Two things that were very noticeable last night | Syracusefan.com

Two things that were very noticeable last night

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
So I watch a lot of NBA and our new lineup is set up similar to the Jazz- Four really good perimeter shooters and one 7 foot big guy who has limited offensive skills except for within two feet of the basket. I thought our team did a great job getting the ball to Jesse last night but I am posting a video that shows all different plays that can be run with the 7 footer. One area especially I feel, based on last night, is that we need to use Jesse more up top setting picks to free up our man with the ball to either shoot an open three or to roll with Jesse into the paint. This will allow the team to take more advantage of Jesse's size.

The next video has to do with spacing. Even though last night was probably the best three point offense we have ever run, I thought our guys got trapped a few times not being spaced properly on the court. If you watch this video, the Jazz do a great job running down the court and the guys all go to their four corners. From there a lot of great things can happen. Great passing, great cuts, great penetrating with passing inside and then back out. All of this leads to a lot of open threes.

So JAB, I know you are reading this, feel free to use this to get our guys to the proper location on the floor.

Utah Jazz Offense- Ball Movement (0.5 Concept)

Love ball screens with our center 30 feet from the basket
That's why they call it the pick and roll. Sometimes the shooter shoots and other times he rolls to the hoop with the 7 footer.

That's why they call it the pick and roll. Sometimes the shooter shoots and other times he rolls to the hoop with the 7 footer.
We saw a connection last night with Joe and Jesse. Hope it continues. Need Jesse around the rim though and the problem we have when we run high ball screens so far from the hoop (in past years) is there is no roll at all, nor a threat for a pick and pop.

I’d love to see Joe and Jesse have a similar bond that Trae and Capela have for the Hawks. Of course that would require Joe to be able to get around people more consistently which is a limitation, even if he got a screen. Love seeing Jesse active inside though as it’s an element that helps our team a lot.

Great stuff and points. To me when you have this ability in the college game, run it until they prove they can defend it. You see teams run it non stop in the NBA until the defense adjusts. Do the same here. Everybody will still get to eat just fine.

Great stuff and points. To me when you have this ability in the college game, run it until they prove they can defend it. You see teams run it non stop in the NBA until the defense adjusts. Do the same here. Everybody will still get to eat just fine.
It's a great blueprint. The Jazz are the #1 ranking in offensive efficiency and have made ten or more three pointers in over 80 straight games. Last night was just the tip of the iceberg of what our offense can achieve.

Last edited:
They did run the pick and roll a few times last night but the pass was not made to Jesse and no shot was taken. On second thought, maybe they ran the quasi-pick and roll.

They did run the pick and roll a few times last night but the pass was not made to Jesse and no shot was taken. On second thought, maybe they ran the quasi-pick and roll.
Nothing quasi about it. It's the ball handler's decision on whether he passes or takes it himself based on the positioning of the defensive player. Jesse just needs to be ready at all times. Overall I think we need to be very impressed with how much Jesse was involved in the offense. Something we didn't fully take advantage of when Marek played the post. Another big advantage that will help on the offensive end is our overall height. Excluding Joe, we should be taller at the other positions on a regular basis.

We saw a connection last night with Joe and Jesse. Hope it continues. Need Jesse around the rim though and the problem we have when we run high ball screens so far from the hoop (in past years) is there is no roll at all, nor a threat for a pick and pop.

I’d love to see Joe and Jesse have a similar bond that Trae and Capela have for the Hawks. Of course that would require Joe to be able to get around people more consistently which is a limitation, even if he got a screen. Love seeing Jesse active inside though as it’s an element that helps our team a lot.

The one year we had Chukwu out there it was like he was a double agent and we were playing 4 on 6.

If we got a basket once out of every ten plays, I'd be surprised.

The pick and roll is a great offense, but you definitely need the correct players running it.

I thought our team did a great job getting the ball to Jesse last night but I am posting a video that shows all different plays that can be run with the 7 footer. One area especially I feel, based on last night, is that we need to use Jesse more up top setting picks to free up our man with the ball to either shoot an open three or to roll with Jesse into the paint. This will allow the team to take more advantage of Jesse's size.
One thing that really excited me about jesse on offense is how high he kept the ball on the catch

he never put himself in the weeds by bringing the ball low for a carry dribble.

he catches the ball high and keeps the ball high through his drop step. Elbows out to defend himself. We havent had this in years

I think it's already obvious that this is exactly the way Boeheim's been planning to exploit his collection of superior shooters. They're already working on how they'll exploit the spacing they'll enjoy. Especially the opportunities it will give us to attack the basket.

Yeah, we'll definitely see that it's a priority for this team to feed the ball into Jesse, or Jimmy, or Benny for those paint touches. The more they work it in practice & games, the better they'll get at it.

Boeheim's always adjusted his offensive strategies according to the ingredients he has to work with. Not too long ago, he got to the Final Four with a very shallow bench by turning to a slow down offense, running out the full shot clock, attacking the basket w/drivers. When combined with a stifling defense, it worked rather well.

Boeheim's been drooling for such a team of outstanding perimeter shooters as the one he has this year. Many of his critics will be amazed...
Andy Samberg Yes GIF by The Lonely Island

moving screen

I just think it's a much harder play to execute in college versus the pros. The NBA game promotes spacing with a penalty to the defense if a defender tries to camp out in the lane. Not to mention, NBA bigs are way more talented which helps run the play more effectively.

If Edwards and any of our guards can actually get production out of the high screen and roll, I will really like our chances this year.

Quality of the screens, ability to rim run and catch the ball and finish, and the PG being able to do something are big too.

Chukwu screening for Howard 30 feet from the hoop wasn’t going to lead to much. Onuaku screening for Flynn often did though.

What stood out to me was the lack of turnovers off the dribble by our forwards against a shorter Pace and as mentioned the centers catching the pass high. I love the screen and roll, but when your 6'8 on both wings and 7' in the middle if you can get a good look off one or two bounces its as good as a screen and roll. That's why Guerrier scored last year inside but, the rest brass dolezaj werent ready. Our forwards looked way ahead of schedule from day one off the dribble, and that helped our guards find a few oops inside from Sy and Joe. Frank needs to work a left-handed finish inside 3 feet. It will be awesome if we have a few forwards who can pound the ball on the perimeter for a couple of dribbles against shorter competition.

Nobody likes the pick and roll game as much as me. But you need guards. Jazz have Mike Conley and Donovan Mitchell -- studs. None of our guards can even put the ball on the floor (maybe Torrence can, we haven't seen enough). This has been a major problem for years, and will continue to put a ceiling on our teams until we get some dynamic guards.

I think it's already obvious that this is exactly the way Boeheim's been planning to exploit his collection of superior shooters. They're already working on how they'll exploit the spacing they'll enjoy. Especially the opportunities it will give us to attack the basket.

Yeah, we'll definitely see that it's a priority for this team to feed the ball into Jesse, or Jimmy, or Benny for those paint touches. The more they work it in practice & games, the better they'll get at it.

Boeheim's always adjusted his offensive strategies according to the ingredients he has to work with. Not too long ago, he got to the Final Four with a very shallow bench by turning to a slow down offense, running out the full shot clock, attacking the basket w/drivers. When combined with a stifling defense, it worked rather well.

Boeheim's been drooling for such a team of outstanding perimeter shooters as the one he has this year. Many of his critics will be amazed...
Andy Samberg Yes GIF by The Lonely Island
The complement of shooters on this team reminds me of 2016 with Gbinije, Cooney, Malachi, and Lydon.

Quality of the screens, ability to rim run and catch the ball and finish, and the PG being able to do something are big too.

Chukwu screening for Howard 30 feet from the hoop wasn’t going to lead to much. Onuaku screening for Flynn often did though.
You mean causing Howard or Battle to be double teamed 35 feet away wasn’t effective offense?

One thing that really excited me about jesse on offense is how high he kept the ball on the catch

he never put himself in the weeds by bringing the ball low for a carry dribble.

he catches the ball high and keeps the ball high through his drop step. Elbows out to defend himself. We havent had this in years
Reminds me of Da Juan Coleman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom