Two streaks likely to continue | Syracusefan.com

Two streaks likely to continue

SWC75

Bored Historian
1) SU had it's 49th consecutive winning season.

2) Baring a miracle comeback and Cinderella run, for the 39th consecutive season, no SU player will be in the NBA FInals.
SU in NBA playoffs: MCW’s Magic, Jerami Grant’s Thunder facing elimination

Actually, only three SU players in history have ever played in the NBA Finals: Billy Gabor with the Nats in 1950 and 1954, (he retired early the next year and missed the championship win), Chief Duval in 1975 and Marty Byrnes in 1980. No player who ever suited up for SU in the Carrier Dome has ever played in the Finals.

1) SU had it's 49th consecutive winning season.

2) Baring a miracle comeback and Cinderella run, for the 39th consecutive season, no SU player will be in the NBA FInals.
SU in NBA playoffs: MCW’s Magic, Jerami Grant’s Thunder facing elimination

Actually, only three SU players in history have ever played in the NBA Finals: Billy Gabor with the Nats in 1950 and 1954, (he retired early the next year and missed the championship win), Chief Duval in 1975 and Marty Byrnes in 1980. No player who ever suited up for SU in the Carrier Dome has ever played in the Finals.
Wow...that's an impressive set of stats...

Melo got to a conference final with the Nugs. Anyone else from the Dome era get that far?

Tyler Lydon is on the Denver Nuggets bench. They are 2-2 with the Spurs.

If Houston beats Golden State then he would have a chance.

Is lydon on the active roster?

Yes. He is but he is deep bench.

Denver Nuggets Roster

I didn't mean on the roster, but on the active roster. they had 17 on their roster but had to designate 15 for the active roster and I think 13 eligible to play any one game. was he in uniform on the bench?

So the big question the two streaks imply is: Is there a reason why the best teams in the NBA never seem to have Syracuse players on them? Do we not attract enough top-level talent? Have the probations held us back from recruiting the sort of players that would later appear in the NBA Finals? Is JB just a whiz at getting more out of our talent than expected? Does playing the zone mean that our guys aren't prepared to play NBA caliber defense? Or is it just a statistical anomaly?

It looks better when looking at family/relatives. Rakeem Christmas' father-in-law and Jerami Grant's uncle did okay.
I was confused because I thought Danny Schayes made it to the finals, but then remembered it was his father Dolph. Then I confused myself again because I thought, well Dolph made the finals but then remembered it was the NBA Syracuse Nats (had to look up that he went to NYU for college)...So at least there is another family connection.

So the big question the two streaks imply is: Is there a reason why the best teams in the NBA never seem to have Syracuse players on them? Do we not attract enough top-level talent? Have the probations held us back from recruiting the sort of players that would later appear in the NBA Finals? Is JB just a whiz at getting more out of our talent than expected? Does playing the zone mean that our guys aren't prepared to play NBA caliber defense? Or is it just a statistical anomaly?
I think it is a tribute to JB - I believe one of the myths that non SU fans nationwide think is that we always are loaded with NBA level talent. Elite NBA talent on our roster over the years has been few and far between - DC, Melo, maybe Billy Owens.

Also kind of the nature of the NBA lately. Going back 30 years or so, which would be 60 Finals appearances, the MJ Bulls (6), Kobe's Lakers (7), wherever LeBron was (9), San Antonio (6), GS (4 and counting) account for more than half of the Finals appearances. So outside of the players who got on those teams, that is going to leave almost any group of players at a low number statistically.

I think it is a tribute to JB - I believe one of the myths that non SU fans nationwide think is that we always are loaded with NBA level talent. Elite NBA talent on our roster over the years has been few and far between - DC, Melo, maybe Billy Owens.

“No one does less with more”...drives me nuts when opposing fans say that. Its legit the complete opposite