Turner Gill retires at Liberty / Hires Hugh Freeze | Syracusefan.com

Turner Gill retires at Liberty / Hires Hugh Freeze

Frozen

2022 Cali Winner (Rushing Yards)
New coach debuts vs. Syracuse next season.

B6AAFD55-A676-47D0-A90C-53E6BE16BBFB.png
B6AAFD55-A676-47D0-A90C-53E6BE16BBFB.png

Wait, Gill is going to coach SU? ;) That's a blast from the past.

Is Dino in the running? I hope we can handle that high speed liberty offense next season when Dino's got them humming.

Wow. Sorry to hear about this for him and his family. He did a good job there and helped increase the profile of UB when he was there. From all accounts he's a really good guy. Will be really curious to see who they hire. That job isn't for everyone.

Would be interesting if they promoted their offensive coordinator and former SU quarterback recruit Joe Dailey to be head coach.

Noticed that Liberty's AD is the former Baylor AD that hired Briles. Did Briles ever get a show-cause letter? If not, he's a name to look for. Going back to the well a second time seems to be the hip thing to do this hiring season.

New coach debuts vs. Syracuse next season.

i remember when Mike Bell in Atlanta (and im 99.999% sure David Pollack - yes David Pollack) criticized syracuse for hiring Marrone over Gill. Even brought in race card as to why Gill hadnt been hired.

While we were led by a Black AD and a Female chancellor.

i remember when Mike Bell in Atlanta (and im 99.999% sure David Pollack - yes David Pollack) criticized syracuse for hiring Marrone over Gill. Even brought in race card as to why Gill hadnt been hired.

A lot of folks claimed that was the same reason he didnt get the Auburn job. Might hold more weight down there since he's a black coach with a white wife. That probably doesnt fly well in Alabama

David Pollack is a phony, a doosh, and one of those guys who you know was a massive bully in high school and college

Noticed that Liberty's AD is the former Baylor AD that hired Briles. Did Briles ever get a show-cause letter? If not, he's a name to look for. Going back to the well a second time seems to be the hip thing to do this hiring season.

If Baylor’s AD can get hired at a Christian university such as Liberty after all the cover up BS at Baylor, I don’t see why the coach couldn’t as well.

A lot of folks claimed that was the same reason he didnt get the Auburn job. Might hold more weight down there since he's a black coach with a white wife. That probably doesnt fly well in Alabama

It was the reason. A lot of old money who wanted no parts of a Black coach with a white wife. Despite Gene Chizik winning a NC at Auburn, his record at Iowa State was horrendous especially his final season in which he went 2-10. He failed upwards to one of the better jobs in the country at the time. It made no sense. Outside of the 14-0 season, he was mediocre going .500 overall.

If Baylor’s AD can get hired at a Christian university such as Liberty after all the cover up BS at Baylor, I don’t see why the coach couldn’t as well.

Ha! I just read on FootballScoop that they had Hugh Freeze on campus as the special guest of President Falwell!

yeah i am almost positive it was the same year too. dont quote me on that but it sounds about right.

It was the reason. A lot of old money who wanted no parts of a Black coach with a white wife. Despite Gene Chizik winning a NC at Auburn, his record at Iowa State was horrendous especially his final season in which he went 2-10. He failed upwards to one of the better jobs in the country at the time. It made no sense. Outside of the 14-0 season, he was mediocre going .500 overall.

pretty sure charlie strong had the same issues for a few years.

Eh...it feels like the easy, go-to statement to say racism was the reason Auburn didn’t hire Gill. He flamed out so quickly at Kansas, it’s also possible they picked up on some things in the interview process which legitimately scared them off.

Accusing a southern school of racism because they’re southern and didn’t hire the black guy strikes me as it’s own form of bigotry.

Gill is a great guy...nothing has shown him to be an outstanding, high-level football coach.

Stop, that's plain ridiculous.

Stop, that's plain ridiculous.

Hey man, I didn't say it! Don't kill the messenger! It was all over media at the time. Even Charles Barkley (Auburn alum) made a comment about it.