trying to be optimistic - look at clemson's other games | Syracusefan.com

trying to be optimistic - look at clemson's other games

really the offense just needed to find away to score from inside the 10. reality is if we dont throw the first Pick and just kick the FG we probably just kick the 2nd one too and the long TD mistake never happens and as bad as it was for the offense its 17-12 an who knows.. everything after that the D still hung around until 10 min to go in the 4th..

Clemson has NFL Wrs who made plays and a really quick RB who made a play but the D did more than enough most of the game.

If we can get that level of D the next 9 games we have a shot with just decent offense. with last years offense we win Sat night.

We left a ton of plays on the field in the first half.. dropped a TD and missed some wideopen guys TD just didnt see. If Clemson had regular talent on D multiple other plays work. The TD bootleg was only saved because that guy is an NFL LB

the 2nd the oline got everwhelmed. but much of it was confusion too and that can be fixed given time. The lack of oline push is the concerning thing but thats been a 10 yr issue

really the offense just needed to find away to score from inside the 10. reality is if we dont throw the first Pick and just kick the FG we probably just kick the 2nd one too and the long TD mistake never happens and as bad as it was for the offense its 17-12 an who knows.. everything after that the D still hung around until 10 min to go in the 4th..

Clemson has NFL Wrs who made plays and a really quick RB who made a play but the D did more than enough most of the game.

If we can get that level of D the next 9 games we have a shot with just decent offense. with last years offense we win Sat night.

Agree completely. Thought the D looked pretty good.

when you get 1 centimeter of offense per play, it's pretty tough to score even with the ball inside the 10

when you get 1 centimeter of offense per play, it's pretty tough to score even with the ball inside the 10
which is why we just need FGs and not an INT and a loss on downs..

the Red Zone play calling is still being called like we have a functional OLine..

Here’s a bit more optimism - what if the schedule had started out Liberty > WMU > Holy Cross > BC > Clemson

Do we still lose? Probably. But our OL might be further along and TD has his growing pains vs lesser opponents

sandusky was the last big name successful defensive coordinator to stay put this long
He gets paid a fortune, enjoys his job and his son is still on the team. He isn't going anywhere in the near term. Clemson fans insist he's happy and doesn't have to deal with the pressure like other coaches who have left/failed have. They also claim he will take over in a few years (despite the obvious close age).

Yeah - the only way we were going to beat Clemson was to take advantage of every opportunity (i.e. the picks) and have a couple lucky breaks go our way. Unfortunately the opposite happened with the drops, failing to score from close, penalties, and the out of bounds call.

Not for nothing.. but just a slight change and both Picks get returned for TDs.. that would have been crazy and the offense still would have sucked.,
Was really hoping Trill was gonna get in on his. He was so close.

He gets paid a fortune, enjoys his job and his son is still on the team. He isn't going anywhere in the near term. Clemson fans insist he's happy and doesn't have to deal with the pressure like other coaches who have left/failed have. They also claim he will take over in a few years (despite the obvious close age).
There is a thought that everyone wants to keep climbing the ladder. Who knows, maybe he isn't one of them. Obviously, I don't know him but from his sideline demeanor he doesn't seem suited to being a HC. He's probably right where he needs to be and, like you said, gets paid really well to do it.

There is a thought that everyone wants to keep climbing the ladder. Who knows, maybe he isn't one of them. Obviously, I don't know him but from his sideline demeanor he doesn't seem suited to being a HC. He's probably right where he needs to be and, like you said, gets paid really well to do it.
I met a really nice Clemson fan in Florida at Disney world earlier this year -- I was wearing a Syracuse hat, he was wearing Clemson gear and we had a nice conversation. We spoke a lot about Venables and he seemed to know a lot about him...and said something similar about his demeanor and just being happy with where he is. He does what he loves, doesn't have the pressure that Dabo has and is paid more than some HCs make. Something to be said for being happy.

I met a really nice Clemson fan in Florida at Disney world earlier this year -- I was wearing a Syracuse hat, he was wearing Clemson gear and we had a nice conversation. We spoke a lot about Venables and he seemed to know a lot about him...and said something similar about his demeanor and just being happy with where he is. He does what he loves, doesn't have the pressure that Dabo has and is paid more than some HCs make. Something to be said for being happy.
Yeah, well, whatever. I want him gone.

It’s remarkable that they are able to have so much success and keep their coaching staff intact. That’s a huge advantage

This can't be stressed enough. The insanely low turnover on the coaching staff for a program that's having this much success gives benefits that can't be overstated to how big it's been for their run the last 4-5 years.

They've been able to build and maintain relationships with recruits, continuity for player development hearing the same voice and building rapport for their whole career, keep great minds with program knowledge in the program and the chemistry among the coaching staff to have everyone on the same page is all invaluable.

Their run is a perfect storm of tail winds that snowball into dynasties:
  • Top tier elite talents like Deshaun, the DL, Lawrence/Etienne/Ross/Higgins group overlapping to be there at the same time
  • Extraordinary continuity on an elite coaching staff
  • Having your program peak when the rest of your conference is in a trough
  • Coming out on the better end of the injury variable

Was really hoping Trill was gonna get in on his. He was so close.

It was a sign of the different levels of athleticism on each team. Our DBs couldn't outrun their O to the end zone. Just like Moe Neal couldn't outrun their D on that pass in the flat. Which is what this thread is about... Clemson is the best team in the game. Lots to be aggravated about, but... Clemson.

Speaking of coaches, I counted 59 coaches/support staff on the Clemson sideline; those were the ones wearing the orange golf shirts. There were some others wearing white and grey and I didn't even count them. I also tried not to count people who looked like trainers. Unbelievable.

I don't mind writing off Clemson, they have a #1 next to their name for a reason. But the OL has struggled 3 straight games. Clemson had 15 (FIFTEEN!) tackles for a loss. That's a single game record in the Dabo era. And their DL last year was better than this year's.

A Heckel return helps, but I think there are bigger problems. Not all 5 appear game ready. And it's obvious we can't afford any injuries at all.

missed some wideopen guys TD just didnt see.
Is tommy too short to see over his linemen?

The TD bootleg was only saved because that guy is an NFL LB
thought his balance left a lot to be desired on that and a few other plays. But even that said, those bootlegs are a lot more effective on 1st down not 3rd down.

The only games that are relevant to our game are Georgia Tech and Texas A&M.

What they did to Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Boston College were a completely different team.
That Clemson team had 3 DL drafted in the FIRST round of the NFL Draft. Cleelan Ferrell, Dexter Lawrence, and Christian Wilkins.
Those guys dominated us last year and had nothing to do with Clemson dominating us this year..

Our problems are the OL and QB need to play better.
We are lucky Clemson did this to Texas A&M the week before. It means they are really good but our OL is a major concern right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom