the weight of the SEC willing to spend the equivalent of federal military budgets on college football, the Big 12 has broken up and been left in the dust. They will soon be part of the G-6, not the new P-4.

Interesting comment by Boeheim about the NCAA "stepping back" on certain controversial issues, and Boeheim says, "If they are not going to be involved in these issues, what do we need the NCAA for?" Now, certainly he has an ax to grind, but he's the first P-5 coach to say it out loud, "who needs the NCAA anymore?"

And then the scheduling alliance between ACC, Big 10 and Pac-12 (or however many they have ...) - interesting that it left out the roadkill of the "big 8 (used to be 12 ...)".

The only point here is to make sure that a comparable TV package can be put together with enough big intersectional games to make the "Remaining Other P-3" a formidable opponent, and still have (several) seats at the national championship table,

This last week or two, all the pretenses of the old ways just ended. It was bad enough that Bazely had to be a poster child for going straight to the G League instead of college. Now we lose another near Mickey Dee to commercial deals that we probably can't match.

Yipee. College sports is so much fun these days.

A kid who hasn't played a day of basketball gets a $500K NIL offer.
People said the $1M for the QB coming in to Alabama was a BS story.
I am showing you that these stories are real.

Now, add to that what just happened with the portal decimating our rosters in both sports, a huge amount of player turnover, with no happy landings for 75% of these kids.

We lose our best recruit since Mali, maybe better, over basically not having a marketing plan already developed for him, for how much he can make from NIL here.

These kids were already single minded about being pros. Now, every "Johnny Football" out there, or basketball whiz from Hickory Notch can get a commercial deal.

Under the weight of the SEC willing to spend the equivalent of federal military budgets on college football, the Big 12 has broken up and been left in the dust. They will soon be part of the G-6, not the new P-4.

Interesting comment by Boeheim about the NCAA "stepping back" on certain controversial issues, and Boeheim says, "If they are not going to be involved in these issues, what do we need the NCAA for?" Now, certainly he has an ax to grind, but he's the first P-5 coach to say it out loud, "who needs the NCAA anymore?"

And then the scheduling alliance between ACC, Big 10 and Pac-12 (or however many they have ...) - interesting that it left out the roadkill of the "big 8 (used to be 12 ...)".

The only point here is to make sure that a comparable TV package can be put together with enough big intersectional games to make the "Remaining Other P-3" a formidable opponent, and still have (several) seats at the national championship table,

This last week or two, all the pretenses of the old ways just ended. It was bad enough that Bazely had to be a poster child for going straight to the G League instead of college. Now we lose another near Mickey Dee to commercial deals that we probably can't match.

Yipee. College sports is so much fun these days.

Similar to the point I've been harping on in the recruiting threads. It's a totally different world right now. Those who played the game this way before that all must do now have a likely
advantage. With that said even they are competing with a growing list of pro options.

Similar to the point I've been harping on in the recruiting threads. It's a totally different world right now. Those who played the game this way before that all must do now have a likely
advantage. With that said even they are competing with a growing list of pro options.

It's nuts. The genie is out of the bottle. It's going to get to the point where Dick Vitale is screaming about how this Dukie or that one is getting half a million, or a million bucks to play. 'I remember when they used to just play for scholarships ... and whatever hanky panky they could get away with."

Child's play compared with today. Remember when Chris Mills was delivered to Kentucky for an Airborne Overnight envelope with $40,000 cash in it? They absolutely, positively should have used Federal Express!

In reference to recruiting, yeah, the sky might actually be falling.

Should I bump up posts mocking UConn for not getting in the ACC?

or does that not count because it wasn’t us?

fairness in college sports hasnt existed for many, many years. you just don’t like it because this time it’s not fair to us.

oh well...glad to see the players getting paid.

Should I bump up posts mocking UConn for not getting in the ACC?

or does that not count because it wasn’t us?

fairness in college sports hasnt existed for many, many years. you just don’t like it because this time it’s not fair to us.

oh well...glad to see the players getting paid.

The like or dislike may come down to fairness but the reality that things are headed down a different path with many new normals is what it is.

Did you guys actually read the article you are referencing. Duke doesn’t have an NIL deal in place for Liveley for 500k. The G League does…

Yeah - don't think it changes the reality that things are changing quickly but it was a gleague offer referenced.

Did you guys actually read the article you are referencing. Duke doesn’t have an NIL deal in place for Liveley for 500k. The G League does…

correct. my post was referring to the conference breakdown in the OP

new normals...
like Duke and UK getting top recruits?
or like top guys passing over college to play in the nba?

Multiple pro options so more guys bail on college. A clear pay to play in a legal sense now. Some schools may start stepping up via boosters/community while others back off. The new conference alliance discussions.. with how that plays out for hoops tbd.

For any kid now it's how much money can I make if I go here or there. Transfer portal free agency.

There is a lot that goes far past the status quo.

Multiple pro options so more guys bail on college. A clear pay to play in a legal sense now. Some schools may start stepping up via boosters/community while others back off. The new conference alliance discussions.. with how that plays out for hoops tbd.

For any kid now it's how much money can I make if I go here or there. Transfer portal free agency.

There is a lot that goes far past the status quo.

nothing you are mentioning is new outside of the legality of boosters and the elimination of forcing a player to sit a year for transferring.

all of this has been affecting college sports for many, many years.

31 years ago...31 YEARS AGO...
UNLV won with a team of paid JUCO guys.
Penn State went to the Big 10

nothing has changed.

nothing you are mentioning is new outside of the legality of boosters and the elimination of forcing a player to sit a year for transferring.

all of this has been affecting college sports for many, many years.

31 years ago...31 YEARS AGO...
UNLV won with a team of paid JUCO guys.
Penn State went to the Big 10

nothing has changed.

Of course it has - behind the scenes. I'm fully aware - and have heard directly from former ACC hoopers that this dates back to the 70s.

This opens up the gates for a much wider margin between those who will double up now that there is a legal path to do so. To think this will be business as usual just because there has always been under the table benefits is being in denial.

Put it this way- the compliance rules that banned compensation acted more like a psuedo salary cap of sorts. Now the salary cap is gone and we have a full blown collegiate form of free agency.

Of course it has - behind the scenes. I'm fully aware - and have heard directly from former ACC hoopers.

This opens up the gates for a much wider margin between those who will double up now that there is a legal path to do so. To think this will be business as usual just because there has always been under the table benefits is being in denial.
we’ll agree to disagree.

imo you and most on this board are looking at things as a Syracuse fan.

I’m reacting to the “omg college sports is dead” breathless takes as if Clemson and Alabama havent played for the football championship every year for like 10 years now

the ”wider margin” has always existed.

we’ll agree to disagree.

imo you and most on this board are looking at things as a Syracuse fan.

I’m reacting to the “omg college sports is dead” breathless takes as if Clemson and Alabama havent played for the football championship every year.

the ”wider margin” has always existed.

Not looking at it as an SU fan for a moment. Football has 10 programs hoops maybe 40-50. There is clearly still a league with some parity outside of that. This is going to likely further separate out those groups and make college even more like a pro league.

For SU it's more of a can we compete in that realm but overall this will finish off what is left. I'm completely fine with a European like system where it's the best two tiers and then the rest are a tier below that.

Even with the juggernauts there is still some semblance of this being collegiate sports as we know it. Once all the dust settles with this I figure it's gone.

We will see what happens as the conference alliances still have to play out

Last edited:
Speaking as someone who’s made a lot of posts laughing at Uconn this has pretty much been the progression so hard to get upset at it.

I mean color me shocked that the primary movers of a billion dollar industry would want a larger cut.

I am way more worried about the fact we haven’t had a ranked vs. ranked basketball game at the Dome since February 1, 2014 than I am about the fact college athletes are going to make money for their services.

Colleges/Universities make millions on the sports and so I say good for the kids getting a piece of the pie.

I am way more worried about the fact we haven’t had a ranked vs. ranked basketball game at the Dome since February 1, 2014 than I am about the fact college athletes are going to make money for their services.

Colleges/Universities make millions on the sports and so I say good for the kids getting a piece of the pie.

I'm not looking at it - or complaining - about athletes getting their cut.

It's the size of the NIL packages being talked about that is shocking. It's hard to believe boosters are going to cough up the kind of money usually reserved for desperate expenses like buying out an under-performing coach's contract, or upgrading the practice facilities, just for a high school recruit.

Not all of them turn out to be All Americans, and certainly not all of the ones getting paid are even guaranteed to hang around long enough to get really good.

I generally agree it sorta sucks for fans and people that donate to ADs. Give this a couple of years to shake out - the results of the transfer portal and NIL. I still have doubts on actual real money most of these guys can generate and the interests of boosters to pump money into it a few years from now if returns don't change. Tweener guys who move around will still be tweener guys at their new schools (Hi QG!) Bad contracts in the pros seem to pay for past performances and aspirations unmet - not sure what the college formula will be but there will be one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom