Truth: Jesse is one of the main reasons we win and lose games | Syracusefan.com

Truth: Jesse is one of the main reasons we win and lose games

FireballPhil

2nd String
Jesse to me is easily the most improved player on the team. The amount of his growth, especially relative to his position, is astounding. He did show flashes of this last year, but lacked the consistency needed to be a true threat. Fast forward to this year, and his growth, consistency, and stat line has grown. His improvement is one of the main reasons why we have the potential to be in and win games.

I haven't heard JB's presser but reading some comments everyone is upset at how JB threw Jesse under the bus and they don't understand. Here is why: when a defensive player jumps in the air at every head fake two things happen. One, the player is going to foul out. Two, the other team is going to score a lot of points inside. That is exactly how Georgetown won the game yesterday. It wasn't that they had the better overall team, I don't think they do. They just found and exploited, especially in the second half, this weakness. All they had to do is drop the ball down low, have that player drive, head or pump fake. Jesse jumps in the air. Immediately either go around Jesse for a reverse layup or pass to a player cutting to the basket on the weak side. Jesse will try to adjust in the air and foul, or you will have an easy layup. My wife got tired of me screaming at the TV yesterday for Jesse to hold his position. When Jesse learns this watch out. I wonder how many other players will fake Jesse then drive under his legs for a reverse layup until he figures it out?

We also win this game easily if we make our bunny shots. How many did we miss? The flow of the game stays with us though if we make those shots, and we win by 10 or 15. Many of these were fairly uncontested shots, at least as far as D1 hoops is concerned. But that happens to even the best of players, it just seems we need to do a bit more around the rim work in practice.

Lastly, it would have been nice if Benny would have gotten in the game in the second half. Partly for his family and friends as he played in his hometown, and partly because I think his defense would have helped Jesse a little in the middle. I think Benny is active enough that he could have disrupted the flow more and playing in front of everyone he had something to prove. Sometimes that little motivation is all one needs to have that break out moment. I just feel like maybe we missed an opportunity for Benny to have that moment.

Overall, I didn't have a bad feeling about the game. I thought we lost a game that we 100% should have won. It doesn't make me nearly as mad if we lose a game that we deserved to lose and I was mad at this loss. Sure part of my anger is the fact that we lost to Georgetown, a team I want to beat 100% of the time. But at least this team continues to grow. Buddy is figuring out how to score with bigger guys on him and the face guarding. Jesse is learning to man the middle without fouling out. Joe is learning how to bring the ball up under pressure and the team is figuring out how to help him when he is doubled. Jimmy has been surprisingly consistent for being in a new offensive scheme. Cole needs to grow comfortable with his shot. He is one who right now needs to work inside first and work his way out. Get his shot going first and he can be lethal. Symir can be effective but as had trouble finishing around the rim. Frank has been good in limited time but you can see he is still raw. I would like for him to get a bit more time, but without having a cupcake non-conference schedule it hurts especially his development. Same with Benny. I think this team in general could have used an easier non-conference schedule to come together a bit more cohesively. We are what we are in large part because of this. You can only advance so much in practice against the same people. You need game time to grow and become more reactive. Then add in they are all learning basically 3 different defensive schemes, and you have the recipe for a 5-4 start to the season. The question is how much of these growing pains will help. I think in the long run it will, these guys want to win, and have already improved. I believe they will continue to improve, and as they figure it out we will see a more fluid cohesive unit that will win more games than it loses. I hope.

We also win this game easily if we make our bunny shots. How many did we miss? The flow of the game stays with us though if we make those shots, and we win by 10 or 15. Many of these were fairly uncontested shots, at least as far as D1 hoops is concerned. But that happens to even the best of players, it just seems we need to do a bit more around the rim work in practice.
I thought this is obvious...but we don’t finish at the rim because multiple players on the team aren’t athletic enough to finish so we flip the ball up or have absolutely no touch. The only player that finishes consistently is Jesse...yet he got called out for his 1 missed dunk. So. Yeah.

I thought this is obvious...but we don’t finish at the rim because multiple players on the team aren’t athletic enough to finish so we flip the ball up or have absolutely no touch. The only player that finishes consistently is Jesse...yet he got called out for his 1 missed dunk. So. Yeah.
I don't think offense is Jesse's main problem, although that wasn't the first time he has missed a wide open dunk. And although he definitely needs to finish those I would rather him go strong than some of the weak layups he has tried and failed in the past. He can continue to work in this area, but it isn't a major concern...yet. Again, not listening to JB's presser yet, I suspect it has more to do with the flow of the game than anything, if Jesse makes that shot it changes a lot. We can't continue to miss those types of shots, and yesterday Jesse wasn't the only one to miss them.

Just a theory and I have no idea if true, but what if JB’s scorn is directed depending on actual physical capabilities. eg. he knows Jesse is capable of doing better and he also knows Jimmy is not. Whether or not Jimmy should play so much is another issue.

Jesse was awful in the 2nd half yesterday. No issue with JB calling him out I just wish he was even handed with his criticism.

Jesse to me is easily the most improved player on the team. The amount of his growth, especially relative to his position, is astounding. He did show flashes of this last year, but lacked the consistency needed to be a true threat. Fast forward to this year, and his growth, consistency, and stat line has grown. His improvement is one of the main reasons why we have the potential to be in and win games.

I haven't heard JB's presser but reading some comments everyone is upset at how JB threw Jesse under the bus and they don't understand. Here is why: when a defensive player jumps in the air at every head fake two things happen. One, the player is going to foul out. Two, the other team is going to score a lot of points inside. That is exactly how Georgetown won the game yesterday. It wasn't that they had the better overall team, I don't think they do. They just found and exploited, especially in the second half, this weakness. All they had to do is drop the ball down low, have that player drive, head or pump fake. Jesse jumps in the air. Immediately either go around Jesse for a reverse layup or pass to a player cutting to the basket on the weak side. Jesse will try to adjust in the air and foul, or you will have an easy layup. My wife got tired of me screaming at the TV yesterday for Jesse to hold his position. When Jesse learns this watch out. I wonder how many other players will fake Jesse then drive under his legs for a reverse layup until he figures it out?

Lastly, it would have been nice if Benny would have gotten in the game in the second half. Partly for his family and friends as he played in his hometown, and partly because I think his defense would have helped Jesse a little in the middle. I think Benny is active enough that he could have disrupted the flow more and playing in front of everyone he had something to prove. Sometimes that little motivation is all one needs to have that break out moment. I just feel like maybe we missed an opportunity for Benny to have that moment.

Overall, I didn't have a bad feeling about the game. I thought we lost a game that we 100% should have won. It doesn't make me nearly as mad if we lose a game that we deserved to lose and I was mad at this loss. Sure part of my anger is the fact that we lost to Georgetown, a team I want to beat 100% of the time. But at least this team continues to grow. Buddy is figuring out how to score with bigger guys on him and the face guarding. Jesse is learning to man the middle without fouling out. Joe is learning how to bring the ball up under pressure and the team is figuring out how to help him when he is doubled. Jimmy has been surprisingly consistent for being in a new offensive scheme. Cole needs to grow comfortable with his shot. He is one who right now needs to work inside first and work his way out. Get his shot going first and he can be lethal. Symir can be effective but as had trouble finishing around the rim. Frank has been good in limited time but you can see he is still raw. I would like for him to get a bit more time, but without having a cupcake non-conference schedule it hurts especially his development. Same with Benny. I think this team in general could have used an easier non-conference schedule to come together a bit more cohesively. We are what we are in large part because of this. You can only advance so much in practice against the same people. You need game time to grow and become more reactive. Then add in they are all learning basically 3 different defensive schemes, and you have the recipe for a 5-4 start to the season. The question is how much of these growing pains will help. I think in the long run it will, these guys want to win, and have already improved. I believe they will continue to improve, and as they figure it out we will see a more fluid cohesive unit that will win more games than it loses. I hope.

At one point Buddy was basically a ghost on defense. Also, JB said during the presser that the team was efficient in 1H on O and no in the 2H. Buddy had 17 points on 18 shots.

Jesse got knocked 3x in the presser and Buddy got complimented.

Jesse is infinitely better than Buddy on defense, who, at one point, looked like he forgot he was supposed to be defending the other team.

I don't think offense is Jesse's main problem, although that wasn't the first time he has missed a wide open dunk. And although he definitely needs to finish those I would rather him go strong than some of the weak layups he has tried and failed in the past. He can continue to work in this area, but it isn't a major concern...yet. Again, not listening to JB's presser yet, I suspect it has more to do with the flow of the game than anything, if Jesse makes that shot it changes a lot. We can't continue to miss those types of shots, and yesterday Jesse wasn't the only one to miss them.

LOL. Jessie has the HIGHEST FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE over a ten game stretch in program history.

You're literally saying "you need to be better than the best ever"

He missed one shot.

Complaining about his defense is ridiculous. Boeheim's "adjustments" this year require him to be everywhere at all times. Forget about 'Schroginder's Cat', re-name it 'Boeheim's Center'. I'm not going to complain about a player who is asked to defend the foul line, the corner 3, the post-up, and the drive. We have 4 slow footed guys surrounding him and he's asked to pick up the slack for each of them.

All I know is that if we had five guys that play as well as Jesse game in and game out, we would probably be somewhere between 8-2 and 10-0. If Jimmy really did not like Jesse's play in the second half why was Frank, who had a good first half, glued to the bench.

No, the Coach instead focus's on Jesse's one miss to divert away from the real problem children as he won't dare to criticize the golden three.

Sorry, but there have been too many passes for Jimmy saying that he is stubborn and set in his ways, when the reality is that this program has had a dramatic decline both in on court performance and perhaps more importantly in it's culture. Jimmy needs to do a lot more mirror looking and a lot less Jesse criticizing.

The streak has hidden the increasing toxicity of this program. Maybe, it will be best if it ends so the masking stops.

LOL. Jessie has the HIGHEST FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE over a ten game stretch in program history.

He missed one shot.

Complaining about his defense is ridiculous. Boeheim's "adjustments" this year require him to be everywhere at all times. Forget about 'Schroginder's Cat', re-name it 'Boeheim's Center'. I'm not going to complain about a player who is asked to defend the foul line, the corner 3, the post-up, and the drive. We have 4 slow footed guys surrounding him and he's asked to pick up the slack for each of them.
Best post of the year.

Maybe he should try this with his kid then . He's shot us onto the bubble already.
You can't bully a shooter into shooting a higher percentage. Also Jesse's ceiling is much higher, he can be an elite, super elite, bigman.

He missed one shot.

Our defensive strategy basically requires Rudy Gobert.

Edwards is the only player we have that impacts the game on both ends of the floor.

Agreed.

Players are going to miss shots -- even easy ones -- once in awhile. The kid is hitting 80% of his field goal attempts, counterproductive to criticize too much on that because he misses a few.

On defense / rebounding, he needs to get better. And he will, as he gains experience. But he could also stand to gain 20 "good" pounds, he needs some additional strength to lessen getting pushed around.

But there are probably about 10 reasons for why this team struggles before I get to Jesse. Rebounding / defense isn't all on him. He also erases mistakes that others are making with the up high / wing shot blocking.

He missed one shot.

No, what I said is it isn't a major concern, his percentage is indeed high but he has missed a couple pretty wide open dunks and easy layups. I also said it can happen to the best of them so I am not to worried about his offense. I do think he still has a chance to improve even more-like catching the ball a bit more cleanly and being able to go straight up with it.

As far as defense goes I am saying more about his leaving his feet on literally every single fake. That is what Georgetown also figured out and is why they were able to go small and just duck under him. They got him off his feet, went under or around him for an easy basket.

This post wasn't about anyone else on the team, there is plenty of criticism one can levy on each of them. It is about Jesse and how he can almost single-handedly be the reason we both win and lose games. His improvement has been nothing short of astonishing, and yet there is clearly a higher ceiling for him. I am excited to see him once he gets it all together, he is going to be almost unstoppable. He has the opportunity to literally be better than all the rest. We should want and expect this from our players. Records were made to be broken and there is no reason Jesse can't break a few of these. If you don't see this and are unable to be excited about his ultimate potential than okay, accept him for what he is now so your feelings don't get hurt.

At one point Buddy was basically a ghost on defense. Also, JB said during the presser that the team was efficient in 1H on O and no in the 2H. Buddy had 17 points on 18 shots.

Jesse got knocked 3x in the presser and Buddy got complimented.

Jesse is infinitely better than Buddy on defense, who, at one point, looked like he forgot he was supposed to be defending the other team.
This is a fan forum, but not sure why it makes so many feel so good to access or cast such harm blame. We all do it, myself (at times) included.

There is an inherent conflict in having one's own family on a team. Everyone knew this and gets it, including JAB. But some of the dissection of JAB's postgame pressers is just over the top. Some chide him for saying nothing or little ("we need to make more shots"), while others ridicule him as they count player references for the purpose of blame (Jesse got mentioned three times, Buddy one ...).

What do we expect him to really say? It is difficult for any person/father/coach to heavily critique his own blood. I do know this ... SU has greatly benefitted from having both Buddy, and now JBIII, around and headlining the team. I have never heard that it bothers the other players. I doubt that Quadary left for the swamps of NJ because JAB heaped unending praise on Buddy last spring. Everyone has good games. And some bad too. We could say that about any SU player the last 50+ years, with one exception: Carmelo.

We, as a forum grouping, should do our best to resist what is evidently an urge to make the Boeheim family a foundational piece of every SU hoops storyline. It is exhausting.

No, what I said is it isn't a major concern, his percentage is indeed high but he has missed a couple pretty wide open dunks and easy layups. I also said it can happen to the best of them so I am not to worried about his offense. I do think he still has a chance to improve even more-like catching the ball a bit more cleanly and being able to go straight up with it.

As far as defense goes I am saying more about his leaving his feet on literally every single fake. That is what Georgetown also figured out and is why they were able to go small and just duck under him. They got him off his feet, went under or around him for an easy basket.

This post wasn't about anyone else on the team, there is plenty of criticism one can levy on each of them. It is about Jesse and how he can almost single-handedly be the reason we both win and lose games. His improvement has been nothing short of astonishing, and yet there is clearly a higher ceiling for him. I am excited to see him once he gets it all together, he is going to be almost unstoppable. He has the opportunity to literally be better than all the rest. We should want and expect this from our players. Records were made to be broken and there is no reason Jesse can't break a few of these. If you don't see this and are unable to be excited about his ultimate potential than okay, accept him for what he is now so your feelings don't get hurt.
Jesse’s defensive numbers are far and away the best on the team.
what you think you see doesn’t match the reality of the numbers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom