Tweeting/Potential Violation | Syracusefan.com

Tweeting/Potential Violation

Interesting article- if coaches CAN direct message recruits via twitter, I'm hard pressed to believe that public tweets (by merely just fans and players mind you) are any worse off.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=4168518

HUGE HUGE HUGE difference. Coaches can recruit, fans can't. If you are not a representative of the University you cannot contact a recruit in any way, shape or form.

If they ever penalized someone for this, which they wont...every program would face sanctions

Signs from fans at games while kids are on visits, unofficial or not, are virtually the same capacity as tweeting (IMO) and I've never once heard of it being a violation.

HUGE HUGE HUGE difference. Coaches can recruit, fans can't. If you are not a representative of the University you cannot contact a recruit in any way, shape or form.

Good luck to the NCAA enforcing that.

Really, the lists of people that Universities have as boosters are ridiculous. I donated money to the University of Iowa in 2008 for flood recovery efforts, as a result I am now listed as a booster and get an e-mail from Iowa every year with the rules for boosters. That's asinine. But it follows the NCAA paradigm to lump all possible sources of "corruption" into one grouping and legislate against the whole category.

The problem the NCAA has is that it cannot possibly generate a "fair" list of rules, so it tries to throw everything under the same category and ban it. That's never a good approach, but it's an understandable one - having rules open to interpretation invites politics and inequity. In regards to boosters contacting recruits, Twitter is really a game changer - I don't think the NCAA even has the capability to address a Twitter world. It's going to require the NCAA to start drawing distinctions and making judgements that the rules currently in place were designed to prevent them from having to make. I don't have any idea what the new rules will look like, but there's going to need to be a completely new organizational paradigm before they can even start to develop them.

Generally organizations and people are really resistant to change, so I will predict the shift will occur when the NCAA tries to sanction a school based on twitter posts from fans and gets hit with a media backlash they weren't expecting.

Some day someone will be made an example of.

I'm considering donating to Georgetown and then twittering constantly to NN in an effort to "recruit" him to Georgetown. it would be awesome if I could be the one to get Georgetown on probation...

I'm one step ahead of you, I am a gtown booster(gave money last year to access tickets during yet another orange takeover of the MCI center).

I think I'll offer him a bag of cash and a chance to lead Georgetown in assists next year.