Ty Jerome / Hunter / Guy / Diakite | Syracusefan.com

Ty Jerome / Hunter / Guy / Diakite

TinyManInside

Our only goal will be the western shores.
Ty Jerome is really the engine that made everything go for this UVa team. Reminds me so much of (non-demons) Billy Edelin, only he can hit a shot from outside of 15 feet. He's not particularly quick, but he can go wherever he wants to go on the court due to a combination of size, savvy, and guile. He made so many key plays for them over the final 3 games, and is the main reason why Bennett was fine with running the shot clock down to 5 seconds on every possession the last 5 minutes of every game. My god I wish we had a PG like him.

How does he get away with leading with his off arm and hooking, when Battle got called for it so frequently?
To be fair, Battle & Frank we’re called for this foul like 1/3 of the time they committed it, with Frank doing so twice as much. If off-arm warding & palming was called correctly, even by today’s relaxed standards, Frank may have never legally dribbled against pressure. Throughout his career, Frank consistently & egregiously palmed the ball while dribbling unguarded.

Ty Jerome is really the engine that made everything go for this UVa team. Reminds me so much of (non-demons) Billy Edelin, only he can hit a shot from outside of 15 feet. He's not particularly quick, but he can go wherever he wants to go on the court due to a combination of size, savvy, and guile. He made so many key plays for them over the final 3 games, and is the main reason why Bennett was fine with running the shot clock down to 5 seconds on every possession the last 5 minutes of every game. My god I wish we had a PG like him.
Could not agree more on Jerome. I think he’s a second rounder and eventually an NBA rotation player. I called him their best player and while I still believe that, hard to argue on Hunter, who is a top 12 Lottery pick. But Jerome is special. Good call on Edelin. I see Autry with a superior and quicker jumper.

To be fair, Battle & Frank we’re called for this foul like 1/3 of the time they committed it, with Frank doing so twice as much. If off-arm warding & palming was called correctly, even by today’s relaxed standards, Frank may have never legally dribbled against pressure. Throughout his career, Frank consistently & egregiously palmed the ball while dribbling unguarded.
Don't you think Frank is beating himself up enough without you lighting him up again?

Grew up in NY, but we didn’t even offer him because he wasn’t athletic enough for the zone and had actual basketball skills.

He is a great college player who has a better than average shot at sticking in the league. Everyone pushes off so I find that criticism a little vague. He has a great understanding of angles and changing tempo to get his shot off. Gets spacing and competes his a-- off. That pass off the bounce zipped to Guy in the corner for a 3 and then the drive and dish to Hunter for the tying 3......handful of guys in college or pro make either of those plays.

Grew up in NY, but we didn’t even offer him because he wasn’t athletic enough for the zone and had actual basketball skills.

doesn't look like much of anyone offered him. teams like Rutgers, st johns, Davidson, rhode island, manhatten, temple, Hofstra, etc. teams like that.

doesn't look like much of anyone offered him. teams like Rutgers, st johns, Davidson, rhode island, manhatten, temple, Hofstra, etc. teams like that.
He was a top 100 player by the end. I think Virginia started recruiting him very early on, had the inside track especially with Bennett as coach, and he committed early.

Absolutely agree with this post. He's a really good player and the biggest part, imo, is the part I bolded. The kick out to Hunter for the three was a beautiful play late that really helped UVA's chances of winning that game and he had a little baseline turnaround with 2 on the clock (I think that was him, though maybe it was Guy) that was huge.

To me this is the thing that makes UVA so tough. You can play 25 seconds of great defense and still give up a really good look in the last 5 seconds -- or they can make a tough shot in those last 5 seconds. That was really the difference in this game b/c Tech played well and made some shots but they really struggled (thanks in part to UVA's defense) to get good looks in key spots. UVA, meanwhile, shot 46% from 2 and three against a really tough defense. Pretty crazy.

Absolutely agree with this post. He's a really good player and the biggest part, imo, is the part I bolded. The kick out to Hunter for the three was a beautiful play late that really helped UVA's chances of winning that game and he had a little baseline turnaround with 2 on the clock (I think that was him, though maybe it was Guy) that was huge.

To me this is the thing that makes UVA so tough. You can play 25 seconds of great defense and still give up a really good look in the last 5 seconds -- or they can make a tough shot in those last 5 seconds. That was really the difference in this game b/c Tech played well and made some shots but they really struggled (thanks in part to UVA's defense) to get good looks in key spots. UVA, meanwhile, shot 46% from 2 and three against a really tough defense. Pretty crazy.
Jerome can create his own shot in about 16 different fashions. He can juke, spin, use speed (not great), change of pace, step back, bump, size/height, contort body. Great individual player within a team concept. UVa is a top 20 team without him, yet Top3/Champion with him.

UVA’s shooting was amazing. In addition to shooting 46% from 3, they shot an unbelievable 77% on their 2 point layups and jumpers. Surprised that the game was even as close as it was.

Excellent college basketball player. He'll hang around the pros because he can shoot. I can't see him defending at the next level. The idea that he's better than Hunter, however...

UVA lost Hunter and then lost to a 16 seed. With Jerome. That still matters. And Hunter will guard 1-4 in the NBA, which by default makes him a much more valuable player.

Honestly, if Guy wasn't blessed with being puny, he'd be the best pure player on that team by a wide margin. That kid is NAILS.

I was surprised that Clark played as much as he did. They were much better with the ball in Ty's hands.

Tons of guys push off with their off hand. And tons palm the ball, I think Moretti was the worst last night.

Surprised that Huff only played 3 mins - he averages 16 mins and is a 45% 3pt shooter!!! And our guys can barely make a layup.

He’s Gordon Heyward, redux, with better hair. Old man game.

Totally agree about the Edelin comparison. Jerome is better because he can shoot and moves slightly better. But that floater/runner of Jerome’s really reminded me of Edelin.

I get the sentiment, but this wasn't a recruiting miss. This was Bennett identifying a player early who wasn't getting big time offers and probably should've been. He closed the deal pretty quickly (at the time, Virginia was BY FAR the best school to offer him).

This was simply a massive win by Bennett / the UVA staff.

Both Jerome & Guy committed during the fall of their junior years in high school.
FYI, keep an eye on Virginia's 2020 commit, Carson McCorkle. He could end up being another.

Last edited:
How does he get away with leading with his off arm and hooking, when Battle got called for it so frequently?

That perplexes me as well. That's like when I watch Michigan State, I feel like Cassius Winston's primary move is just to shove the defender away violently, but I never saw him get called for it once. Not sure why someone like Battle seems to get called for it quite a bit.

I was surprised that Clark played as much as he did. They were much better with the ball in Ty's hands.

Tons of guys push off with their off hand. And tons palm the ball, I think Moretti was the worst last night.

Surprised that Huff only played 3 mins - he averages 16 mins and is a 45% 3pt shooter!!! And our guys can barely make a layup.
yeah i hope clark becomes a starter for UVA...not nearly as good as guy/jerome...UVA will take a big dip if they are relying on him to keep the team on top. not seeing it with him...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom